• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Steve Forbes credibility watch

Tony Bennett is a Hall of Fame coach and one of the best ever in ACC history. I’m not losing any sleep over him outcoaching Forbes on Saturday - he out-coaches the guy on the other sideline more often than not (and Forbes definitely out-coached him at the Joel).

What will make or break the season is how Forbes does against Jeff Capel and Scheyer this week.

Last edited:
Like him or not, Coach K was VERY successful @ Dook. First 3 years there he was there
1981 - 17-13
1982 - 10-17
1983 - 11-17
Total 38-47

Coach Forbes first 3 years @ Wake
2020-21 - 6-16 (wasn't left with very much) Covid-19
2021-22 - 25-10
2022-23 - 19-14
Total - 50-40

how many times did UVa completely pants us out of a timeout? I specifically remember that 3 point shooter who was cold sinking a clean look late 2nd half. That’s the Bennett effect and those plays were very pretty.

I don’t think Forbes is that far off. He just needs to demand more discipline from his players and give them a shorter leash when they make bonehead plays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was pissed after the Pitt game, no excuse for that debacle. We got hosed by the officials at state, the Duke game Reid didn’t show up. UVA yesterday was ridiculous though. UVA sucks. We should’ve won that game by 10 at least and that is on Forbes.

it is simply inexcusable how bad that was yesterday. We had 5 parts running around untethered. The parts are less than the whole with this group and that is coaching. Forbes knows this as well as me stating the obvious.

coach is great with the kids. He is especially adept at bringing in kids with shaken confidence.and expanding their games and reinvigorating their physches. Yet there is a lot of “feelings” with this group, and sometime a loving kick in the ass is needed. Hopefully coach can manage this.

Cam has got to stay in his lane. He needs to play lock down defense for 15 minutes. He is compromised on offense, and it sucks but he is hurting the team now.

Boopie as well. He has got to adjust.

Reid has to grow a pair, and kick ass.

i think Damari Is coming around physically. His overall game yesterday was much better, PFred is lethal now and while he needs help in the post he is excellent defensively in space,

I want to see Sallis, PFred, Damari, Carr and Reid on the floor together.

This team is our best team since 2009 with a very high ceiling. It’s all there. Roles are now defined. It’s about execution.

I still don’t understand why the bench hasn’t expanded.
This:
“I want to see Sallis, PFred, Damari, Carr and Reid on the floor together.”

Like him or not, Coach K was VERY successful @ Dook. First 3 years there he was there
1981 - 17-13
1982 - 10-17
1983 - 11-17
Total 38-47

2021-22 - 25-10
2022-23 - 19-14
Total - 50-40
But how many of those 38 wins were Q1?!?

Damn shame what's happened to Wake and ACC hoops for that matter since my time roaming the halls with the late great Gentleman Carl Tacy at the helm.

Feel very grateful to have experienced the heyday first hand. It was a great ride!
Coach Tacy was the best coach post Bones. If Hooks had not screwed Tacy he would have brought us a national title which he was on track to do. He was an in-game coach who was capable of making adjustments and directed the team instead of relying on assistants, was a great recruiter, game planner, innovator (created the the triangle and two), and always, always out coached Dean Smith every single time.

Last edited:
1981 - 17-13
1982 - 10-17
1983 - 11-17
Total 38-47

2021-22 - 25-10
2022-23 - 19-14
Total - 50-40
Apples to oranges because of the portal.

Coach Tacy was the best coach post Bones. If Hooks had not screwed Tacy he would have brought us a national title which he was on track to do. He was an in-game coach who was capable of making adjustments and directed the team instead of relying on assistants, was a great recruiter, game planner, innovator (created the the diamond and two), and always, always out coached Dean Smith every single time.
Sorry to disagree here but having done a bunch of practices & scrimmages for Tacy, Staak & Odom, there is no question Odom has been our best coach “post-Bones”. 2 ACC titles alone gets that. Tacy got to one ACC final in 1978 (against Duke) and that was it. Now what The Gentleman could really do is get them prepared in practice for the opposing team. I watched him put in game plans & other team’s tendencies that were astounding. And Hooks did not screw Tacy. He was his own undoing by not recruiting well the final few years. He was ready to go and was throwing some real Hail Mary’s in recruiting the last couple of years that didn’t work. Check out his last class….whew.

