• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Spurs sign Josh Howard - Am I dreaming?

The Lenox interview and anthem thing definitely released the Josh haters in the WF Culture Army. And while Jaybone has a point that some never need an individual person's character to determine whether to attack when feeling the least bit threatened. But the reality is that there was plenty of WF folks who only needed Josh's straightfoward comments to a dickhead reporter and his personal comments which reflect a culture he's been a part of longer than that of Wake's to provide a "safe" way to finally attack him.

There was also a hatchet job by Lenox involved in that whole debacle.

I don't really have the time or the gumption to go back and match up the posters who ate/eat the WF "culture" argument up with a spoon (especially since they're so few and far between these days), but there's definitely overlap with the Josh bashers.

Are there many Josh bashers on this board, other than keeper and his groundskeeper son?

There is some serious revisionist history going on in this thread. I think by far, most Wake fans loved Josh. He did a couple bone-headed things but never anything bad. There weren't serious or plentiful Josh haters in the Wake crowd. Most directed their ire toward Lenox. But everything seemingly has to turn into an us-versus-them on this Board. Josh was a gamer and a fighter. Glad to see him teamed up with TD and Pop.

There is some serious revisionist history going on in this thread. I think by far, most Wake fans loved Josh. He did a couple bone-headed things but never anything bad. There weren't serious or plentiful Josh haters in the Wake crowd. Most directed their ire toward Lenox. But everything seemingly has to turn into an us-versus-them on this Board. Josh was a gamer and a fighter. Glad to see him teamed up with TD and Pop.

Maybe it's before your time since you have 10 posts, but in the Scout board days there were some incredibly mean-spirited threads and posts about Josh Howard, and not just about his views on geopolitics or the national anthem or fast cars. I agree that if you polled 100 Wake fans, the vast majority would love Josh Howard. Then again, if you polled 100 Wake fans, the vast majority wouldn't believe any of Wellman and Buzz's culture wars bullshit. My argument is that the two minority crowds are one in the same, and people in those crowds can suck a fat one.

Maybe it's before your time since you have 10 posts, but in the Scout board days there were some incredibly mean-spirited threads and posts about Josh Howard, and not just about his views on geopolitics or the national anthem or fast cars. I agree that if you polled 100 Wake fans, the vast majority would love Josh Howard. Then again, if you polled 100 Wake fans, the vast majority wouldn't believe any of Wellman and Buzz's culture wars bullshit. My argument is that the two minority crowds are one in the same, and people in those crowds can suck a fat one.

Yup. Josh used to take a ton of heat on the old board. Mostly from old farts who thought he was too thuggish, I guess.

I don't know how anybody could watch what Josh did in 2002-2003 and ever have a bad word to say about him, but to each their own.

didn't Reff or Keeper have a thread where they said they refused to stand while his number was being retired?

and it was something like I'll stand but not clap or I'll clap but not stand. Can't remember which.

Josh is washed up. Insignificant signing. Not sure he'll even stick on the roster for long. Hate to say it, cuz I've always loved watching Josh play. I didn't like the way he was run out of town in Dallas. He hasn't recovered from that mentally, and physically he doesn't have the tools anymore.

Don't confuse post count with how long I've been around. Reading the boards since at least 1999. There may have been a few people who didn't like the way Josh "spoke" in Lenox's article or his opinion. And yes some people talked about it on the Boards. But at the end of the day, Josh was respected. Frankly, it's a shame that an article posted about Josh and Timmy being united has turned into a thread trudging up stuff about Josh from years ago and yet another thread about who were the "bad" fans who didn't like Josh.

I recall people being a lot more pissed at Lennox than anything else. Who the fuck cares about Josh Howard's opinion of Iraq? Why is that worthy of an article? That is what I seem to remember. It was an unnecessary distraction created by a "journalist" who felt a college kid's opinion on Iraq was somehow relevant to basketball.

First, this discussion is about stuff also before the Lenox column like the "Josh is a cancer" stuff.

Second, there was serious discussion about postponing the NCAA Tournament due to the start of the war.

I could give a shit about some offhanded comment that Josh Howard said about the Iraq War.

This is what I'll always remember J-Ho for....

howard.jpg

...making Dook and Carowhina stans cry on a regular basis.

Very excited to see Timmy and J-Ho together on my Spurs team! If there is one coaching staff that can provide an environment for him to succeed in, it's Pop's staff!

149159-0-600.jpg

a-howard-030201.jpg

Now if only there was someway to make this Wake combination happen....

922693_10151660479939238_169069909_n.jpg

I didn't agree with Josh's opinion about the war but in no way did I hold that against him. Lennox was an ass for ever writing that artice. Love the kid and that speech showed his class and true character. Definitely got a bit misty-eyed watching that. Really hope Josh can make a positive impact on the Spurs.

I recall the biggest issue some had with Josh to be a perception of his "quitting on the team" one or more occasions. This was long before the Lenox crap and the Butler game comes to mind as a possible example. As his time at Wake progressed he clearly matured and I'm sure Skip and staff deserve some credit for that.

I've been disappointed in Josh at times (WS "drag racing" on bus. 40), but overall he's a warrior and I'll never forget his senior year.

Back