• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

St. Bonaventure Game Thread - Deacs win 77-62 off to 9-2 start

Boy I'm telling ya, every time ESPN showed Bz on camera last night he just looked absolutely miserable. I wish I had the skills to go back and review the game and splice together these images. And it's just downright painful to watch him go through the post game handshake line. Last night was no exception. I mean he just looks like a man that his going through the motions.

Well, that might not be such a bad thing. While it is certainly cringe-worthy right now, perhaps it is a sign of a man who knows he's done with this mess at the end of the year. Either he knows he's done the job he committed to 3+ years ago and can finally stop worrying about recruitment and PR misery or Wellman has set a goal for him that he knows is not attainable with this group of kids, who coincidentally, are definitely maturing and growing by the game. We *could* have a solid club next year if a lot of things go right and we can get a coach who can revive the excitement for Wake b'ball. We shall see.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

It might be right if you count actual fans there, players, coaches, referees, support staff at the Coliseum, and the people that drove by the Coliseum while the game was going on.

There are many legitimate things to attack Bz about, but I don't think you can claim he has checked out and is going through the motions. Sometimes he looks damn near distraught after an especially bad turnover. If I had to guess he knows he is coaching for his livelihood and actually cares a lot.

Wake has played three teams ranked in the top 100 of KenPom:

Kansas (lost by 9)
Tennessee (lost by 19)
Richmond (won by 10 in overtime)

St. Bonaventure was in the top 100 when we played them, but we beat them to an extent that they dropped out.

Wake will likely still have trouble winning games on the road against both good and bad teams. I suspect Xavier will probably beat Wake even though I don't believe this is one of their stronger teams. Wins over St. Bonaventure and Richmond are certainly games which Wake has generally won in the past, but these are still solid wins for this team. Really not much to criticize about this team so far. [Redacted] takes a while to make adjustments during the game, but that's just who he's always been...not a great game coach.

That's not to insinuate that he's that much better off the court, but his in-game adjustments are particularly slow. At least he made them at some point though.

I don't think it was an "attack", but rather an observation. Bzz has NEVER looked happy on the sidelines coaching WF b'ball. Hard to dispute that. I can't recall ever seeing him smile during a game. Then again, I haven't watched one single minute of any game this season.

Boy I'm telling ya, every time ESPN showed Bz on camera last night he just looked absolutely miserable. I wish I had the skills to go back and review the game and splice together these images. And it's just downright painful to watch him go through the post game handshake line. Last night was no exception. I mean he just looks like a man that his going through the motions.

I still really want a .gif of his whining face and hand motions after that one Madison turnover.

Why the deac not,
For what it is worth, Buzz and the rest of the staff were cracking up at the last media time out over one of the players comments coming into the huddle. So we know he has smiled at least once in his career here on the court.

Wake has played three teams ranked in the top 100 of KenPom:

Kansas (lost by 9)
Tennessee (lost by 19)
Richmond (won by 10 in overtime)

St. Bonaventure was in the top 100 when we played them, but we beat them to an extent that they dropped out.

Wake will likely still have trouble winning games on the road against both good and bad teams. I suspect Xavier will probably beat Wake even though I don't believe this is one of their stronger teams. Wins over St. Bonaventure and Richmond are certainly games which Wake has generally won in the past, but these are still solid wins for this team. Really not much to criticize about this team so far. [Redacted] takes a while to make adjustments during the game, but that's just who he's always been...not a great game coach.

That's not to insinuate that he's that much better off the court, but his in-game adjustments are particularly slow. At least he made them at some point though.

#machinegunhalftimeadjustments

They must be counting actual tickets sold, including season ticketholders who didn't show up and the student allotment that wasn't filled. Sad... hope things will improve once ACC play starts.

lol at everyone who things buzz is going to be gone next year. He's about to get his 10th win a month earlier than he did last year.... he only needs like 5-6 more wins to appease Wellman for yet another year. It's about time you guys stop whining about wins and start filling the Joel and supporting the team. Hopefully a nice win over a Xavier team will get ya'll on board. I'm not confident that we'll get that W but I'm certainly really pulling for the guys and hoping it happens!

You are pathetic. How old are you, and how many years do you have invested in supporting Wake Forest? I lived and died with WF sports for 28 years, from the time I was 11 years old....back when there were almost no WF games on TV and you had to scan the radio dial at night to listen to them. And I was the first (and only) member of my family to go to WF, so I didn't have that family connection taking me to games and making me predisposed to want to pull for WF or to go to WF later. And I was raised in this state....which fueled my early hatred for UNC, because when I was growing up that's who just about all the kids were pulling for.

