• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

State of the Buzz, Preseason

Do you approve of the job Jeff [Redacted] is doing as Head Coach?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This is a thread about Jeff [Redacted]. You realize that, right?

Kind of an odd thread for you to choose to make that stance on, IMO.

This is a thread about Jeff [Redacted]. You realize that, right?

Kind of an odd thread for you to choose to make that stance on, IMO.

I get that, but you could pick any thread about basketball and see similar posts to this. Not to mention, this is like the 30th thread started that has devolved into this sort of debate.

I see now...

Giving Jeff [Redacted] time to see what he can do here = Me trying to win an argument

Awesome!

ETA: In all seriousness, I do understand what has happened in the past (and now have seen it thousands of times), and of course it has influenced my opinion on Coach [Redacted]. If all the things DV7 has said are true then it no doubt proves that Coach [Redacted] has done some questionable things in the past while not getting a lot of wins out of it. That clearly leads most people to believe that past performance indicates future performance, which is a perfectly logical (and probably the right assumption to make). I understand that, but am willing to give him time here (since he is already here and not going anywhere for at least 2-3 years) rather than bitching about it at every turn along the way.

It is without a doubt the easier argument to get behind right now. I certainly understand that, and it can be done without re-hashing the same things over and over again. Everybody gets it and everybody knows what has been said.

I think it is time to just sit back and watch what unfolds over the next couple of years and stop yelling about things in the past.

Just my $.02.

The problem with your argument is that you fail to see the difference between accepting the reality that Bz will be here a few more years and being happy about it. Knowing that does not and should not prevent fans from expressing their frustration when he doesn't live up to what we expect of the head basketball coach at Wake Forest University.

The problem with your argument is that you fail to see the difference between accepting the reality that Bz will be here a few more years and being happy about it. Knowing that does not and should not prevent fans from expressing their frustration when he doesn't live up to what we expect of the head basketball coach at Wake Forest University.

Once again, I understand that people aren't going to be happy about it. IMO, there are more constructive ways than thrashing a coach at every turn to make the same point over and over and over and over and over and over again.

To each their own though...

I see now...

Giving Jeff [Redacted] time to see what he can do here = Me trying to win an argument

Awesome!

ETA: In all seriousness, I do understand what has happened in the past (and now have seen it thousands of times), and of course it has influenced my opinion on Coach [Redacted]. If all the things DV7 has said are true then it no doubt proves that Coach [Redacted] has done some questionable things in the past while not getting a lot of wins out of it. That clearly leads most people to believe that past performance indicates future performance, which is a perfectly logical (and probably the right assumption to make). I understand that, but am willing to give him time here (since he is already here and not going anywhere for at least 2-3 years) rather than bitching about it at every turn along the way.

Then I'll keep doing it. You just gave me a sniff of blood in the water.

great-white-shark-web.gif

So when we lost it was Coach [Redacted]'s fault, but when we won, he gets no credit because it was "inevitable that we'd beat 4-5 of them." Seems fairly inconsistent to me.

I have no problem with blaming Coach [Redacted] for the losses last year, but to discredit him when he gets wins is bizarre to me.

What? Basically, I gave him no credit for either the losses or the wins. I said that, IMO, last year he added no value, and our team basically beat the teams they couldn't find a way to lose to.

We had too much talent not to win some of those games, even if Walker ran the team, but we didn't beat anyone that was more talented than us (which would've indicated superior coaching on our part), and we lost quite a few to teams that were clearly less talented that us (which indicated poor coaching on our part, IMO). I fail to see how that is inconsistent.

What win do you attribute to Bzz coaching us to victory?

What? Basically, I gave him no credit for either the losses or the wins. I said that, IMO, last year he added no value, and our team basically beat the teams they couldn't find a way to lose to.

We had too much talent not to win some of those games, even if Walker ran the team, but we didn't beat anyone that was more talented than us (which would've indicated superior coaching on our part), and we lost quite a few to teams that were clearly less talented that us (which indicated poor coaching on our part, IMO). I fail to see how that is inconsistent.

What win do you attribute to Bzz coaching us to victory?

Ok I misunderstood where you were coming from. It just seemed like from the post I quoted that you were just taking him away from the wins while holding him responsible for the losses. My bad.

I give [Redacted] credit for the wins last year. All 8 of them. Kudos, coach!

No problem, I can see how you got there. For the record, I'm on board to see of Bzz can rebound from last year. In year two, he can show us improvement, but it has to be across the board, and most especially in team effort. It's not a lost cause, but last year was so bad that his leash is very short. If he bombs out with a similar performance, he's only got a placeholder year to get the 2012 class in, then he's gone.

How will Buzz be able to recruit 2013 without a contract extension? Do we give him an extension (totally unwarranted) but with a $2 buyout?

How will Buzz be able to recruit 2013 without a contract extension? Do we give him an extension (totally unwarranted) but with a $2 buyout?

Why not? Ron did it with Dino.

Good planning, Ronny boy.

Who needs stability when you've got 8 victories to sell? Eat our dust High Point!

I feel bad for 27. People are going to be jumping off the ship he's captaining after every loss, even if we all know right now that it's going to be a burtal season. But you simply cannot judge a coach until he has 3-4 seasons to teach his system, get the kids he wants, and implement a plan. Losing by 30 sucks, but I'm not ready to crucify Buzz for doing it with a bunch of freshman and sophmores.

But DV7 makes one very good point: There is literally 0 empirical evidence that Buzz is a good coach. He sucks on the road, sucks against opponents in BCS conferences, and none of that has changed while at Wake.

So I'll BuzzWait for two years but i'm pessimistic.

I feel bad for 27. People are going to be jumping off the ship he's captaining after every loss, even if we all know right now that it's going to be a burtal season. But you simply cannot judge a coach until he has 3-4 seasons to teach his system, get the kids he wants, and implement a plan. Losing by 30 sucks, but I'm not ready to crucify Buzz for doing it with a bunch of freshman and sophmores.

But DV7 makes one very good point: There is literally 0 empirical evidence that Buzz is a good coach. He sucks on the road, sucks against opponents in BCS conferences, and none of that has changed while at Wake.

So I'll BuzzWait for two years but i'm pessimistic.

Wait, what???????

Your points are somewhat logical except that Buzz said the EXACT same thing about building culture, blaming inexperience, etc at Colorado.... Under your logic, it would be impossible to judge Buzz because he's never stuck long enough for 'proper evidence'.

The only thing we have to go on is his actual results.

Back