• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Steve Forbes credibility watch

Yeah. I expect Keller and MMM to contribute next season which would add to the depth. Guard/wing play is the strength of this team but that's where I'd like to see one or two impact transfers.

One thing I believe everyone will agree about the Coach. He is one heck of a guy with a persona and wit to match. Very likeable to boot! Compare him to the previous two idiots that were here and my thoughts revert to Wellman and the ten year train wreck that we all endured!

I mean, Reid is having his best season of his career after functionally sitting out last year and all summer.

Carr is playing the best basketball of his career this year after a full off-season with Forbes.

And idk, Marsh has definitely gotten better since he was benched. Maybe he’s not good, but he’s definitely gotten better.

If Keller stays then I think he will improve, too.
You're telling the Founder of the "Fundamental" Carr Club that Forbes worked magic and made him amazing. I've always thought Carr was good.

Reid is great but still inconsistent. He was also a 5-star recruit.

Jury's still way out on Marsh. If he can shape him and Keller into good players, then that's a nice track record.

Doral Moore, Devin Thomas, and JC became nearly unstoppable at the college level and very consistent.

That fact that people are trying to make the argument that Danny Manning was/is better at any single aspect of being a basketball coach than Steve Forbes is completely ludicrous. Take a breath, drink some water, maybe stretch your ham strings for a minute or two and think about what you are saying and who you are saying it to.

Devin Thomas averaged a double double his SR year with 15ppg as the primary threat. Dallas Walton averaged 9 and 5 his Senior year.
Devin Thomas had an extremely pedestrian O rating of 104.8 as a senior. Walton's was 116.6. Walton shot better from the floor and the FT line. Walton blocked a higher percentage of shots.

Thomas played on a horrible team, and somebody had to score, so he did score.

Advocating for Danny Manning as a basketball coach is a fool's errand, especially on the Wake Forest Sports message board.

That fact that people are trying to make the argument that Danny Manning was/is better at any single aspect of being a basketball coach than Steve Forbes is completely ludicrous. Take a breath, drink some water, maybe stretch your ham strings for a minute or two and think about what you are saying and who you are saying it to.

I'd rather go 0-30 with Forbes as my coach than whatever record Manning could muster. And I'd rather not have a basketball program than have Buzz in any way associated with the program.

The problem is that too many folks act like those are the only options. They aren't.

I'm glad we went from indescribably awful to a bubble team. But neither is enough to reclaim the amount of attention I once allocated to WFU basketball. I'll now watch if I'm home and realize it's on. I used to plan my days around games. I want to do that again.

I'm glad we went from indescribably awful to a bubble team. But neither is enough to reclaim the amount of attention I once allocated to WFU basketball. I'll now watch if I'm home and realize it's on. I used to plan my days around games. I want to do that again.

Same. But I think college basketball, or at least the ACC, has changed in addition to our decade of disaster. I know in the 80's and 90's I'd plan my weeks around high profile ACC matchups and could tell you the starting lineup of the Big 4 teams. Now? I can barely name 1-2 players from each team and that's a stretch. Of course, if we become great again I'll watch more closely but I certainly don't plan my days around our basketball program. If my buddies get a tee-time and it overlaps a Wake b'ball game, I'm playing golf.

Devin Thomas had an extremely pedestrian O rating of 104.8 as a senior. Walton's was 116.6. Walton shot better from the floor and the FT line. Walton blocked a higher percentage of shots.

Thomas played on a horrible team, and somebody had to score, so he did score.

Advocating for Danny Manning as a basketball coach is a fool's errand, especially on the Wake Forest Sports message board.
Okay. Your exhibit A is a 7 footer who averaged 5 rpg his Senior year. Dallas was a good player but he was creaky and his biggest skill was shooting 3s.

Dallas was a great player. And I'd love to have him on this team. But yeah I think the other players were better.

Okay. Your exhibit A is a 7 footer who averaged 5 rpg his Senior year. Dallas was a good player but he was creaky and his biggest skill was shooting 3s.
No

My exhibit A is Jake LaRavia

But yes - Dallas had awful knees and somehow Forbes had him become a much more efficient player than Devin Thomas.

I hate working at home. It is like I can not get away from work or home. Nice to have a separation. I am way more productive at the office

Damn shame what's happened to Wake and ACC hoops for that matter since my time roaming the halls with the late great Gentleman Carl Tacy at the helm.

Feel very grateful to have experienced the heyday first hand. It was a great ride!

I mean, Reid is having his best season of his career after functionally sitting out last year and all summer.

Carr is playing the best basketball of his career this year after a full off-season with Forbes.

And idk, Marsh has definitely gotten better since he was benched. Maybe he’s not good, but he’s definitely gotten better.

If Keller stays then I think he will improve, too.

Carr is playing well but had some inside game when he walked on campus. Outside of that I don’t know what you are watching on the floor. Reid, as much as I like him and the team needs him, does not have any sort of polished inside game. Marsh, I am almost as surprised as him when he makes a post move other than lob dunk.

We need someone to develop some simple post moves, glass shots (a la T-Owens) or improve the hook.

Same. But I think college basketball, or at least the ACC, has changed in addition to our decade of disaster. I know in the 80's and 90's I'd plan my weeks around high profile ACC matchups and could tell you the starting lineup of the Big 4 teams. Now? I can barely name 1-2 players from each team and that's a stretch. Of course, if we become great again I'll watch more closely but I certainly don't plan my days around our basketball program. If my buddies get a tee-time and it overlaps a Wake b'ball game, I'm playing golf.
This is me to a tee (pun intended). Back in the 80's/90's I was so knowledgebale about Wake and ACC basketball (heck, all of NCAA basketball) that before the season I would take our schedule and put a W or L against each opponent, and from that I would project our best case/worst case projection for the season. Not only do I not know much about any team outside of Wake, I never look at the schedule to see who's up next and when; just wait for this board to post it.

I've generally been in support of Forbes, though I'm certainly not in the "any modicum of improvement is good enough regardless of whether we ever make the NCAA tournament again" camp. My view of him after this season will be heavily influenced by what he does with Cam. I personally hope he benches Cam for the first half against Pitt. If he doesn't make any clear effort to rein Cam in for the remainder of the season, that will be a big disappointment.

Back