• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Super Bowl XLVI Thread

Does anyone else find the 12th man on defense intriguing?

Wonder if more teams might try this next year if another team has 2-3 hail Marries to win a game. The offense losing the clock that elapses and you have 12 men on the field to defend the play.

Anyone else think other teams may try this move in college and pros more often?

I was thinking the same thing. But why stop at 12? They could have thrown 15 on the field and it would have still only been a 5 yard penalty, no?

Does anyone else find the 12th man on defense intriguing?

Wonder if more teams might try this next year if another team has 2-3 hail Marries to win a game. The offense losing the clock that elapses and you have 12 men on the field to defend the play.

Anyone else think other teams may try this move in college and pros more often?
:naughty: Great and interesting point. If it becomes widespread I bet you see a rule change involving putting time back on the clock under a minute or something similar.

I'm not certain the 12th man was not intentional on the Giants part. If so, it was actually a brilliant move. So what if you get caught! Your 12th guy just knocked down the pass and it's a 5 yard penalty.

If you don't get caught, your 12th guy just knocked down the pass!

I'm sure our WF coaching staff will think this one over.

At some levels 12 men on the field is a 15 yard penalty & not just some substitution penalty for 5 yards. I would think playing with 12 ought to be 15. Doing some running off the field late ought to be 5 yards.

I was thinking the same thing. But why stop at 12? They could have thrown 15 on the field and it would have still only been a 5 yard penalty, no?

Exactly. Hell, just run 5-6 guys onto the field after the ball is snapped if it's a 5 yard penalty.

I noticed tonight that the pats have an irregularly high proportion of white guys on their offense.

At some levels 12 men on the field is a 15 yard penalty & not just some substitution penalty for 5 yards. I would think playing with 12 ought to be 15. Doing some running off the field late ought to be 5 yards.

But the key is that the time is never put back onto the clock. I'm not advocating doing this in the first quarter.

I'm just saying that in hail marry situations, it makes perfect sense because you defend with 12 and the offense loses the clock time.

But the key is that the time is never put back onto the clock. I'm not advocating doing this in the first quarter.

I'm just saying that in hail marry situations, it makes perfect sense because you defend with 12 and the offense loses the clock time.

I am sure the officials have the option to call "Unsportsmanlike Conduct" on the team if they run 15 guys out there or play with 12 on multiple downs.

if its a hail mary then its prob the last or one of last plays of the game. so you would just keep giving them chances to catch a lucky play since you can't end on a penalty

Chelsea and Man Ure played a more exciting game yesterday. The one time I need Thomas to win to keep that baby Eli from getting another SB, he poops the bed...you suck Thomas.

lets see

- terrible safety
- terrible interception
- terrible throw to welker
- terrible job on the final drive

well done fancy boy. well done.

lets see

- terrible safety
- terrible interception
- terrible throw to welker
- terrible job on the final drive

well done fancy boy. well done.

Could you be more wrong?

I thought the safety was a poor call. I've never seen that called intentional grounding before.

The interception I thought was a good idea. Gronk 1 on 1 deep v a LB is a matchup I will take all day long.

The throw to Welker is being universally panned as a good throw. If he leads him it is an INT or he gets Welker killed. That is a ball Welker catches 99 out of 100 times.

The final drive was killed by drops.

I'm not a Brady fan at all, but he didn't play poorly. If Patriots D holds Eli down, Brady wins MVP easily.

suck it brady

Brady sad :(

216307020-06073328.jpg

Could you be more wrong?

I thought the safety was a poor call. I've never seen that called intentional grounding before.

Just because you havent seen it, doesnt mean its a poor call

The interception I thought was a good idea. Gronk 1 on 1 deep v a LB is a matchup I will take all day long.

Even though I agree with this matchup, Gronk was obviously nothimself, and the throw was underthrown

The throw to Welker is being universally panned as a good throw. If he leads him it is an INT or he gets Welker killed. That is a ball Welker catches 99 out of 100 times.

It is not being universally panned as a good throw. There was nobody around, and he threw it to the wrong shoulder. Even if that is a ball Welker catches all the time, the dude had to a) jump (the dude is short to begin with) b) rotate in mid air

This I agree with you on.

I'm not a Brady fan at all, but he didn't play poorly. If Patriots D holds Eli down, Brady wins MVP easily.

I agree that you cant blame the game on Brady, but for a guy who many were talking about before the game as an all time great, you cant make the mistakes he did

Could you be more wrong?

Safety call was the absolute right call. Brady was between the tackles in the endzone. He was a split second away from being sacked, so he threw the ball away. That's intentional ground in the endzone no matter which way you slice it.

The interception was bad because it was on first down. If it was 3rd and 10, it would be a different story.

I agree with your other two points.

Could you be more wrong?

The INT was horribly under thrown. He makes that throw 3-5 yards deeper, and that's a TD.

I agree with you about the drops.

Safety was a bad decision. Interception was a good decision just a bad throw. The Welker throw could have been better but also could have been caught. Last drive was killed by drops. Brady was like 16 for 16 at one point and was on track of setting the record for Passer Rating (pretty sure on this), he didnt have his best game, but by no means was this loss on him. Some coaching decisions were much more problematic and led to the loss.

So I was a little over the top, but I really don't think Brady played that poorly.

The INT was underthrown, but sometimes I think QBs do underthrow balls to get DPI.

The safety was a weird call, just because you never see an INT in the middle of the field if the QB doesn't have someone hanging off him.

The Welker pass wasn't perfect, but it was still a good throw.

Once the game was over last night, I couldn't figure out how the Patriots only scored 17 points. Brady didn't get sacked much, the Pats only turned it over 1 time, Brady threw for 276 yards. They had no running game, Hernandez and Welker got open a lot, but no one else did. This might be the year for the Pats to trade up and get someone like Blackman, or a CB like Claiborne. Trading back hasn't helped them at all. They have wasted their extra picks.

Back