• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Steve Forbes credibility watch

we didn't have that in any era in the history of basketball. We have played on the last weekend one time ever. We have played in 9 sweet 16s ever (1939 we were in the 8 team field but didn't have to win a game to get there.) so we average one Sweet 16/decade over the last century; if you take out the Rogers/Childress/Duncan era it's six total.

View attachment 8759
I looked at this for a while the other day. It really is not impressive at all, particularly since Duncan, for a "basketball program."

That 2004 team looked pretty bad in the tourney - everyone disappeared and CP simply carried us to two close victories to get to the sweet sixteen. I remember him taking over late in both games and refusing to let us lose. Those first games were in Raleigh so I was there in person... Very nerve wracking.

That 2004 team looked pretty bad in the tourney - everyone disappeared and CP simply carried us to two close victories to get to the sweet sixteen. I remember him taking over late in both games and refusing to let us lose. Those first games were in Raleigh so I was there in person... Very nerve wracking.

I was there also! Too close for comfort to be sure.

2004 team limped into the post season in general

got to 19-6 then lost @ UVA (they weren't good) then at home to NC St to end the regular season, lost in the 1st round of the ACCT to Maryland...

the best game they played in March was the loss to St. Joe's

Yep, I remember the same thing. Was at the VCU game and felt like we were barely hanging on for dear life all afternoon. We then, of course, barely slipped by the Jaspers thanks to CP.

Nothing in those 2 games made me feel like that team was due for a deep run. Except, you know, the first half of the next game, which made me think we were going to win the national championship. Can’t really remember what happened after that.

Edited to say I think I mixed my 2004 and 2005. Which I do quite often, probably.

If by "insiders" you mean AD staff who were paid to spread bullshit? The only day he was #1 was the day he signed the contract.

We had staff in San Jose for the first 2 rounds trying to be first in line for Alford and Stevens, among others we reached out to.
Hence the quotes but I believe [Redacted] was Wellman’s man from day 1. Ronald thinks he’s the smartest guy in the room.

Being a Wake basketball fan means being disappointed in March. I've been a Wake fan for my entire life and only a couple of times have we been something less than a disappointment in the postseason. The Elite 8 in 1984 and 1996 and maybe the Sweet 16 in 1993 are about the only times that our seasons went as far as they could. Even 1996 felt like somewhat of a disappointment. We may have been able to beat UK if Rutland wasn't hurt.
The 1995 and 1996 ACC Championships were fun but still short of the goal. I've stopped pretending that Wake is a basketball school. To really be a basketball school, you have to make it to the Final Four at least more than every 60+ years.

We maybe keep it a little closer in 96 with Rutland but UK still probably curb stomps us. That team was so good

Being a Wake basketball fan means being disappointed in March. I've been a Wake fan for my entire life and only a couple of times have we been something less than a disappointment in the postseason. The Elite 8 in 1984 and 1996 and maybe the Sweet 16 in 1993 are about the only times that our seasons went as far as they could. Even 1996 felt like somewhat of a disappointment. We may have been able to beat UK if Rutland wasn't hurt.
The 1995 and 1996 ACC Championships were fun but still short of the goal. I've stopped pretending that Wake is a basketball school. To really be a basketball school, you have to make it to the Final Four at least more than every 60+ years.
I am not sure we would have beaten Kentucky but we definitely wouldn't have lost by 20. March has been a cruel month to Wake Forest basketball. The few good memories I do have fade more and more each year.

2004 team limped into the post season in general

got to 19-6 then lost @ UVA (they weren't good) then at home to NC St to end the regular season, lost in the 1st round of the ACCT to Maryland...

the best game they played in March was the loss to St. Joe's
Wake has never been great in the post season. Even in the Duncan years, aside from the one elite 8 run, the teams underperformed. The 2004 team made the sweet 16 but nearly lost in the 1st round, then barely beat a 12 seed in the 2nd round. I don't need to rehash the 2005 or 2009 postseasons.

Wake was fortunate to have two future NBA all time greats play for it during its history, but there really isn't much else to show in basketball. Had Skip lived, perhaps Wake would be in a position to be competing with the top of the ACC each year. Skip was recruiting and landing some top talent which Wake has not done since his death. Now Wake is in an era where it has to work the transfer portal because top high school kids don't have Wake anywhere near their radar.

By far the most clutch and impressive NCAAT win I've ever witnessed was the Retire Meyer game in which Danny Young hit the layup to defeat a heavily favored DePaul on national television.

And we damn near were in the Final Four two days later except for typical Wake luck in which during a key play the ball went off Dulaney Rudd and we lost in a soul-crushing fashion to Houston.

Wake has never been great in the post season. Even in the Duncan years, aside from the one elite 8 run, the teams underperformed. The 2004 team made the sweet 16 but nearly lost in the 1st round, then barely beat a 12 seed in the 2nd round. I don't need to rehash the 2005 or 2009 postseasons.

Wake was fortunate to have two future NBA all time greats play for it during its history, but there really isn't much else to show in basketball. Had Skip lived, perhaps Wake would be in a position to be competing with the top of the ACC each year. Skip was recruiting and landing some top talent which Wake has not done since his death. Now Wake is in an era where it has to work the transfer portal because top high school kids don't have Wake anywhere near their radar.
And despite that bad postseason history, Wake still only trails Duke, UNC, and NCSU in ACC Tournament championships.

And despite that bad postseason history, Wake still only trails Duke, UNC, and NCSU in ACC Tournament championships.
Not to belittle that accomplishment, but the only schools that trail Wake in ACC championships that were in the ACC as long as Wake are Clemson and UVA.

Not to belittle that accomplishment, but the only schools that trail Wake in ACC championships that were in the ACC as long as Wake are Clemson and UVA.
Fair enough. And GT has as many titles as Wake even though Wake have been in the ACC almost 30 years longer.

If I was Steve, I’d get the fuck out now! He can’t win here. The deck is stacked against him every year. Wake can no longer compete in this new era of the wild Wild West. With the ridiculous portal to the NIL deals, we just can’t get it done. Not to mention, the flawed metrics system to get into the big dance. The state of college basketball is sad and so is pulling for our beloved Deacs. Get out while you can Forbes! You’re too good of a coach to get stuck here!

If by "insiders" you mean AD staff who were paid to spread bullshit? The only day he was #1 was the day he signed the contract.

We had staff in San Jose for the first 2 rounds trying to be first in line for Alford and Stevens, among others we reached out to.

So Wellman sent underlings to San Jose reach out to Alford and Stevens to replace an active coach who had just got an extension 6 months prior who was in New Orleans trying to beat Kentucky. If that’s true, no wonder they weren’t interested.

If I was Steve, I’d get the fuck out now! He can’t win here. The deck is stacked against him every year. Wake can no longer compete in this new era of the wild Wild West. With the ridiculous portal to the NIL deals, we just can’t get it done. Not to mention, the flawed metrics system to get into the big dance. The state of college basketball is sad and so is pulling for our beloved Deacs. Get out while you can Forbes! You’re too good of a coach to get stuck here!
No prizes to guess how much personal strife (or lack thereof) this twat has had to overcome in their, presumably, very privileged life.

Your post just reeks of privilege and I bet you don't even recognize your fortune as you probably think you 'earned' it.

Back