• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

St. Bonaventure Game Thread - Deacs win 77-62 off to 9-2 start

Woody have you been to a game? Overton is going to be pretty good. He is fundamentally very sound, plays great position D, is physically strong and has great passing instincts. He is still a kid but he has got the game of a cagey vet. His shot is good and it will get better as he becomes more comfortable. Watch him. On the bench, he really gets into the games-great enthusiasm.

Wow. What an odd game. Looked so bad early. So, so bad. We switch to zone early and it was successful minus the rebounding - and [Redacted] pulled it for the entire(?) second half and went man. And it worked - they hardly got any more offensive boards and we pretty much shut them down. Maybe because we were behind and were afraid a few more 3's would knock us out? Either that or we thought we had to put ball pressure on their point guard since he was destroying us. Say what you will about Madison's terrible offensive play - his pressure defense changed the game in the 2nd half.

Then at a time when this team historically would start jacking 3's, they actually settled for zero outside shots for, what, a 12 minute stretch (minus maybe one ill-advised Travis shot) until we got Coron a wide open look in transition? Then they double up the momentum swing with Travis making an absolutely fantastic extra pass to Coron who hits a 2nd three, extending a lead we'd never give up. I've been critical of Travis but that pass and his play after that pass were awesome. Vintage sophomore Travis, hope we see more of that. He makes a couple plays and suddenly we're making extra passes and getting layups.

Codi rock solid. Devin looked like he got his confidence back in the 2nd half and remembered he's quicker than most big men going left. Cav led in boards.

Will be really interesting to see what this team does when it runs into some legit talent. Kids really put up a gutsy effort tonight. A nice win, but something so underwhelming about that first half. Who the hell knows. At least that 2nd half was fun to watch.

The report is that Devin was sick and threw up at half. I really don't know how you play when you are sick in that way.

Travis was really into the game in the 2nd half. He was more animated than I have seen him and made some big time plays. I wish he could play with these sophs until they graduate. Very good 2nd half.

Really starting to believe in Codi. 20 points on 8/13 shooting and didn't take a single 3 (think his one attempt was in the final minute at the buzzer?). Just went at the basket, hard, over and over again. Tough as nails and he's hitting his free throws now (80% over the last 4 games).

Clever way to respond without addressing any of the body of the post to which you are responding.

Well, since you mention it, I fail to see how one's fanhood in 8th grade matters past middle school. Kind of a watered-down, inane version of the "grads over townies" argument that riddles the board from time to time. Unless you think Wake students should only be allowed in if they're from select parts of North Carolina and/or can identify the Demon Deacon mascot without hesitation by their 12th year on this earth? What a diverse institution that would be!

And I'm 30 so keep your labels off me, yo

Eric Williams and J Gray and CP3 played when I was in 8th grade

SUCK IT

and now everyone feels old. I may not win the debate, but I will live long enough to see a WFU without Ron and Buzz!

Seriously though, I am cautiously optimistic. The game at Xavier will be a decent barometer for us. We all knew preseason that we would blaze through the non-con schedule. Let's see how we do against the Musketeers, and then we can see if we have a shot at going .500 in conference play.

We didn't "know" we'd beat Richmond and the Bonnies. Those are definite positives. Now the criticism remains that this team hasn't done anything almost every Odom, Prosser, or Dino team would have done.

We didn't "know" we'd beat Richmond and the Bonnies. Those are definite positives. Now the criticism remains that this team hasn't done anything almost every Odom, Prosser, or Dino team would have done.

We are where most every Wake team with any coach expected to be heading into the ACC war. We had an easier time with the OOC this year and that's all well and good. This team gets its fair shot at the real deal. More power to them. I played on a team or two that wasn't well coached but came together and surpassed expectations. This team has that potential. But they would be better served with a different coach and I'll never back off that stance.

That isn't really a criticism, just a statement of fact. Not a whole lot to criticize right now outside of the UT performance.

