• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

State

39 mins- 8pts, 3 rebs, and 1 assist- great game, guess I'm still an idiot

Is this sarcastic or serious?

He's shooting 15% from 3 and 35% from the field overall against cupcakes this year. He's an absolute liability on defense against everyone he plays. There was legitimate argument on this board about whether he or Codi would be better.

I am 100% not serious. If you recall I'm the one who everybody throws up Carter Cook's name for saying anything bad about Lewis. He is not an ACC starting PG period, there's no way around it but this board thinks he is headed to the NBA

Every time I see them play a team with a moderately capable coach, whoever Tyler Lewis guards gets the ball, the team clears out, and he gets dominated.

LOL at the teams combining to go 5/36 from deep but NC Central shooting over 90% from the line going 41/45. Must have been a really fun game to watch prior to the ending.

Got to give Bz credit for this one. Tyler Lewis is not an ACC level PG. Not only did he get killed on defense (NCC also was able to get the ball in bounds by going to Lewis' man when State tried to press), Lewis was 0 for 3 from 3, and had 1 assist in 39 minutes. Not only is CMM on an entirely different level from Lewis, but Madison Jones is definitively better. State will need to improve significantly to avoid a 8-21 (3-15) type of season. Would not be surprised if WF swept State; they have no answer for Devin. The ACC does look soft this year. 18+ wins for WF seems likely to me.

I am 100% not serious. If you recall I'm the one who everybody throws up Carter Cook's name for saying anything bad about Lewis. He is not an ACC starting PG period, there's no way around it but this board thinks he is headed to the NBA

Ah sorry. I forgot - your board name is a little generic (says the guy name DCDeac).

Got to give Bz credit for this one. Tyler Lewis is not an ACC level PG. Not only did he get killed on defense (NCC also was able to get the ball in bounds by going to Lewis' man when State tried to press), Lewis was 0 for 3 from 3, and had 1 assist in 39 minutes. Not only is CMM on an entirely different level from Lewis, but Madison Jones is definitively better. State will need to improve significantly to avoid a 8-21 (3-15) type of season. Would not be surprised if WF swept State; they have no answer for Devin. The ACC does look soft this year. 18+ wins for WF seems likely to me.

I'm not ready to completely write off Lewis yet. He had a better season last year than Jones, and I think he and Miller-McIntyre would actually play fairly well together. But he has definitely started slowly this year.

I'm not ready to completely write off Lewis yet. He had a better season last year than Jones, and I think he and Miller-McIntyre would actually play fairly well together. But he has definitely started slowly this year.

Better how? Minuscule per minute advantages in points/assists/turnovers? You'd have to completely ignore defense to believe Tyler Lewis outperformed Madison Jones last year - he was our best on-the-ball defender. Not to mention one of them had a supporting cast ranked #1 in the ACC to start the year and the other played for Jeff [Redacted]'s Wake Forest.

Free throw shooting is the one big advantage in Tyler's favor, but why anyone would ever foul Tyler Lewis is beyond me. He's taken 2 free throws this year.

Strickland (or somebody, but I'm pretty sure it was him) had a few posts last spring about how atrocious Jones was offensively last season. I don't have time to dig them up, but maybe somebody else will.

I tend to believe Lewis' scoring numbers and shooting percentages this year are more a function of having no help inside than anything else. Jones can't shoot the ball. Period. There is not a team in the country, including UK, KU, or dook, on which he would be able to shoot the ball effectively. Lewis, on the other hand, had a pretty solid stretch (small sample size alert) against Miami/Duke/Clemson/GT last season when he filled in for Brown. Jones could have accumulated all the minutes he wanted last year- Miller-McIntyre didn't have a particularly good season, especially as a PG, so Jones could have taken that position if he was capable. Lewis, on the other hand, was playing behind a 2nd round pick.

In the end, they put up similar stats with Jones playing 6 minutes a game more than Lewis. And maybe you watched more state games than I did last year (although I doubt it), but in the big games, I did not see Lewis getting abused defensively. He's never going to be all-defense, but he isn't a complete sieve either. I also tend to think Lewis' offensive skills offset his defensive shortcomings, while Jones' offensive shortcomings offset his defensive skills. But YMMV.

Not trying to pick a fight but Lewis' offensive skillset is producing terrible numbers with a ton of playing time against horrible teams.

Yeah, I disagree with most of that, but we just see different things I guess.

I see Tyler hit all of 5 three's during the ACC season shooting 25%. They lost both of his "great" games as he was virtually ignored on the offensive end. I see Madison shot 50% from field against the ACC. Mainly I certainly did see Tyler getting abused on defense as teams ran set after set to isolate him, and that's what I've seen from him this year playing horrible teams as well.

You can hide Tyler on a team full of NBA players as a backup point guard. And yeah, Madison can't shoot - but either can Tyler against a team that bothers to leave a player on him as long as that player has arms. Once they take a dribble Madison is a far better scorer by the numbers or by the eye test, they're not in the same continent defensively, ball-handling is a wash and Tyler has better court vision/passing skills. To me, it's a solid advantage to Madison, but we'll know soon enough as both go through a season of ACC play as starting point guards.

(And actually I wouldn't be surprised to see them both lose those spots)

BTW, noticed last night that Derek Whittenburg is now on State's staff, joining Bobby Lutz -- who just removed his name from consideration for the USC football job. Didn't mind watching Gottfried, Lutz and Whittenburg struggle with how to beat North Carolina Central. Not happy times at State.

Last edited:
Rough game, but that's to be expected with a team as young as we have. Think Central is the oldest team in the coutnry and NCSU is 324 out of 340. Definitely showed. Going to be a long season but should be a good building block for next years squad.

Listen, I don't care if Central has the most experienced team in the world. There is never an excuse for an ACC team to lose to a team that recently moved up to Division I.

But I admit I was tickled to see Central win. Misery loves company. Welcome to the basement.

Listen, I don't care if Central has the most experienced team in the world. There is never an excuse for an ACC team to lose to a team that recently moved up to Division I.

But I admit I was tickled to see Central win. Misery loves company. Welcome to the basement.

Losses like this are happening all over the place right now. Have you watched any college basketball at all?

TylerLewis.BBallPreview.440.jpg

Losses like this are happening all over the place right now. Have you watched any college basketball at all?

enlighten me as to which current ACC team, while playing at home, has lost to a recent DII/new DI? It may have happened but I haven't seen it. Belmont and Dayton and perennially strong "mid majors" if you were thinking along those lines...Any other examples you were thinking of?

enlighten me as to which current ACC team, while playing at home, has lost to a recent DII/new DI? It may have happened but I haven't seen it. Belmont and Dayton and perennially strong "mid majors" if you were thinking along those lines...Any other examples you were thinking of?

Check ken Pom out, NCSU losing to NCCU wasn't a shocker. Unless you judge things by when a team went to D1. Did you happen to catch the Cuse game against St. Francis the other day. And Cuse is a hell of a lot better team than State. Things like this happen when you are a young, crappy team.

Deficit Debbie Yow knows that you don't bankrupt an athletic department overnight. It takes years of firing good coaches and replacing them with busts cast in your own image.

Back