• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Steve Forbes credibility watch

Given that there is about .001% chance of Forbes being let go this year, I still come back to something that I think could help us immediately. Bring a young, tactical assistant on-board and let him be the grease board guy for Forbes. Basically, let Forbes be the face of the program, work the NIL but let a very strong assistant gameplan much like a high-end offensive coordinator runs half the team in college football.

Something needs to be tweaked and given that Forbes isn't going anywhere, making changes beneath him might help matters.

210416aMiller007_71.jpg

If Currie thinks he can find that young diamond in the rough or a head turner named head coach, then swing for the fences now. Obviously, Forbes has had to deal with a lot of family medical issues over the last year. However, I wouldn’t be worried about canning him, kicking him out to the streets, without being able to provide for his family. He’ll still earn millions from Wake until another school hires him or if he chooses to go back into coaching.

Given that there is about .001% chance of Forbes being let go this year, I still come back to something that I think could help us immediately. Bring a young, tactical assistant on-board and let him be the grease board guy for Forbes. Basically, let Forbes be the face of the program, work the NIL but let a very strong assistant gameplan much like a high-end offensive coordinator runs half the team in college football.

Something needs to be tweaked and given that Forbes isn't going anywhere, making changes beneath him might help matters.

I was about to post that Forbes needs to complement himself with his assistants, such as hire a whiz defense assistant coach and or a great high school recruitier.

I was about to post that Forbes needs to complement himself with his assistants, such as hire a whiz defense assistant coach and or a great high school recruitier.

Yep. Different sport but Saban essentially did this for a good part of his tenure at Bama. He got the fish in the boat, taught the psychology and motivation part and left much of the X's and O's to top-shelf coordinators and assistants. There's no shame in that model. But, something needs to change somewhere. I hope Forbes has the self-awareness to realize this fact.

I don't remember Altman's name even coming up when we were discussing coaching options. Oregon and WF were not that dissimilar at that period, WF probably was better. And now we can't sniff their tournament record.
The [redacted] hire really changed the trajectory of the program. Wake made the tournament from 2001-2005, then from 2008-2010 with down years after Duncan and CP3. Wake could've made a much better hire in 2010 after Dino was let go. What Wellman was thinking at that time is still a mystery.

I know we all enjoy the mental masturbation of all this. But Forbes won ACC COY two seasons ago. First time since some guy named Prosser 20 years ago. And he's proven he can recruit the portal. We're not where we want to be. But a helluva lot closer to being there with Forbes than we were in the last decade. I'm not happy with the way things ended. But be serious. No way is anyone firing Forbes. Not for awhile

I'd rather our bigs test their luck chucking threes from the logo all game than letting Manning anywhere near them.

One has to remember that Forbes worked for three of the all time sleazeball recruiters in Marshall , Gillespie, and Pearl— to his credit, and our recruiting woes, Forbes was smart enough to realize those tactics and academics likely would not fly at Wake. He’s no saint on the recruiting trail.

One has to remember that Forbes worked for three of the all time sleazeball recruiters in Marshall , Gillespie, and Pearl— to his credit, and our recruiting woes, Forbes was smart enough to realize those tactics and academics likely would not fly at Wake. He’s no saint on the recruiting trail.
jfc

The [redacted] hire really changed the trajectory of the program. Wake made the tournament from 2001-2005, then from 2008-2010 with down years after Duncan and CP3. Wake could've made a much better hire in 2010 after Dino was let go. What Wellman was thinking at that time is still a mystery.
In fairness to Wellman, and he doesn't deserve much at all, I do think he probably went big with overtures to Stevens and later Shaka and it just didn't work out. We were reliably informed at the time that Shaka got an offer; the situation with Stevens was less clear and maybe RW really had it in mind to hire his friend Bz all along. If either of those moves had panned out, his legacy probably looks very different. The problem was once you got past the "reach" candidates his wish list left a lot to be desired.

In fairness to Wellman, and he doesn't deserve much at all, I do think he probably went big with overtures to Stevens and later Shaka and it just didn't work out. We were reliably informed at the time that Shaka got an offer; the situation with Stevens was less clear and maybe RW really had it in mind to hire his friend Bz all along. If either of those moves had panned out, his legacy probably looks very different. The problem was once you got past the "reach" candidates his wish list left a lot to be desired.
FWIW, “insiders” at the time report [Redacted] was choice 1. Over the [Redacted] tenure, I came to believe that was true. But equally possible, was that Ronald missed on a target or two and fell on his “safe” choice, and so as to not undermine the worst coach in ACC history, he pumped out nonsense like [Redacted] was the top choice.

On paper, you can see why Wellman thought that would work. He hired a Big XII head coach who had been an NBA head coach. I think [Redacted] was the only Wake head coach in a major sport to come from a power conference. Wellman probably thought it was a home run.

Back