• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Steve Forbes credibility watch

My only argument here is to get rid of Forbes you have to have a better option. This isn't like the last 2 knuckleheads. This would be about finding someone that is a big upgrade
The ability to compete for the ACC and make the tournament obviously takes time to demonstrate, so if you give Coach X 5-6 years to do it, and they haven’t, what choice do you have besides replacing them with another coach based on potential to compete for the ACC and make the tournament? It doesn’t make sense to let a coach stick around forever because there is no obvious replacement who is more accomplished. I see these arguments as just continuity for continuities sake - what does that actually accomplish?

The ability to compete for the ACC and make the tournament obviously takes time to demonstrate, so if you give Coach X 5-6 years to do it, and they haven’t, what choice do you have besides replacing them with another coach based on potential to compete for the ACC and make the tournament? It doesn’t make sense to let a coach stick around forever because there is no obvious replacement who is more accomplished. I see these arguments as just continuity for continuities sake - what does that actually accomplish?
I get your point. But getting rid of Forbes is certainly a bigger risk/swing than getting rid of Bz or Manning

While Wake fans, on average, certainly aren't "poor" as you say, we can all agree that we have a limited pool from which to raise funds. If you'd seriously prefer to pull $125 million from that pool for a new arena vs. use that money for NIL over the next 10-20+ years, you're even dumber (DRUNKER) than I thought.
Fixed it for you.

Hey Donnie, when's your next field trip up to Betty Ford? You don't troll as much when you are up there, due to your limited internet privileges. Cheers, buddy! :LOL:

This is where the logic for the asanine statement falls apart - in this hypothetical coaching search, you aren’t evaluating Forbes on his previous mid major success, you are evaluating him on the lack of success here at Wake Forest, which is the entire motivation of the hypothetical coaching search.

There are always a number of successful
Mid Major coaches who are ready for a promotion to a major conference team, eventually that shine wears off.
What the fuck kind of lack of success are you talking about?

I have no interest in talking about 2020 season it has no bearing on the rest of his tenure so I am not going to worry about it.

Last 3 seasons he is 55-28. Great record. Got screwed in 2021-2022, that was a tourney team. Last year had a great stretch fun basketball, best we'd had in a long time besides his previous team. This year nothing different, we have a good competetive team, fighting for 3rd in acc, ncaa bid, acc T all of it is within reach. Two years we are talking about without a bid and one of them we can almost unanimously agree we deserved it.

You seem to think that coaches are just going to line up to come here. Do you think they can get 2 straight acc poy, get us to the tourney year 1 or 2? Because you think that a coach obviously should make the leap from worst power 6 team to tournament in 2 years, so if we are close to tourney now I assume you want to be top 10 immediately? Your posts are a joke and a stain on our fanbase at the moment. Steve is a great coach and a better rep for us, he consistently now has us competing for bids, and hopefully as the program ascends more than that. It is not a 1 or 2 year fix. If the ACC wasn't so putrid we'd probably be talking about 3 straight bids anyways.

What the fuck kind of lack of success are you talking about?

I have no interest in talking about 2020 season it has no bearing on the rest of his tenure so I am not going to worry about it.

Last 3 seasons he is 55-28. Great record.
You didn’t need to say anything else. You are satisfied. Some of us aren’t. Your defensiveness is ridiculous. He’s a basketball coach not the Pope, chill the fuck out.

My only argument here is to get rid of Forbes you have to have a better option. This isn't like the last 2 knuckleheads. This would be about finding someone that is a big upgrade

Who would fall in that category? The only truly proven coach we have hired in a while was Skip. Odom was an assistant at UVa. Bz and Manning had a good season or two but nothing to deserve an ACC job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You don't have to be content with Forbes' performance to also think he's a good, or the right, coach for Wake.

But let's be honest, there is nothing to show for it yet. Unless a couple of early round NIT wins is your ceiling there needs to be more. Immediately.

No NCAAT this year and serious eyebrow raising begins.

Ya'll act like we didn't just go through a decade of complete suck. Like basement in the conference nearly every year. Forbes has done an amazing job turning that around.

We've never really recruited HS talent very well. Having a guy who dominates the portal is HUGE. There's still work to be done. But he's our guy to do it.

1. We shouldn’t have been in the basement, so that’s not the standard to hold our HC coaches to. Those previous failed coaches were rightly fired.

2. Every program turns their roster over yearly now with transfers, so what happened 5-10 years ago can’t be used as an excuse today.

3. Forbes has obviously improved the program immensely, but that means he is measured against his own success, he is not measured against previous coaches. We expect him to improve upon his previous results.

4. No one wants to fire Forbes. We’re just anxious that we are no closer to the tournament now than we were 2 years ago. Progress is measured in wins/losses, not in player analytics and vibes. 12-5 in 2024 is the same as 12-5 in 2023.

5. A message board is the perfect place to express anxiety about the team. None of us have any control over Forbes job security, so the ugly defensive backlash against criticism and pessimism is completely unwarranted. We’re all fans or we wouldn’t be here.

Kind of off topic, but does anyone know any Wake grads who were students during the [redacted] and Manning years? I wonder if those thousands of people even care about Wake bball to this day.

I asked this question when we were having this discussion early in the season. The more pro-Forbes folks won't really commit to a timeframe. My position is that no NCAA this season or next and he absolutely has to go. The object isn't to be a great guy or bring in great portal classes. Those thing are tremendous positives and I really want Forbes to succeed. But, at some point, you have to make the tournament.

Hope this post looks really dumb in March when we are in, but wouldn't bet on it.
This won’t look dumb. It is very reasonable. However, we are way better than when Forbes arrived. We lost our best scorer and a point guard and our offense is still as good as anyone in the league. Saying Forbes can’t coach seems ridiculous. It doesn’t have to be all good or all bad. The good does need to start resulting in regular tourney bids.

It seems like yesterday we looked just like Louisville looked today! Maybe even worse.

Great game!

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

Back