• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Steve Forbes credibility watch

I would say that one of Forbes' clear strengths in prior years had been his ability to create an excellent team chemistry. This year, for whatever reason - perhaps because Forbes (understandably) devoted a great deal of time to his wife's recovery, maybe because he lost Brooks Savage, maybe it's just due to a different mix of players - I don't see that same chemistry. I see a team performing less than the sum of its parts. In critical situations, I see multiple wasted possessions of hero ball, which seem to cascade upon themselves, one after another.

Maybe he can fix this over the next few weeks. I doubt it.
Have seen Frederickson wide open several times at the 3 while players look him off to drive and attempt horrendous 2s.

The arena rarely impacts the games. That’s never been the argument. It’s the recruiting. We can only really get foreigners and transfers for that reason. High school kids want money and atmosphere. We have neither to offer.

Forbes is wise to sell “big boy basketball.” That’s all we have. A p6 stage.
Buying the Joel was a huge strategic mistake by Hatch and the board. The purchase and previous investments in the Joel were pouring good money after bad. Should have built arena on campus like Baylor did. That arena and its atmosphere is all the talk of D1.

Last edited:
Buying the Joel was a huge strategic mistake by Hearn and the board. The purchase and previous investments in the Joel were pouring good money after bad. Should have built arena on campus like Baylor did. That arena and its atmosphere is all the talk of D1.
How do you really feel Mrs. Ross?

And yet Baylor climbed the mountain before building that arena...

Recruits want money. The arena is about 10th on the list of things that matter.

JJ Reddick said it was his least favorite place to play. Which is quite the compliment considering the treatment he (and his sister) got at Maryland.

Buying the Joel was a huge strategic mistake by Hearn and the board. The purchase and previous investments in the Joel were pouring good money after bad. Should have built arena on campus like Baylor did. That arena and its atmosphere is all the talk of D1.

Hearn was long gone from WFU by the time the Joel was purchased.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

of course, wake has gone downhill in general since 2006/2007 or so

studies have shown those things don't draw actually. Free drinks are considered really nice perk....but it's the actual tech and layout of the space that draws people
I'm not gonna disagree with the point.

I am gonna say my company gives a credit for the cafeteria each day you go in (all the free hot beverage machines) and the building opened brand new last year.

Same. I would also add that I think he has a really high ceiling because he is willing to adapt to the times (recruiting from the portal, following analytics, etc.), has a lot of strong connections throughout basketball (NBA, international, JUCO, AAU, etc.), and he knows the game very well (you can tell by listening to his pressers). Sticking with a coach that has a high ceiling, even if their first several seasons are middle of the road, can pay huge dividends in the long run. See Tom Walter.
Agree with all of this but would add that he will never bring us titles without having the ability to be an effective in-game coach. And if he hasn’t developed that skill set by his late 50s, he never will.

Last edited:
My two cents.

The injury to Hildreth has been damaging. His inability to shoot has cost the team 8-10 ppg and his on court leadership.

Forbes views basketball thru an offensive filter. The lack of defensive variety and defensive adjustments is the result. Earlier in the season the team showed full and 3/4 court pressure. It has disappeared. Aaron Clark came off the bench against Charleston Southern and provided defensive leadership that limited CSU to four points in eight minutes and enabled the team to go from a five point deficit to a five point lead. He has played 3.5 minutes since that performance. A coach that valued and prioritized defense would give Clark a couple more opportunities to show he is legit when his team's defense is leaking like a sieve.

Forbes inability to get his players to perform as needed is a result of his unwillingness to employ his bench. We don't know if Canka, Clark or Marion could provide relief because they aren't given the opportunity. If the starters won't perform as needed, put their ass on the bench and give the scrubs an opportunity. Playing time is the only leverage a coach has to get the results he needs. Use it.

Dave Clawson learned a valuable lesson regarding practice performance vs. game performance this season. Steve Forbes would be wise to pay attention.
This.

Whose minutes do yall want Aaron Clark to take exactly?

He’s not a point guard so we’re looking at Hunter, Parker, and Cam.

Not sure I’m playing Aaron Clark over those guys based on his lockdown defense against a sub-300 opponent.

I caught this at lunch today and have been waiting for it show up online. I'm not sure what thread this should go on but this seems as good as any other. I have to think radio hosts breath a sigh of relief when they see Coach Forbes on the schedule, such an easy guy to talk to.

Buying the Joel was a huge strategic mistake by Hatch and the board. The purchase and previous investments in the Joel were pouring good money after bad. Should have built arena on campus like Baylor did. That arena and its atmosphere is all the talk of D1.
All this talk about an on campus arena but where the hell are we gonna put one?? Bulldoze the entirety of south campus?

And the hell is wrong with the atmosphere right now? You could put the school inside the Joel itself and it obviously won’t be some grand atmosphere because we don’t have grand enrollment. The Joel is fine as is.

John Currie has a lot of time and work to be done in order to accomplish what Mr Wellman did with the AD over his time frame. If you've spent anytime in any of the newer facilities and compare it to what we did or did not have before, you'd easily understand that.

And yes, the Butler NCAAT loss was miserable, but GDO was her for over ten years, so my point still stands in that we were in a good position to hire a quality candidate after his departure.

This is a bubble NCAAT team we're talking about here this year. It's still quite possible that we go 5-2 or 6-1 the rest of the schedule and sneak in.

We are heading in the right direction with this program. Give Steve Forbes a few more years to keep things heading in the right direction.
The alumni that generously gave get the credit for those facilities. The student athletes who put butts in the seats get credit for those facilities. I’ll even give the construction crews credit for a job well done. It’s so dumb that we credit the AD for facilities when he was just taking an obscene paycheck that could have gone to those facilities.

Judge the AD by the quality of people they bring in and, most importantly, the records on field/court.

Did Wellman make any big donations? Did Wellman pick up a hammer?
Wellman didn’t build shit.

Back