• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Steve Forbes credibility watch

so i did football going back 30 years
i may have been overly aggressive with the percentage loss for defeats. the caldwell years were awful. four straight home losses to App (FCS at the time) didn't do much for the stock price. and other losses were holy shit bad. 42-0 to air force, 52-0 to maryland (who finished the season 5-6), 50-0 to UNC, a 9-35 loss to a Tulane team that was 2-9 on the season. and then barely beat crappy teams at home like a 1-10 Rutgers team in 1999 17-10.

Gaudio's worst season (2008) ranks as the third best overall Wake team has had in Torvik since that season. We made the tournament his last year and have made it to one NCAA Tournament sense. Perhaps Dino's teams were "poor" relative to Odom and Prosser's, but...I don't think it's fair to point a finger at Dino for on the court results.

Forgetting any other issues, here is Gaudio's post season at Wake.
2008 - ACCT 10 point loss to FSU (wake 8 seed, FSU 9 seed)
2009 - ACCT 11 point loss to MD (we were ranked 8th in the country) (Wake 2 seed, MD 7 seed)
2009 - ACCT 15 point loss to Clev State (we were ranked 12th)
2010 - ACCT 21 point loss to Miami (Wake 5 seed, Miami 12 seed)
2010 - NCAAT 1 point ot win over Texas (Ish with a game winning shot)
2010 - NCAAT 30 point loss to KY

The mistake was who was hired next. After leaving Dino, apparently was happy taking Wake's money and working at ESPN. If his 'gaudy' overall record at Wake was that impressive someone would have been willing to pay him enough to pass those pay checks up.

Forgetting any other issues, here is Gaudio's post season at Wake.
2008 - ACCT 10 point loss to FSU (wake 8 seed, FSU 9 seed)
2009 - ACCT 11 point loss to MD (we were ranked 8th in the country) (Wake 2 seed, MD 7 seed)
2009 - ACCT 15 point loss to Clev State (we were ranked 12th)
2010 - ACCT 21 point loss to Miami (Wake 5 seed, Miami 12 seed)
2010 - NCAAT 1 point ot win over Texas (Ish with a game winning shot)
2010 - NCAAT 30 point loss to KY

The mistake was who was hired next. After leaving Dino, apparently was happy taking Wake's money and working at ESPN. If his 'gaudy' overall record at Wake was that impressive someone would have been willing to pay him enough to pass those pay checks up.
I have blocked those years out so successfully I did not even remember Cleveland State was in the ACC.

We should be 10-1 and likely ranked (or getting votes at least) heading into ACC play. The only criticism of Forbes that I think is legitimately in question (because frankly, you mess around with lineups early in the season, not later in the season - although I agree that some of them have been more than questionable and frustrating) is his in-game adjustments. There have been so many times where we seemingly do something stupid because we weren’t prepared coming out of a time out or we break down defensively/offensively and we don’t adjust quickly enough. He also preaches that we need to win the middle 8 minutes of the game, but I don’t feel like we do that well at all.

That and his stubbornness when it comes to calling time outs are really the only things I can gripe about at this point. He was dealt one of the shittiest hands a coach could have been dealt and he’s done an admirable job, IMHO. Give this thing time. I genuinely believe he will take us to the promised land (not just the dance, but conference championships and deep runs in the tourney).
Maybe I missed context, but “we should be 10-1?” We could easily have two more losses but for unlikely buzzer beaters. Yes, we shouldn’t have blown that 8 point lead in the last 1.5 mins or the 20 point second half lead, but we did.

Any coach that plays Klintman more than garbage time has zero credibility.

To his credit, Steve Forbes would be a good assistant coach in the ACC.

Getting a T when you’re about to get free shots trying to claw back in the game. Not credible.

Man, I love Forbes but I’m really struggling with what the trajectory of this program is supposed to be. This year feels like the NIT may be a reach and next year’s roster doesn’t exactly scream NCAAs.

I’m sure we’ll make a run at some decent transfers again, but we’ve sort of already been doing that and look where it’s getting us.

Man, I love Forbes but I’m really struggling with what the trajectory of this program is supposed to be. This year feels like the NIT may be a reach and next year’s roster doesn’t exactly scream NCAAs.

I’m sure we’ll make a run at some decent transfers again, but we’ve sort of already been doing that and look where it’s getting us.

We aren't going to the NIT. We are about to go on a big losing streak.

Forbes cut his teeth in the old recruiting format under the old rules. He can absolutely coach, but I think this transition time is tough for a number of programs who aren't blue bloods right now. Do you build with transfers or build with borderline top 100 guys and Euros? Can you do it with both? Which is the better way? Those are questions without real answers right now. We have a fanbase with heightened expectations after last year, but building a team with key transfers doesn't allow you to create chemistry with guys who have been playing together a couple of years, and that is how Wake has built its program in the past. Right now, Cam and Marsh are the guys who fit that mold. Williamson to an extent too even though he's a transfer, and possibly Monsanto, but it's pretty clear that Williamson hasn't played full speed all year and Monsanto is also having issues with shot selection, etc...

I don't know what the answer is, and I'm not sure Forbes does either, but I don't blame Forbes for that. The new recruiting environment is going to sink a lot of quality coaches before they are able to figure it out.

Back