• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Suggestions for Apartment Living in Winston Salem

mikedrum4prez

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Even though I don't post all that often I figured I would come here to ask for some advice. Recent college grad (grew up just outside of Winston) and have now moved back here for work. I was supposed to be living with another friend of mine, and we were planning on getting an apartment downtown (2br). Now my circumstances have changed and there is a good chance I will be getting a 1br (still may try to find a roommate).

I expect my income for the year to be around 40-45k (I am salary+commision). Anyone have suggestions on apartments or good places to live around town? Thanks in advance.

Thanks, was hoping to live downtown but a 1br downtown is a little out of my price range.

what's your price range? does it have to be downtown? does it need to be a complex or would a house be something you'd be interested in?

Your #1 tip is not to listen to plama.

Says the girl who said "man I can't believe this house is so cheap" and dismissed me when I said "the owners probably know something's wrong with it" only to pay $10k to fix her water heater a few months later.

what's your price range? does it have to be downtown? does it need to be a complex or would a house be something you'd be interested in?

I'd say my range is about 500-800. I would certainly consider a house. Does not have to be downtown, but if I have a roommate, that is what I would prefer.

Hilltop House is downtown, about a half a mile walk to 4th Street, and has some 1 BR units in the $750 to $850 range. Other options downtown won't get you in the price range without a roommate. Nissen Building is about to have several openings in the next few months. I'm hearing Plant 64 might be the same, but that is more speculation at this point.

There are always houses and houses made into apartments in the West End.

Says the girl who said "man I can't believe this house is so cheap" and dismissed me when I said "the owners probably know something's wrong with it" only to pay $10k to fix her water heater a few months later.

That is not relevant to this thread, but my house was/is well within average price point for my neighborhood, and it was over 2 years into owning my house when I needed to spend $6400 to replace the furnace/AC. Nothing has ever been wrong with my water heater. I know you want to be right about it, you want me to have made some big costly mistake, but you're wrong. 65 year old furnaces eventually need to be replaced, even if it's a bitter pill to swallow.

And for the OP, though I was not a grad student, I found a great apartment situation (part of a house in the West End) via the Wake med school housing list. http://graduate.wfu.edu/housing.html

I'd say my range is about 500-800. I would certainly consider a house. Does not have to be downtown, but if I have a roommate, that is what I would prefer.

I was paying that much in rent in Raleigh when I graduated from college. That was in 1991.

+1 on the Med school list. The law school has one too but is centered around Reynolda.

I know you want to be right about it, you want me to have made some big costly mistake, but you're wrong.

Your attitude surely is different now than the 3 Chat threads you spent talking about how much of a financial burden it was. Its okay to say you're wrong. This is a safe place.

I rented a smaller recently renovated two bedroom for $595/mo right off of Broad Street four years ago. Had a washer/dryer, new kitchen everything, wood floors. I rented through Ogburn Properties.

Winston is cheap.

I rented a smaller recently renovated two bedroom for $595/mo right off of Broad Street four years ago. Had a washer/dryer, new kitchen everything, wood floors. I rented through Ogburn Properties.

Winston is cheap.

Ogburn sucks though. Don't rent though them.

I've heard that from other people but never had any issues with them. That being said just get an apartment in West End or in a non-"highrise" complex downtown and the OP can easily keep it under $800/mo.

Thanks for the advice fellas. Any suggestions if I was to go for a place that is not DT?

Man, this just makes me appreciate how dirt cheap the Bungalow is. Maybe I should never move.

Yeah, go West End, which is practically downtown, and where my roots are.

Back