• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Still No Bates or Carney on Depth Chart for N.C. State

I think Carney, when healthy, is our 3rd best running back behind Byrd and Colburn.

But Bates is a massive loss.

I think Carney, when healthy, is our 3rd best running back behind Byrd and Colburn.

But Bates is a massive loss.

It's weird, my opinion of our RBs changes weekly. Colburn looked bad against FSU, IMHO, and I kind of wrote him off due to Byrd coming on strong and Carney getting healthy. Carney looked like a true #1 guy in the 1st half against GT, but has not had the year most of us expected, otherwise. The good news is that they all seem to be great kids, and can be utilized as complimentary backs who do different things. Especially with Dortch out (and once Carney gets healthy), I hope we get more than one on the field at a time going forward.

Our backfield should be one of the best in the conference, dare I say country, next year, which is something that hasn't been close to true since the Barclay/Andrews days.

When the season started I expected FSU, Clemson, Lville, ND, GT and State to be games we "couldn't " win and would wear us out for the other games. I think the opposite has happened. I agree 100% with the idea that we go up to ND, compete well, avoid injuries, and move on. ND is not championship material imo but they are much stronger than us, and considering our key injuries to Dortch and Bates our chances of an upset are very small. Winning 2 of our last 3 games is certainly possible though and that would be a VERY good season. Anything over 5 wins is great imo.

It's weird, my opinion of our RBs changes weekly. Colburn looked bad against FSU, IMHO, and I kind of wrote him off due to Byrd coming on strong and Carney getting healthy. Carney looked like a true #1 guy in the 1st half against GT, but has not had the year most of us expected, otherwise. The good news is that they all seem to be great kids, and can be utilized as complimentary backs who do different things. Especially with Dortch out (and once Carney gets healthy), I hope we get more than one on the field at a time going forward.

Our backfield should be one of the best in the conference, dare I say country, next year, which is something that hasn't been close to true since the Barclay/Andrews days.

Colburn definitely played like a # 1 back against Louisville.

Carney is a power back perhaps more likely to pick up definite short yardage, yet who is nonetheless capable of a 50-yd breakaway run as he did at Duke last year. Colburn is more shifty and also able to break long runs perhaps more frequently, while Byrd has shiftiness and breakaway speed. I suppose different situations would call for various styles, as would the style contemplated by our blocking scheme. I have no problem with Clawson's "hot hand" approach to our RB situation. Next season Byrd won't be a freshman and may take a more prominent role if he remains true to form.

Would like to see some screens to the RBs - not the bubble screens where we split them out wide, but traditional screens where we let the DL through and OL get out in front. Byrd and Colburn could do some damage on these, especially with overly aggressive front 7s. Have we run one of these all year?

Carney is a power back perhaps more likely to pick up definite short yardage, yet who is nonetheless capable of a 50-yd breakaway run as he did at Duke last year. Colburn is more shifty and also able to break long runs perhaps more frequently, while Byrd has shiftiness and breakaway speed. I suppose different situations would call for various styles, as would the style contemplated by our blocking scheme. I have no problem with Clawson's "hot hand" approach to our RB situation. Next season Byrd won't be a freshman and may take a more prominent role if he remains true to form.

Yeah, I think in terms of YPC, it's Byrd, Colburn, and Carney in that order. I think Carney's reputation lives off the Duke game. He's the last guy out of the 3 I'd want to take on with a full head of steam, but he just doesn't make a lot of people miss. Colburn has the best combination of power, speed, and agility. I'd like Carney on a 4th and 1, but that's about it. Byrd's speed is necessary as well as a changup. I think rotating all three is good depending on the situation. Short yardage Carney. I'd like to see Colburn get the majority of the carries. And if a defense is over-pursuing on off tackle runs, I like Byrd's ability to cut back and break one.

Look for Beal to be VERY good for us. I have no doubt that he'll be a big time play maker and can play multiple positions. He played a lot of RB in HS but he could also shift into the slot. Also see him being back on KR's with Dortch next year. Those 2 guys will be electric together.

When the season started I expected FSU, Clemson, Lville, ND, GT and State to be games we "couldn't " win and would wear us out for the other games. I think the opposite has happened. I agree 100% with the idea that we go up to ND, compete well, avoid injuries, and move on. ND is not championship material imo but they are much stronger than us, and considering our key injuries to Dortch and Bates our chances of an upset are very small. Winning 2 of our last 3 games is certainly possible though and that would be a VERY good season. Anything over 5 wins is great imo.

I hope you are right. I think we get rolled without Dortch and Bates.

The thing that worries me, is we are without a huge piece of our offense, one of our RB's and a big piece of our defense. Facing Elko without a couple of our pieces is not a good thing.

If we come within 21 of ND, it will be an outstanding performance given our injuries.

If we come within 21 of ND, it will be an outstanding performance given our injuries.

Ehh I'm thinking/hoping our boys up front are better than that. I thought UL was going to beat us by 2 TDs+ and we all saw what happened. The injuries hurt, but hopefully we have a "next man up" mentality. Hines is no Dortch, but a very capable WR, and ND is definitely a run-first team, which mitigates the Bates loss a bit (although he's one of our best tacklers as well).

If we can win the TO battle and limit long runs, while hitting a few deep balls ourselves, it could be a close game. Really interested to see how our DL fares against one of the best, if not the best, OL in the country.

Bates just seems like that guy on defense that makes sure good plays don't turn into great plays. He's always the guy making a great tackle in space, shutting down a running back right when they break through the first level, or helping over the middle when a quick slant looks like it might go for a big gain. And Dortch is responsible for like 80% of our big plays Clawson's offense relies on to work.

Either someone has to step up in those two roles or we'll get trounced. Clawson's improved our depth for sure, so maybe it won't be as bad as it would have been the last few years... But still. Notre Dame has the #3 spot in the college football playoffs at the moment and we're at their place. Louisville was a huge game with lots of injuries. Play smart, try to slow the game down, hopefully keep it close - but most of all get healthy and look to the future...

Yeah, I think in terms of YPC, it's Byrd, Colburn, and Carney in that order. I think Carney's reputation lives off the Duke game. He's the last guy out of the 3 I'd want to take on with a full head of steam, but he just doesn't make a lot of people miss. Colburn has the best combination of power, speed, and agility. I'd like Carney on a 4th and 1, but that's about it. Byrd's speed is necessary as well as a changup. I think rotating all three is good depending on the situation. Short yardage Carney. I'd like to see Colburn get the majority of the carries. And if a defense is over-pursuing on off tackle runs, I like Byrd's ability to cut back and break one.

I would like to see Colburn and Byrd splitting reps the first 3 quarters and if we have a lead in 4th quarters turn it into the Carney show. I think he could be scary against a tired defense.

Did I read somewhere that Christian Beal is listed on the depth chart?

I invision him as similar to Dortch in his skill set. Would we burn his redshirt if we think we need him to to achieve a bowl game?

I tried to tell you guys that Colburn is our most complete back.

Would argue Byrd is our most complete back. Fast, quick, patient (probably his top asset), catches the ball in the backfield, is on passing downs so I would assume he is good in pass-pro.

Back