My guess is that you are under 30 and either 1) a legacy kid, or 2) a person who only started pulling for WF around the time that he decided to go to school there...and had probably never followed WF before your last year or two in HS when you first thought about going there, and couldn't name a single WF player when he was in the 8th grade. About the only other scenerio is that you are fairly young and was raised in the area, having had exposure to WF as a result of all the games on TV that we have today.....but I'd bet on one of the first two scenerios.

Graduated in 2001. I am 34, almost 35. My parents both went to UNCG. What else do you need for your "Best Fan" dick measuring contest?

Fuck Jeff [Redacted].

They must be counting actual tickets sold, including season ticketholders who didn't show up and the student allotment that wasn't filled. Sad... hope things will improve once ACC play starts.

lol at everyone who things buzz is going to be gone next year. He's about to get his 10th win a month earlier than he did last year.... he only needs like 5-6 more wins to appease Wellman for yet another year. It's about time you guys stop whining about wins and start filling the Joel and supporting the team. Hopefully a nice win over a Xavier team will get ya'll on board. I'm not confident that we'll get that W but I'm certainly really pulling for the guys and hoping it happens!

I will never support the team as long as Jeff [Redacted] is the coach. Sorry.

I mean he just looks like a man that his going through the motions.

I completely disagree. Last night, [Redacted] was more animated and into the game than I have seen him in his entire time at Wake. He was stomping his feet and fuming and yelling. You are totally off the mark here.

There are many legitimate things to attack Bz about, but I don't think you can claim he has checked out and is going through the motions. Sometimes he looks damn near distraught after an especially bad turnover. If I had to guess he knows he is coaching for his livelihood and actually cares a lot.

Agreed. There are certainly some people on here that don't even watch the game, check the box scores, and then log in to complain and criticize.

His in-game coaching has not improved. Case in point is the Richmond game where he called our last timeout after a Richmond basket w/ enough time on the clock to advance the ball to half court and then get the TO if he wanted it. By immediately calling it, he allowed Richmond to set up a press if they wanted to (which they didn't do) and that bit us in the butt last year against Clemson IIRC?? Luckily, we got the ball in and CMM got the foul call and we went on to win the game. However, he still calls TO's 15 secs before the media TO (on multiple occasions this year). This happens against our so-called "cupcake OOC schedule as well. Can you imagine what the ACC will be like? He is NOT, and never will be, a good in-game coach.
And...he is a prick as a person!

You are pathetic. How old are you, and how many years do you have invested in supporting Wake Forest? I lived and died with WF sports for 28 years, from the time I was 11 years old....back when there were almost no WF games on TV and you had to scan the radio dial at night to listen to them. And I was the first (and only) member of my family to go to WF, so I didn't have that family connection taking me to games and making me predisposed to want to pull for WF or to go to WF later. And I was raised in this state....which fueled my early hatred for UNC, because when I was growing up that's who just about all the kids were pulling for.

My guess is that you are under 30 and either 1) a legacy kid, or 2) a person who only started pulling for WF around the time that he decided to go to school there...and had probably never followed WF before your last year or two in HS when you first thought about going there, and couldn't name a single WF player when he was in the 8th grade. About the only other scenerio is that you are fairly young and was raised in the area, having had exposure to WF as a result of all the games on TV that we have today.....but I'd bet on one of the first two scenerios.

And then you completely abandoned Wake Sports (at least basketball) because the AD didn't treat your boy Tacy kindly or some shit like that. Despite your old age and 28 years of supporting wake you don't really have standing to call people out on their fandom.

I completely disagree. Last night, [Redacted] was more animated and into the game than I have seen him in his entire time at Wake. He was stomping his feet and fuming and yelling. You are totally off the mark here.

Wasn't at the game so all I saw was what the TV showed me.

And then you completely abandoned Wake Sports (at least basketball) because the AD didn't treat your boy Tacy kindly or some shit like that. Despite your old age and 28 years of supporting wake you don't really have standing to call people out on their fandom.

BUT HE LIKED THE DEACS IN 8TH GRADE!!!!!!!

Wasn't at the game so all I saw was what the TV showed me.

Yeah I would agree with wakephan09 that Buzz was fairly animated last night and if I actually liked the guy I probably would have been applauding what he was doing on the sideline. That said, I understand your restrictions of only being able to watch what the cameras showed you.

Back