• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Spurs sign Josh Howard - Am I dreaming?

Pop said:
I think it shows good character on his part to do that and not worry about what people are thinking.

But... But... Culture!

Could it be that Bz had a hand in the Spurs providing this opportunity to Josh?

That's a fairly ridiculous assertion unless there's data to back it up.

Howard allegedly had an offer from the Spurs last season as well. It isn't like he's some unknown guy..he was a starter for the Spurs' biggest rival for 6 years.

After Josh sacked up and challenged his teammates, calling them out for the lackadaisical play.

Pretty revisionist there. The people that called Josh a 'cancer' didn't like his attitude on the court. If he had to throw a ball off a guy to make it go out of bounds, he would go for the face. He had fire and attitude.

He was called a 'cancer' well before the Butler game, it was during his soph season primarily. People can make up whatever reason they want for the 'cancer' comments but it was based on people's perception of his play on the court.

Many forgot about that when Skip helped him become an All-ACC player.

A cancer is someone who infects a team internally and drags it down. Why would throwing balls off opponents' faces make someone a cancer?

You could argue a lot of other names for that, assuming you found that act objectionable, but cancer? Doesn't make sense.

A cancer is someone who infects a team internally and drags it down. Why would throwing balls off opponents' faces make someone a cancer?

You could argue a lot of other names for that, assuming you found that act objectionable, but cancer? Doesn't make sense.

Keep in mind which fan base you're talking about.

Pretty revisionist there. The people that called Josh a 'cancer' didn't like his attitude on the court. If he had to throw a ball off a guy to make it go out of bounds, he would go for the face. He had fire and attitude.

That sounds pretty like a pretty awesome basketball player to me.

#bbdtakesballsoffhisface

Take it up with those that labeled him as a cancer. One of the many reasons some fans didn't like him.

Reports are that the Spurs released Josh yesterday, and that he is expected to play for their D-League team.

http://au.ibtimes.com/articles/517174/20131027/josh-howard-hordon-hayward.htm

"Meanwhile, the San Antonio Spurs have reportedly waived former NBA All-Star Josh Howard. Howard, who last played for the Minnesota Timberwolves last season, was signed to a non-guaranteed deal by the Spurs, but was released 24 hours after.

The small forward is expected to play for the Spurs' affiliated D-League team - The Austin Toros."

He was called a 'cancer' well before the Butler game, it was during his soph season primarily. People can make up whatever reason they want for the 'cancer' comments but it was based on people's perception of his play on the court.

Many forgot about that when Skip helped him become an All-ACC player.

Yeah, because that was his job. That's what coaches are paid the big bucks to do.

Fuck Buzz.

I hope people don't forget what a worthless tool Bz was when he first came here. Made absolutely no attempt to connect with the students and athletes outside the court.

Howard led WFU to a regular season ACC championship an was the UNANIMOUS ACC POY. He is a deacon legend.

Howard led WFU to a regular season ACC championship an was the UNANIMOUS ACC POY. He is a deacon legend.

I remember a lengthy debate that season over whether there was even such a thing as a regular season championship and how we shouldn't hang a banner for it. Being the lovely collection of self-loathing jackasses Wake fans are and all.

Josh Howard is Skip's greatest achievement as a coach. He took a kid from east Winston and turned him into a man. Josh was left to make his own decisions but Skip set the table. Good on him.

Josh made Skip look good. Josh was one of the best players to ever play for Wake. He covered up what a terrible defensive coach Skip was. Josh played ggreat defense and got a ton of offense and defense rebounds, by the time Wake lost to Auburn in the NCAA tournament Josh was exhausted for carrying a bunch of dead weight.

Skip was a great person, but he was a terrible defensive coach. Josh covered this up during his time at Wake. He was a badass and I would argue did more at Wake the Chris Paul ever did.

Chris Paul and Duncan are awesome, but my 3 favorite basketball Deacs Rodney Childress and Josh Howard

Dude me and J-Ho are gonna kick it so hard in Austin.

Might actually have to go to a Toros game.

I knew Josh well all four years at Wake. He was a solo recruit and he struggled to find his place on the team and at Wake. He admits that. He was always a shy kid, but I didn't know one person who felt Josh was mean-spirited or had an attitude. He was selfish at times during his sophomore and junior year because he didn't like it here. He spent most of his time with his friends from high school, his family. As mentioned, as a kid Josh thought Wake was literally "just some trees" and it became a commuter school when he first enrolled. Then Skip entered. He helped him focus. He motivated Josh. Josh became more comfortable in his own skin. He committed himself. I distinctly remember partying with him in the fall of senior year when he told me he was going clean for the whole season. People can pretend that it's no big deal and maybe it isn't, but it illustrates progress. What people also don't realize is that Steve Lepore joined Josh's class his junior year so he now had a classmate on the team and they became close, roommates even. Steve helped get Josh to open up, went out to campus parties with him, etc...Lepore wasn't much on the court those years, but he helped Josh a great deal. Josh Howard is exactly what makes Wake great. He matured here, became a great player, and he also recognizes how much Wake helped him even though it was a struggle at times. He's had his hiccups and was never great with the media. Sad thing is I doubt Josh Howard would last with this current regime if he were to step on Wake's campus right now as a freshman. Josh required patience from teachers and coaches alike--he was a typical teenager in that way. But for those of you who witnessed Josh getting his diploma--huge grin on his face, snapping a picture of himself and Hearn as the student body roared--then you can certainly understand why patience is a virtue when it comes to kids like Josh Howard.

Back