• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Steve Forbes

1) No one said Wes “really” wants this job in particular. He wants big jobs I’m sure. It was many of us that wanted him to have our job in particular because we want to see WF win.

2) If Forbes hangs it up in 10 years, I for one would prefer someone younger than what Wes will be at that age.

Again, I think Forbes is awesome. Of course I would have hired Miller but that doesn’t mean I don’t think Forbes will improve our program greatly. I bet he does. And I love the guy’s personality.

But, as for Miller, he just got listed as 2nd choice at age 37 for an ACC school that his father was previously a large donor and is an alum. This is the same school that would not let him walk on and so he instead did so at a rival school helping win big things. So, to be clear, it doesn’t take any insight to know any chance to heal up Miller and Wake Forest is definitely closed at this point.

For better or worse, the concept of Miller to Wake Forest is now permanently off the table.

It’s the Steve Forbes era at Wake Forest. If it’s ever not the Steve Forbes era, it will be John Curries show again and I bet Currie will make another good choice. But that will never be Miller now. Next topic here. Any future posts on Miller will be on Inside Carolina. Because he has nothing to do with Wake Forest.

Amen, to the last sentence!

Another thing we learned inadvertently at this presser was who was involved in the search and hiring of Forbes. Someone earlier noted that Hatch would not be much involved but it looks like, from what Forbes said, that he was involved quite a bit.

My argument against Wes, and Kelsey too really, is not that he hasn't done a fantastic job with what he has. He has.
I just wonder if it's a mirage.
Sure he's won lots of SoCon games... but he's struggled to beat out the likes of Mike Young, Niko Medved/Bob Ritchey, and, yes Steve Forbes. (He couldn't beat Manning head to head either. Lol)
If he can't consistently beat the three other top coaches in his league, much less win championships over them, why give him the keys to the mothership?
Sure, other than Ritchey, Wes is now alone at the top. Let's see if he can handle it.

I think my mine grip with them was the black shorts which ruined the black unis for me. Something about the gold outlined WF logo on the shorts that doesn't sit right with me. I know I was in the minority on this though as social media loved them

DSC01684.JPG

I liked our uniforms this year. One of the few things that I have liked about Wake basketball in a long time.

But I wonder if/how Forbes will change them.

I'm not a huge fan of the grey unis though.
We could ditch those, IMO.

DR from 2012:
We probably have already missed the opportunity to hire him as I wanted to do before last season.

It's 2020 and we still coulda had him if we wanted him. What's another five years?

7f25ea0c-78ae-4a1f-8810-da2d592b641f_text_hi.gif

But from a dealing with DR perspective I am glad we at least hired an AD with his insatiable need for Wake Forest ties. If it was a complete outsider who had hired Forbes I don't think he'd be as accepting

PLEASE, will everybody put to bed the erroneous story that Wes Miller was not given an opportunity to walk on at Wake. It was reported on this board in a published article that Prosser offered Miller the same opportunity at the same time as Roy. Miller rejected Skip and elected to go to Chapel Hell. Miller stated that he felt like UNC was a better fit at the time and also one of his close prep team members at the time, by the name of Rashard McCants, was going to UNC with him.

please just stop talking about him. no one cares besides DR and maybe you

Forbes is coming in at an interesting time in ACC history. You have some ancient well established coaches who will be retiring in the next few years (UNC, Duke, FSU, Syr & Miami). You have some fair to poor recent mid major hires and Capel (BC, Pitt, VT, GT, NCSt). You have 2 guys in Brey and Brownell who are experiencing diminishing returns. You only have 2 schools who are well set with good coaches for the next decade plus - UVA and Louvul. Overall, the conference is down. Forbes is coming in at what should be a fairly opportune time.

Forbes is coming in at an interesting time in ACC history. You have some ancient well established coaches who will be retiring in the next few years (UNC, Duke, FSU, Syr & Miami). You have some fair to poor recent mid major hires and Capel (BC, Pitt, VT, GT, NCSt). You have 2 guys in Brey and Brownell who are experiencing diminishing returns. You only have 2 schools who are well set with good coaches for the next decade plus - UVA and Louvul. Overall, the conference is down. Forbes is coming in at what should be a fairly opportune time.

Makes sense; but I do hope he is able to defeat some of the legends before they retire!

Yep. And he would have been a candidate for some of those future openings besides the blue bloods, but we got him

Back