• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Spring Football 2023

Wake fans see Sam Hartman as the latest solid to good Wake QB in a fairly long line of solid to good Wake QBs.

The sports world sees Sam Hartman as some once in a generation talent Wake would be hard-pressed to replace.

Wake fans see Sam Hartman as the latest solid to good Wake QB in a fairly long line of solid to good Wake QBs.

The sports world sees Sam Hartman as some once in a generation talent Wake would be hard-pressed to replace.
It's funny how John Wolford's 3200 yard 29 TD (10 rush TD) and 6 INT season and pro career is completely forgotten, as is Newman's time at Wake.

I think you could certainly argue that senior year Wolford was every bit as good as “senior” year Hartman. Plus he had a decent running element to his game. Certainly our all world WR group the last 2 seasons blows away the 2017 group, with all due respect to Tabari Hines/Cortez Lewis/Chuck Wade/Scotty Washington who were a pretty good group.

I guess I am trying to gleam how much of a difference we see between the two. If Clawson had said that Kern was going to be the starter against VMI last year, I don't think I would have been surprised. Griffis and Kern are not identical quarterbacks by any means, but I am not quite sure what the drop off would be from one to the other. In either case, our WR group is going to be a huge help. Kern's decision to stay is also an interesting. He is on year 4 and could probably compete to start at another D1 school but he chose to stay here.

So my answer would be feeling intrigued, but not confident.
Confident is a stretch, but I'd be fine if Kern started a couple of games. There is a gap between him and Mitch, but it's nowhere near the gap between him and what's behind him.

Confident is a stretch, but I'd be fine if Kern started a couple of games. There is a gap between him and Mitch, but it's nowhere near the gap between him and what's behind him.
What's up with the D2 guy we got from Notre Dame college? His stats didn't scream D1 prospect, but its an area of need for us, so I can understand the coaching staff taking a swing.

I could be wrong (I’m not) but Ben Mauk was a starting quarterback at Wake Forest. And Taylor left after being recruited over and went to a JUCO, where he did indeed light it up.
He transferred because he knew he would be back up to Riley when he returned.

What's up with the D2 guy we got from Notre Dame college? His stats didn't scream D1 prospect, but its an area of need for us, so I can understand the coaching staff taking a swing.
I’ll have something on him on 247 later this week. I like him from a depth perspective because well they don’t really have any. Stats at CB outside of advanced ones(which we won’t have at the D2 level) mean little to me.

If you’re getting a ton of picks, that’s probably unsustainable or you’re in playing in phase which makes you extremely susceptible to get burnt extremely badly. Also the QB usually has a reason to be targeting you that much.

Tackles are fine but outside of stepping to the line to make tackles in the run game, your corner probably shouldn’t a high volume guy in that department. Ability yes, volume no.

Well, the guys in the Wake room have one start total.
true, but also 10 years in the system. . . which is also unique.

Not saying that translates to on field success, but most backup rooms have 2-3 years combined among a couple of guys, where we have 10 years amongst 3 guys (Griffis, Kerns, Marucci. . . I know, I know, he switched positions 1 season, but was still in the system)

He transferred because he knew he would be back up to Riley when he returned.
and he just had his arm/shoulder crushed. . . nothing was a given coming off that injury.

watched it up close that night, not pretty

Back