• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Steve Forbes credibility watch

It pains me to say it but Forbes ain’t the guy.

I mean he was ACC COY last year. If he's not it, Who the f(/K is? He inherited a complete dumpster fire. And he's a proven winner. I'll give him time to sort out the new landscape of college hoops. If a likeable guy like Forbes can't get it done. We're screwed.

I mean he was ACC COY last year. If he's not it, Who the f(/K is? He inherited a complete dumpster fire. And he's a proven winner. I'll give him time to sort out the new landscape of college hoops. If a likeable guy like Forbes can't get it done. We're screwed.
That was last year. So far he has regressed this year. His mantra at the end of last season was scheduling a tougher OOC schedule this year. He’s done that and where has that gotten us aside from a justified quality win at Wisconsin. We lose to Loyola Maramount and Rutgers. He has to win these games to be taken seriously in March. The ACC will be tough as it is, as it is every year. I hope to be proven wrong, but Forbes does not appear to have the answers.

That was last year. So far he has regressed this year. His mantra at the end of last season was scheduling a tougher OOC schedule this year. He’s done that and where has that gotten us aside from a justified quality win at Wisconsin. We lose to Loyola Maramount and Rutgers. He has to win these games to be taken seriously in March. The ACC will be tough as it is, as it is every year. I hope to be proven wrong, but Forbes does not appear to have the answers.
I also like to make long term decisions based on very small sample sizes

I don't know the answer but I certainly share your frustration. Forbes is coming off ACCCOY and has a great personality and is generally a likeable guy. But there are times, we just look absolutely awful. Like middle-school bad.
It's a real weird situation in college sports with NIL and portals. I don't think we have much choice but to give him 2-3 more years to sort it out. And if he can't, we move on.

I mean I'm frustrated with the product too. But. The Man is likeable. And is a proven winner. No need for any rash decisions. We need more talent. How could we have predicted Jake would become a first round pick and leave early? I think coach would tell you the talent is an issue. Too bad we can't snap our fingers and make that easily change.

I also like to make long term decisions based on very small sample sizes
Have you been living under a rock the past decade of Wake basketball? We can’t afford to wait it out for a “larger” sample size. Or you can - be my guest. But I’m not.

I mean I'm frustrated with the product too. But. The Man is likeable. And is a proven winner. No need for any rash decisions. We need more talent. How could we have predicted Jake would become a first round pick and leave early? I think coach would tell you the talent is an issue. Too bad we can't snap our fingers and make that easily change.
Being a likeable guy has nothing to do with being a good basketbal coach. Look at Coach K. He’s an asshole and one of the best coaches in history.

Covid year then puts together a ncaat level team out of nowhere. LaRavia blows up into a 1st round pick. Hard to make a judgement off this limited dataset.

No doubt Forbes has a great personality and a good sense of humor. He is also entertaining to watch and listen to. He is an upgrade over the last 2 clowns. Manning was simply dumb and Bz was an ass. So saying he is better than the last 2 coaches isn’t saying much. He is paid to be a basketball coach and many are saying he “can coach”. I just don’t see it. His teams lack basic fundamentals and at times appears lazy. He had 2 NBA players on the team last year and some other good pieces. He choked down the stretch with sloppy, lazy play and missed the tournament. This year’s team plays sloppy and frankly dumb at times just like last year’s team but with less talent…therefore the shit show that was displayed today. It ain’t getting better anytime soon. Forbes is not the guy to turn our program around…at least his personality makes him a little more tolerable.

Covid year then puts together a ncaat level team out of nowhere. LaRavia blows up into a 1st round pick. Hard to make a judgement off this limited dataset.
The problem is that we don’t see much to build on for next year. You can suffer through a mediocre year of freshmen being freshmen if they all have flashes. We don’t have that. We have a rag tag group of mediocre transfers and a couple homegrown players. Appleby will be gone and we’ll be left with Hildreth and Marsh with flashes of Monsanto and Carr. That’s not much to look forward to.

Is it credible or not credible that Forbes sat Monsanto in a close game and he went off for 22 in a blowout loss?

Or it got his attention, I recall two 3’s he forced up. Most of his 3’s where part of the offense.

Getting a T when you’re about to get free shots trying to claw back in the game. Not credible.
Ok with the T. Pretty perplexing call. Defend your player. And we cut the lead back to 10 after that.

IMO we’ve had coaches that were too reluctant to get a T when the refs screw us.

Have you been living under a rock the past decade of Wake basketball? We can’t afford to wait it out for a “larger” sample size. Or you can - be my guest. But I’m not.

Oh. So you’re firing him? Who are you hiring to replace him?

I’m not firing anyone. I’m not John Currie. I’m voicing my concern about Steve Forbes as our basketball coach long term (which is shared by many here), and it’s Year 3. Waiting around for magic to happen and coaches to get a larger sample size is what we did with Bzz and Manning, for far too many years than they deserved. And look where it put us.

We are wanting for nothing in terms of an academic university, campus, athletics facilities, ACC competition, and overall a great student athlete/college experience. I hate to jump the gun, but if Forbes ain’t cutting it, why wait?
Oh. So you’re firing him? Who are you hiring to replace him?

The problem is that we don’t see much to build on for next year. You can suffer through a mediocre year of freshmen being freshmen if they all have flashes. We don’t have that. We have a rag tag group of mediocre transfers and a couple homegrown players. Appleby will be gone and we’ll be left with Hildreth and Marsh with flashes of Monsanto and Carr. That’s not much to look forward to.
I think no one would have thought Cam would be even an ACC role player based on last year. If you have to develop your big me. It’s usually a two year process which would make next year a huge jump for Marsh. Keller and Klintman are not 5* that are failing they are freshmen that should improve next year. Who knows if Ituka can really lead this team yet?

None of its guaranteed but at least we’ll know more of the players coming back next year.

We can probably search for threads taking about how it probably would take us 5 years to recover from the previous coaches.

Forbes’ biggest mistake was doing too well last year and finding a 1st round nba pick.

I don’t know if Forbes is a coach that keeps us near the middle with an occasional good year or if he can recruit and coach well enough to be near the top of the ACC each year.

Back