• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Steve Forbes credibility watch

He's had 3 years (2020 doesn't count). He got absolutely hosed 2021 with a snub. 2022 team just wasn't deep enough but was a very fun team, more fun than anything from the decade prior, besides John Collins 1 year maybe. This year is probably the best team we've had in 14 years? Gotta get it done, but yeah I'm going to defend the guy who's got me back invested in the team, got us playing meaningful games after a decade of complete incompetence. We aren't talking about even a 5 year track record, it's 2 fuckin years we didn't make it and 1 was a joke. We are on the bubble again. We'd have given our left nut to be on the bubble from 2011-2020. Hes consistently got us in the right direction and I think he is the guy who can get us to being consistently in the tourney. Portal makes everything weird, programs likely aren't going to be as consistent as the past, besides blue bloods. You have to re recruit every year. I want Forbes doing that for us.

I’m really not understanding the over-defensiveness of some posters supporting Forbes. At the end of the day he is a coach with -zero- NCAA tournament appearances. My loyalty and fandom lays with Wake Forest athletics, not with any 1 particular coach. The notion that Forbes is above criticism, because “he is the best coach we could find” is pathetic. Just go ahead and say you are satisfied winning 20 games a season and don’t care about post season accomplishments.

He’s certainly not above criticism and discussing that is clearly logical. The set of people wanting us to fire him after we lose toss up road games just wears on me. The college basketball community seems to understand Forbes’ value nationally but our own fans do not. That frustrates me.

He’s certainly not above criticism and discussing that is clearly logical. The set of people wanting us to fire him after we lose toss up road games just wears on me. The college basketball community seems to understand Forbes’ value nationally but our own fans do not. That frustrates me.
Because a segment of Wake's fanbase is comprised of self-loathing bipolar keyboard jockeys.

Someone on this board posted just the other day that it would be disappointing and unexpected if Wake lost another game this season.

Game was there for us to win. But it's basketball and an away game to a team near the top of the standings. It's not a horrible loss like losing to Louisville. If we win one good away game, away games against mediocre teams, and hold serve at home, we're in.

He's had 3 years (2020 doesn't count). He got absolutely hosed 2021 with a snub. 2022 team just wasn't deep enough but was a very fun team, more fun than anything from the decade prior, besides John Collins 1 year maybe. This year is probably the best team we've had in 14 years? Gotta get it done, but yeah I'm going to defend the guy who's got me back invested in the team, got us playing meaningful games after a decade of complete incompetence. We aren't talking about even a 5 year track record, it's 2 fuckin years we didn't make it and 1 was a joke. We are on the bubble again. We'd have given our left nut to be on the bubble from 2011-2020. Hes consistently got us in the right direction and I think he is the guy who can get us to being consistently in the tourney. Portal makes everything weird, programs likely aren't going to be as consistent as the past, besides blue bloods. You have to re recruit every year. I want Forbes doing that for us.
PREACH. This times 100. Everything with NIL is finally coming into play as well, no use in throwing what is being built away.

Because a segment of Wake's fanbase is comprised of self-loathing bipolar keyboard jockeys.

Someone on this board posted just the other day that it would be disappointing and unexpected if Wake lost another game this season.
I don't get where the entitlement comes from. Folks living in the 90's still?

Agree that 2021 was a hose job, but at the same time we drove 30 miles down the road to the Greensboro Coliseum and let a 13-seed Boston College come to town and beat us in the 1st round. Even if we thought that game wasn't necessary to get a bid, we had to know a loss would likely knock us down a seed or two, much less deny us the possibility of getting a chance to rise in the seedings. Big-time coachers and programs step up and seize those moments; no reason this year's coach and team can't respond likewise.

Agree that 2021 was a hose job, but at the same time we drove 30 miles down the road to the Greensboro Coliseum and let a 13-seed Boston College come to town and beat us in the 1st round. Even if we thought that game wasn't necessary to get a bid, we had to know a loss would likely knock us down a seed or two, much less deny us the possibility of getting a chance to rise in the seedings. Big-time coachers and programs step up and seize those moments; no reason this year's coach and team can't respond likewise.
I’m pretty sure that was in New York. Only because of the whole Peter Luger’s thing. But yes, that was a giant kick in the nuts.

That tournament was in Brooklyn old timer

Could have picked any of the “pro-Forbes” posts to respond to, but just picked this one randomly. I certainly don’t think Forbes should be fired at the end of the season, regardless of outcome. I do believe that making the NCAA tournament should be a baseline expectation for a P5 program. If we haven’t made the tournament by the end of next season, I do believe we should start looking at making a coaching change. I certainly understand those that disagree and I’m honestly curious whether or not you have any threshold related to making the tournament. Would you agree to making a change if no NCAA tournament after 7 years? 10 years? Should Forbes be given a lifetime contract now because “he’s the best we could possibly get“?

I hope this discussion becomes moot after we make the tournament this season. However, looks like things would have to play out perfectly for that to happen. Forbes is certainly a tremendous face of the program and is outstanding at bringing in talent via the portal. I just think that talent needs to translate, at minimum, into an NCAA bid at some point or you have to consider making a change.

Game was there for us to win. But it's basketball and an away game to a team near the top of the standings. It's not a horrible loss like losing to Louisville. If we win one good away game, away games against mediocre teams, and hold serve at home, we're in.
I wish I could agree. . . I really want to agree, but 2021-22 proved that wrong.

we won 23 games before post season, (13-7 in conf.) but we aren't anyone's darlings, outside of W-S. . . .

we have to overachieve, just to get any recognition.

Thanks a million to the two coaches who must not be named

I definitely watch my friends games on my phone for sure. Both Western Carolina and Cincy had great games tonight. You will bust me like that every time they are playing.

That’s sort of the point isn’t it. The undergrads need the best seats. Not old men.
"friends"

Back