• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Steve Forbes credibility watch

What full roster? Reid should have never been counted on to play. Monsanto is hurt so you account for that. And he would take away shots from other people. So say Sallis took 10 shots, he would be down to 6 if Monsanto was in. It doesn’t change a ton.
Damari Monsanto can drop 25 on any given night. He would have shot Utah out of that 1-31- in about 3 possessions. That's a huge loss. His presence on the perimeter alone opens the floor for our ball dominant guards to get downhill and score easier.

He can't coach against a zone. All of his play calls are ISO clear outs for the best player. This works when you have a stud, and is an attractive system for ball dominant guards. It doesn't maximize the team's talent.

He's also failed to recruit big men. The system would work better if we had something down low. Dallas Walton had another year of eligibility and chose to go play in Slovenia or Pakistan or wherever the fuck he is. Matthew Marsh sucks and Reid won't be eligible.

Zone had nothing to do with getting our shit swatted at the rim. We were passing into the zone and getting midrange looks. If we shot threes in the second half like we did in the first, nobody would be saying shit about the zone (note-- we didn't miss threes because of the zone). We lost because we couldn't defend some guy named Branden (aka Pittsnoggle II), or anybody else for that matter, and couldn't get defensive rebounds.

As for big men, we are obviously TWO short right now. Utah clearly a matchup problem in that regard.

Damari Monsanto can drop 25 on any given night. He would have shot Utah out of that 1-31- in about 3 possessions. That's a huge loss. His presence on the perimeter alone opens the floor for our ball dominant guards to get downhill and score easier.
Monsanto has been out for how long? It's Forbes' job to make adjustments...

Monsanto has been out for how long? It's Forbes' job to make adjustments...
It is but I mean I don't see how you can look at this game tonight and blame it all on coaching. They have two skilled 7 footers that played lights out and feasted on a depleted front court. Marsh alone changes the outcome of that game and if you add a guy like Damari that would probably have hit a few open shots against zone in the 2nd half when we went cold? That's a win.

We should be able to hang onto a player who literally had nowhere else to go.

He literally had almost every option in the basketball world. Him going to another college would’ve been a worse look for us. A player outside of his home country not wanting to continue playing in the US and attending school there isn’t groundbreaking.

If I’m Bobi and my agents tell me that the Mavs or whoever it was want to sign me first round I am leaving the NCAA regardless of what my coach says

So how many more years do we give Forbes if we fail to make the tournament? I would say this season and next. If no tournament after 5 years (or 4 if we discount the Covid year), time to look elsewhere. I'm curious to get other opinions. Some seem ready to pull the trigger after this season. Are there others who would give more than this seasons and next?

So how many more years do we give Forbes if we fail to make the tournament? I would say this season and next. If no tournament after 5 years (or 4 if we discount the Covid year), time to look elsewhere. I'm curious to get other opinions. Some seem ready to pull the trigger after this season. Are there others who would give more than this seasons and next?
with 2 more .500 or better seasons in conference? absolutely.

Every time you fire a coach these days, at least half the players will be in the portal before you finish reading the announcement. So a new coach will be starting over. Starting over isn't a good recipe for success.

I’d stay with him as long as we remain on the precipice of getting back to the tournament, the recruiting momentum doesn’t dip (transfer portal, international, high school, whatever).

If we can’t get over the hump in a couple more years and the talent momentum slides to where we start to look like this year’s Syracuse, GT, or god forbid ND or Louisville, then it’ll be obvious to move on.

Is that your only criteria? If he continues to finish at or above .500 in conference but fails to make the tournament he stays indefinitely?

no, but a coach that is 12 games over .500 in the conference over 4 years is going to get much more leeway to get over the hump than a coach that is 12 games under .500 over the same period.

College basketball is simple, make the tournament and it’s a good season for most schools…miss the tournament and it’s a bad season.

Forbes needs to get to the tournament, basketball is not much fun when you have no interest on selection Sunday and your only joy is when State, UNC and Duke lose. We haven’t been a factor in a long long time

Nobody on the board that I can see going into the year had a realistic view of who we were going to be. I don't think you can start firing coaches yet. The landscape of college bball only favors the big dogs.

Back