The loss to Virginia was more damaging than it may appear. It was the last scheduled opportunity for Wake to demonstrate they could beat a top tier team away from the Joel. A 3-9 record with wins against Towson, Louisville and Boston College doesn't cut it. When the committee is deciding which bubble teams to include, the question of road record arises. If you can't beat a good team on the road you don't qualify for a championship tournament. The Deacs have a big hole on their resume and a win at Notre Dame or Virginia Tech won't close it. Wakes strength of record sits at 55, so it could use improvement. Minimum 5-1 record to finish the regular season required. Need a Duke win to get a W over a ranked team.

Sorry to disagree here but having done a bunch of practices & scrimmages for Tacy, Staak & Odom, there is no question Odom has been our best coach “post-Bones”. 2 ACC titles alone gets that. Tacy got to one ACC final in 1978 (against Duke) and that was it. Now what The Gentleman could really do is get them prepared in practice for the opposing team. I watched him put in game plans & other team’s tendencies that were astounding. And Hooks did not screw Tacy. He was his own undoing by not recruiting well the final few years. He was ready to go and was throwing some real Hail Mary’s in recruiting the last couple of years that didn’t work. Check out his last class….whew.
Appreciate your post.However, you don’t have the reason for Tacy’s departure. Hooks gave Tacy an ultimatum that was contrary to Tacy’s values so Tacy resigned rather than compromise his integrity. Integrity was a virtue to which both Hooks and Wellman were strangers.

So just so I understand WCD you’d rather lose than have Tony Bennet’s record over the last 10 years which includes conference championship, a Natty and the best record of all ACC teams during that time. If that’s the case I assume you just like to watch basketball and could care less if they even keep score.

Ive been on these boards a long time but that post from you is now the craziest I’ve ever seen and will never be topped.
I said what I said.

I think we all need to realize Wake will never be the program they were 15+ years ago. There’s no Chris Paul and Tim Duncans walking through the door as freshman and staying for 2+ years. While recruiting the portal is a net positive for Forbes, it’s hard to build a “team” with that much turnover year-after-year. With that said, I think that’s the best we can hope for in this new environment of NIL, the portal, and uncertainty about conference membership in the future. I think we should be happy with being competitive and in the bubble yearly with the occasional T25 team. Maybe that’s the LOWF in me but I’m not sure we can attract and pay a better coach than Forbes.

Appreciate your post.However, you don’t have the reason for Tacy’s departure. Hooks gave Tacy an ultimatum that was contrary to Tacy’s values so Tacy resigned rather than compromise his integrity. Integrity was a virtue to which both Hooks and Wellman were strangers.

What was the ultimatum that Hooks gave him?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The loss to Virginia was more damaging than it may appear. It was the last scheduled opportunity for Wake to demonstrate they could beat a top tier team away from the Joel. A 3-9 record with wins against Towson, Louisville and Boston College doesn't cut it. When the committee is deciding which bubble teams to include, the question of road record arises. If you can't beat a good team on the road you don't qualify for a championship tournament. The Deacs have a big hole on their resume and a win at Notre Dame or Virginia Tech won't close it. Wakes strength of record sits at 55, so it could use improvement. Minimum 5-1 record to finish the regular season required. Need a Duke win to get a W over a ranked team.
titcr

I agree, our record away from the Joel is concerning. Even if we split Notre Dame and Va Tech games we are looking at a record away from the Joel of 4-10 🤮. I am not saying if we finish 5-1 we aren't in but I really think we need to go 6-0.

Coach Tacy was the best coach post Bones. If Hooks had not screwed Tacy he would have brought us a national title which he was on track to do. He was an in-game coach who was capable of making adjustments and directed the team instead of relying on assistants, was a great recruiter, game planner, innovator (created the the diamond and two), and always, always out coached Dean Smith every single time.
Well sure...apparently he figured out how to play with 6 people...do that and you will out coach a lot of people

Back