• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Spring Football 2023

Hypothetical fill in the blank.

As a Wake Forest fan, if Michael Kern ends up starting 3 or 4 games this season, I am feeling ________________________.
like I’ll have a lot more free time on Saturdays and during bowl season.

Fine. He's been here forever, he's looked good whenever I've seen him, and I still don't know exactly what separates Griffis from him.

Fine. He's been here forever, he's looked good whenever I've seen him, and I still don't know exactly what separates Griffis from him.
From what I’ve seen (which is very limited action where he’s not just handing the ball off to someone) Kern has a great arm and can make throws, but he doesn’t read the option very well, and it’s a little slow on running through his progressions.

Griffis is the better runner, and he can move in the pocket better (which is helpful given WF doesn't like to help its tackles).

To fill in the blank about Kern... "As good as you will find".

These days, experienced QBs never stay in the same system for 4 years without starting. If a QB isn't starting by year 2 or 3, he is gone. So, for most programs, the backup QBs are either true frosh, red shirt frosh (who already thinking about transferring) or walk-ons. Look at NDs backup QB situation. They would love to have Kern. Kern knows the system. He led a scoring drive at Death Valley in 2021. He can play. Don't think WF loses much is Kern plays.

I guess I am trying to gleam how much of a difference we see between the two. If Clawson had said that Kern was going to be the starter against VMI last year, I don't think I would have been surprised. Griffis and Kern are not identical quarterbacks by any means, but I am not quite sure what the drop off would be from one to the other. In either case, our WR group is going to be a huge help. Kern's decision to stay is also an interesting. He is on year 4 and could probably compete to start at another D1 school but he chose to stay here.

So my answer would be feeling intrigued, but not confident.

Hypothetical fill in the blank.

As a Wake Forest fan, if Michael Kern ends up starting 3 or 4 games this season, I am feeling ________________________.
Fine. Kern's floor is perfectly serviceable. His ceiling is just significantly lower than Griffis's.

Disturbed.

The coaching staff has clearly appointed Griffis as our QB1. So if he isn’t starting that would indicate there are some significant problems.

looks like Kern got his degree today

FwLHuPaXwAIJ-wS

Is there anybody who loves Wake more than Kern? He could have easily transferred and balled out somewhere else but apparently he's staying for a grad degree.

Last edited:
Easily balled out ? He couldn't even beat out Mitch Griffis for the starting job at Wake. Don't take that as a knock on Kern OR Griffis, but projecting a starting job and an All-Conference type performance elsewhere seems like a bit of hyperbole.

Easily balled out ? He couldn't even beat out Mitch Griffis for the starting job at Wake. Don't take that as a knock on Kern OR Griffis, but projecting a starting job and an All-Conference type performance elsewhere seems like a bit of hyperbole.
Do we really need to list out the QBs over the years that did go onto other schools to star???

Do we really need to list out the QBs over the years that did go onto other schools to star???
Biff thinks the only conference is the SEC.

Glad to have Kern as a backup but hope he doesn't see the field. I'm really hoping Griffis will surprise people. Wishfully thinking he would be a combination of Wolford/Hartman, with Wolford's ability to make plays with his legs and execute the offense and Hartman's mastery of the RPO. This team may need to start 4-0 with this schedule to make a bowl game and I hope the offense doesn't skip a beat. If the offense is rolling early on I could see WF being ranked ahead of the GT game.

Did I miss some big news about the QB position? Why are we even talking about this hypothetical?

Did I miss some big news about the QB position? Why are we even talking about this hypothetical?

Sorry, but I just thought that the idea that our third string quarterback from last season could just roll onto another college campus and put up big numbers was a little suspect. Regardless of the conference.

Sorry, but I just thought that the idea that our third string quarterback from last season could just roll onto another college campus and put up big numbers was a little suspect. Regardless of the conference.
Zac Taylor going onto Big 12 O player of the year @ NU, Ben Mauk leading Cincy to first 10 W season in 50+ years and a top 25 ranking, should I go on???

Zac Taylor going onto Big 12 O player of the year @ NU, Ben Mauk leading Cincy to first 10 W season in 50+ years and a top 25 ranking, should I go on???
I could be wrong (I’m not) but Ben Mauk was a starting quarterback at Wake Forest. And Taylor left after being recruited over and went to a JUCO, where he did indeed light it up.

Back