• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Spurs Thread

Cam Payne.

The Spurs got Cam Payne, cash, and a 2nd for a 2nd. So based on this early report, they got a vet PG and cash for nothing. He’s also another expiring contract.

I’m not a Payne fan nowadays but I’m fine bringing him in to compete for the 3rd PG spot. This frees them up to give up on Wesley if he doesn’t improve or trade Graham if he does.

Lamar Stevens’ contract becomes guaranteed if they don’t waive him by tomorrow.

Also reports that the Spurs are planning to build a new downtown arena.

Consolation SL game vs the Thunder at 7:30 on NBATV.

Last edited:
The Spurs got Cam Payne, cash, and a 2nd for a 2nd. So based on this early report, they got a vet PG and cash for nothing.

I’m not a Payne fan nowadays but I’d fine bringing him in to compete for the 3rd PG spot. This frees them up to give up Wesley if he doesn’t improve or trade Graham if he does.

Also reports that the Spurs are planning to build a new downtown arena.
Yeah I am probably hopelessly hoping for a vet enforcer. I'd even take PJ Tucker. Would like some bench 4 man toughness behind wild ass Sochan.

Don't love payne, but they retain flexibility and maybe he becomes a reclamation project (wrt consistency) for the staff. Becomes an effective back up or they can flip him.

Looking back his stats are better than I remember. Back in 2020-21, he averaged 8.4 pts, 3.6 ast coming off the bench on 48/44/89 percentages. That’s good.

His ceiling is solid all around role player (might change a bit on different teams) on a good team with a reasonable contract. His consistency has been poor. Coaching? Personnel fit?

I was talking about signing George Hill or Ish as a veteran. They did better than that with Cam Payne as long as he’s not asked to do too much.

Think this is gonna be a fun season.

I've never bought league pass but I'm considering it this year.

He just needs a decent jumper. Only 19. Doesn’t turn 20 until next April. I’m excited about him making the roster next season.

Good tweet on potential moves.

Fournier - became awful and did not play (DNP-CD) a lot.

Marcus Morris - again? Really? He does fill the PF "vet enforcer" role very well.

Cissoko - he needs to make the roster and get some spot minutes IMO. He's too good for G-league.

It’s more about consolidating the roster without waiving players. But Fournier had one bad year for the Knicks. Otherwise he’s had a nice career mostly as a starter. He and Bullock would be experienced guards. Two years left on his deal so the Knicks would give up some assets to get rid of him.

It’s an option.

The Spurs hit the salary floor with the Bullock trade. They waived Stevens today, so that's one roster spot taken care of. Jones and Mamu haven't officially signed their deals, so there are some more moves to come.

Last edited:
Cissoko signed a standard 3-year deal.

Mamu officially signed. So that’s three players to trade or waive.

Last edited:
Highest rookie rating ever.

Wembanyama is the first rookie to start the season rated in the 80s since Zion Williamson. He’s six overall points higher than LeBron James (78) was in his rookie season. Other notable rookies that have been given 80+ overalls are:

• John Wall (81)
  • Kyrie Irving (81)
  • Greg Ogden (80)
  • Derrick Rose (80)
  • Markelle Fultz (80)

For reference of where Wemby falls in the pantheon of NBA players, here are a few guys who had 84 overall ratings in 2K23:

• Andrew Wiggins
  • Fred VanVleet
  • Scottie Barnes
  • Cade Cunningham
  • Tyrese Haliburton
  • Jamal Murray
  • Christian Wood
  • RJ Barrett
  • De’Aaron Fox
  • Tyler Herro
  • Clint Capela
  • Evan Mobley

Most of these players’ overall ratings improved by the end of the year. The developers update the rosters weekly to account for who is playing well, and who isn’t. Wembanyama could end up in the 90s by season’s end with strong play.

Back