• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Steve Forbes credibility watch

Forbes said in the postgame presser that the guys stop defending when they miss shots so it’s a vicious cycle. Says he has tried yelling at them, being calm but nothing is working. Said he has never seen anything like it in his 35 years of coaching. And he isn’t sure how to fix it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forbes said in the postgame presser that the guys stop defending when they miss shots so it’s a vicious cycle. Says he has tried yelling at them, being calm but nothing is working. Said he has never seen anything like it in his 35 years of coaching. And he isn’t sure how to fix it.

Great. Can identify the problem but not fix it.

That's what the fucking money is for.

I can tell you how to fix it. Forbes has stated that he recruits scorers and believes he can teach defense. It's just wrong.

Some guys have a better understanding of defense, angles, anticipation etc. in other words, some guys are just more talented at defending. Attitude and willingness to get after it is part of it. But that isn't something entirely teachable. Some guys want to get after it. You have to find those guys.

If we had any depth, he could bench their asses. But given that it's a sure thing we are going to lose on the road, he may as well bench them and put out the entire 2nd and 3rd string.

I feel bad for Forbes. He's liked by the fanbase, but losing them quickly. It's very hard to come back from that. I don't see a quick fix either, unless pretty much all the non-starter scholarship guys minus Friedrichsen bolt and free up some room on the roster. The transfers we appear to be stuck with. Ituka has hardly played in two years and Canka doesn't look serviceable.

If we had any depth, he could bench their asses. But given that it's a sure thing we are going to lose on the road, he may as well bench them and put out the entire 2nd and 3rd string.

I feel bad for Forbes. He's liked by the fanbase, but losing them quickly. It's very hard to come back from that. I don't see a quick fix either, unless pretty much all the non-starter scholarship guys minus Friedrichsen bolt and free up some room on the roster. The transfers we appear to be stuck with. Ituka has hardly played in two years and Canka doesn't look serviceable.
Football manages to move people along. Bball can too. I’m not giving up on MMM. He was fine last night in a shit circumstance.

Foundation of fan and community support. We don’t have a sellout last weekend without Forbes. Full stop. Regardless of if he’s the guy or not the program is in a much better state because of him.

Good point.

Forbes obviously has many more great qualities than negative ones. His players love him, he has a gift to grab guys in the portal and I think he relates well to the fanbase.

But I wonder if he needs a high-end X and O guy on the bench to assist him. It seems so obvious that these ACC coaches make adjustments at half and he becomes a deer in the headlights. I know almost nothing about our assistants and maybe they ARE what we need. It just seems like we need to combine Forbes' best qualities with a Carl Tacy type who could help him make the adjustments required.

I realize I'm grasping at straws but something has to change cause this is getting worse, not better.

Mit is a thoughtful, team person. He’d never insist on anything.

But if he does of course we should follow him. He’s the investor here. Damn sure shouldn’t listen to football folks.

Forbes obviously has many more great qualities than negative ones. His players love him, he has a gift to grab guys in the portal and I think he relates well to the fanbase.

But I wonder if he needs a high-end X and O guy on the bench to assist him. It seems so obvious that these ACC coaches make adjustments at half and he becomes a deer in the headlights. I know almost nothing about our assistants and maybe they ARE what we need. It just seems like we need to combine Forbes' best qualities with a Carl Tacy type who could help him make the adjustments required.

I realize I'm grasping at straws but something has to change cause this is getting worse, not better.
Think a bench upgrade is a must this off-season. It would show Forbes humility in recognizing there can be improvement there, and hopefully a release valve to let him focus more on what he is best at. Great leaders need to be able to delegate.

Forbes needs the equivalent of a ‘Get-back coach’ like Venables had at Clemson for when things start to unravel or when there’s a change in momentum. As soon as we get a big lead and start to get sloppy, or begin to get careless in general irrespective of a lead or not, someone should have authority to scream at Forbes to slow things down, call a TO, and/or sub out a player for someone else who might be more under control, etc. I volunteer myself as tribute.

We finished the first half yesterday in one of the most disappointing ways I’ve seen yet. We had VT on the ropes, up 15 with 6:22 left to play and we went all gas, no brakes and let them claw back some of the momentum that was ours to lose. We also had six straight missed shots, three of which were threes, three TOs, and only two FT attempts over this stretch. We were in the bonus, VT went on a 8-0 run and it took us until the 1:51 mark to call a TO at which point VT had cut the lead to 7. Instead of slowing things down, limiting possessions and running set plays to take advantage of size mismatches in the paint or being in the bonus for FTs, and most importantly…realizing that we just hit nine of our last ten 3 pt. attempts, we instead close out the half running and gunning going 3-11 from the field with a non-existent play to end the first 20 mins. This in a nutshell encapsulates the biggest weakness that Forbes has, IMHO.

We play out of control when we need to rein it in, and get aggressive again after we have dug a hole too deep to climb out of. It’s very fixable. It’s also damn disappointing that we haven’t fixed it yet.

Foundation of fan and community support. We don’t have a sellout last weekend without Forbes. Full stop. Regardless of if he’s the guy or not the program is in a much better state because of him.

You may want to consider the sellout on January 28th, 2017. In the midst of Mannings's 4th year.

It's simple. Win.

This season has me feeling like Forbes is the guy before the guy. Kind of like Mark Jackson before Steve Kerr. Laying the foundation but isn’t the one to push us over the top.
Definitely needed a transition out of the disaster Hatch and Wellman intentionally inflicted with a Board of Trustees completely asleep at the wheel without a strategic bone among them. Forbes has been a great transition, rebuilding coach for us. He’s an awesome guy, portal whisperer, well-liked in the league, and a coach to whom any parent would trust their son. Moreover, he’s the best fit since Carl Tacy to relate and grow our regional fan base throughout Northwestern NC and the Triad. His floor is so much higher than the Hatch/ Wellman picks, it makes their stewardship so blatantly malfeasant on its face.

Unfortunately, however, Coach lacks two requisite skill sets necessary to win titles. In order to win titles, coaches have to be excellent, smart and nimble in-game coaches and good teachers of the game. They can’t hold one skill without holding the other. Championship coaches are their own chief in-game coach and teacher of the game for the fundamentals, tactics, strategy and culture of their programs.

Yeah I agree 100% but we always have excuses with this bunch, and drama:

Klintman absolutely was not supposed to leave.

Monsanto never really made it back.

Ituka looked decent in the summer and then got hurt.

Hildreth literally has a hairline fracture or some sort of break to his shooting arm. How is he playing?

Reid missed the first 1/3 of the season.

Marsh regressed somehow.

Our quarterback looked like he did not understand that he would be sacked if he just stood there forever. Oh, wrong sport.

It's just a litany of crap.

But what foundation? We have almost a whole new roster every year thanks to the portal and NIL. So it's not like if we had a new coach he would be coming into a situation where we are well stocked with talent just waiting for the right coach.
The guy before this guy did happen to make the NCAA First Four with an NBA first rounder. Last two previous seasons we had POY & first rounder and an AP POY in Applebee.

Substitute. Yank their asses out of the game and put in your other schollie players.

Back