Yeah. Given the bland schedule so far, it just is what it is. It's nice to not be pissed about losses to Richmond and the Bonnies, but it's not something to get excited about either. Wellman and Bz got what they wanted from the cake schedule.

It's comical that you have several posts pointing out strategic coaching moves that were made regarding 2nd half adjustments on defense, changing the rotation, adjusting shot selection, resting players in an opportune way, etc. that were/are instrumental in improving our chances of winning games.....then you have the usual people posting comments that "this team could be solid if it had a coach".

Who do you think is responsible for these coaching moves? Do you think the players have made all these improvements on their own, without any input from the coach? The truth of the matter is that some of you are so invested in your hatred of [Redacted] by now that you are not going to give him credit for anything....no matter what he does...because if he does well with this team it will mean that you are wrong, and your fragile egos cannot handle that.

The simple fact is that this team is much improved over last year....much improved....and it is continuing to get better with each game. It is not a world-beater, of course, but it is an improving team that has already shown a lot of resilience...and a lot of heart....and it is going to win more games than many of you thought (hoped?) it would. And [Redacted] deserves some of the credit for that....but he's never going to get it on this board.

This is year 4. Winning games against shit teams isn't a fucking accomplishment.

Also, I'm glad to see that you aren't dead. I was pretty sure you were until you just posted tonight.

Woody have you been to a game? Overton is going to be pretty good. He is fundamentally very sound, plays great position D, is physically strong and has great passing instincts. He is still a kid but he has got the game of a cagey vet. His shot is good and it will get better as he becomes more comfortable. Watch him. On the bench, he really gets into the games-great enthusiasm.
I will believe it when I see it. Until now, he has played up to the recruiting analysts' rankings and reports - he's not an ACC player.

And Ph said it best. Getting excited about wins over Richmond and St. Bonaventure is an insult to Wake Forest's basketball tradition.

Last edited:
And lol at good position D. He doesn't have the foot speed to keep up with ACC guards. And strength for a guard is overrated when said guard has no capability of driving to the basket. Foot speed is a lot more important - something Miles certainly doesn't have. Like I said, I'll be the first to eat crow if he proves me wrong.

Went to the game. We were really bad in the first half, most of it likely coming from the rust of the 10 day layoff. The second half was as well as I've seen Wake play basketball for 20 minutes against a decent opponent in five years. I'm not sure how many people who watched the game on ESPN3 noticed the vocal St. Bonaventure contingent sitting near the students. They started a couple chants in the mid-to-late the first half that actually backfired because it sparked the notoriously muted Wake fans. The second half became an ACC game-like atmosphere that was a lot of fun to experience in December with few students in attendance.

Last edited:

Eh, I predicted preseason that our OOC schedule was "too, too easy." Maybe I didn't "know" but I damn sure thought it'd go down like this.

All I know is that I like the fight in the guys that we have. If they put as much effort into the rest of the season as they have started it then we will be playing every team close for the rest of the season.

This is where we are in year 4 if bzball. Smh.

It's comical that you have several posts pointing out strategic coaching moves that were made regarding 2nd half adjustments on defense, changing the rotation, adjusting shot selection, resting players in an opportune way, etc. that were/are instrumental in improving our chances of winning games.....then you have the usual people posting comments that "this team could be solid if it had a coach".
A couple of years ago after a few games where poor player substitution and shot selection was thrown out as "proof" Bz was a horrible coach, I made the comment that Wellman told Bz he didn't have to win at the beginning of his tenure and IMO Bz was using games to coach more so than winning. He was letting all of his players get experience at key points of the game. I suggested that once Bz got a handle on his recruits ability, we'd see much better substitutions, shot selection adjustments, etc...in game coaching....that's when we'd see his ability to actually coach. That was scoffed at by a lot of people but it sounds like I may not have been far off. Glad to hear things are coming together. Bz may never have a personality a lot of people here like, but he may..may...just be able to coach a hell of a lot better than people thought.

Back