• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Spring Football 2023

Griffis isn’t a true freshman but a fourth year sophomore.
My comment was alluding to freshman year Wolford running for his life behind a very inexperienced offense line. Wake is putting some new guys into the 2023 O-line. Beef boys 3.0? How will they do when the opponent is serious? Left tackle is the spot that worries me the most.

My comment was alluding to freshman year Wolford running for his life behind a very inexperienced offense line. Wake is putting some new guys into the 2023 O-line. Beef boys 3.0? How will they do when the opponent is serious? Left tackle is the spot that worries me the most.
Claw has spoken highly of the OL depth. Most importantly, our OL will never be as bad as it was in Wolf’s first year

Claw has spoken highly of the OL depth. Most importantly, our OL will never be as bad as it was in Wolf’s first year
Yeah if the O-line gets that bad again then its time to show clawson the door. That O-line was worse than some high schools

I am somewhat of a skeptic on Wake lines (both offensive and defensive) because for some reason it has been difficult to recruit enough big, talented guys to Wake. And this goes back a long time.

I am somewhat of a skeptic on Wake lines (both offensive and defensive) because for some reason it has been difficult to recruit enough big, talented guys to Wake. And this goes back a long time.
Interesting take given that WF highest NFL draft pick each of the last 3 years has been a lineman. Boogie, Zach Tom and Kobie Turner.

Interesting take given that WF highest NFL draft pick each of the last 3 years has been a lineman. Boogie, Zach Tom and Kobie Turner.
These guys have been one at a time. Wake needs 5 O-line guys and at least 4 D-line guys every year.

These guys have been one at a time. Wake needs 5 O-line guys and at least 4 D-line guys every year.
DE Jacory Johns is in an NFL camp. Rondell Bothroyd is playing for Oklahoma next year. DE Jaseen Davis is projected to be an NFL draft pick. The 2022 DL was solid. Last year, WF had the best rush defense of the Clawson era, and was able to disrupt opposing offenses. The problem for the defense was that the secondary gave up too many big plays.

Offensively, Maginn and Nya are in NFL camps. OT Devonte Gordon will at least be an NFL UDFA. Jurgens will be a 5 year starter. FWIW, think the OL has played well the last few years. The scheme places those 5 guys on island; so, they will get beat sometimes, but WF is setting scoring records essentially each of the past few years, and the OL plays a role in that success.

FWIW, the DL concerns me this year with the loss of Turner, Johns, Bothroyd and Tyler Williams, but generally think WF has recruited well on the DL during Clawson's tenure.

It used to be a big deal to have a few guys in NFL camps. Now it’s just assumed a few guys get drafted and most of the rest will be in camps.

FWIW, the DL concerns me this year with the loss of Turner, Johns, Bothroyd and Tyler Williams, but generally think WF has recruited well on the DL during Clawson's tenure.
And Bergen. 3 departures from DT and we've had early attrition from that position recently (Gooden, Ash). It's why we've been relying on grad transfers for a few years.

Jasheen > Boogie > Ejiofor....?
I like this thinking. I also wouldn't short change Bothroyd. Dude was a menace. Would not surprise me to see him make some noise in Venables's system at ou and rise on some draft boards.

I'd love to see Bothroyd's hypothetical path if he hadn't fucked up his ankle early in the Louisville game. Went into last season thinking he was the most-draftable player on Wake's roster.
I would love to see our hypothetical path without that happening. Defensive depth remains one of our biggest issues in the Clawson era. Seems like we have some fantastic starters then the sheer face of El Capitan to the next guy on the depth chart. Felt that way when Greer went down last year too.

We could go through every position group of the Clawson-era and cherry pick standout players. The problem is almost always a lack of depth, not a lack of individual talent. This problem is exacerbated by leading the country in plays per game.

Imagine if our secondary or defensive line had the year to year depth of our receiving core, we would be one of the best programs in the country.

Hypothetical fill in the blank.

As a Wake Forest fan, if Michael Kern ends up starting 3 or 4 games this season, I am feeling ________________________.

Back