• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Sutton Sports Performance Center Catches Fire At Wake Forest University

No. I think I went in there once freshman year. I don’t even remember knowing any KAs. I partied everywhere else though. Usually Sigma Nu and Sigma Pi.

We took our picture on a fire truck. Because...I don't remember why.

No. I think I went in there once freshman year. I don’t even remember knowing any KAs. I partied everywhere else though. Usually Sigma Nu and Sigma Pi.

Right on. Just curious if you had any memorable interactions with them while you were there.

I would have to agree that KA’s are generally rednecks, especially at public universities, such as where I went. Although, most of those guys, in my experiences seem harmless and inclusive, regardless of their southern roots and what they perceive to be their “heritage”. I would say the vast majority are proud of the region they grew up in rather than what their ancestors were actually fighting for. Call it willful blindness or just plain innocent stupidity, but I would guess the vast majority aren’t racists.

I can’t speak knowledgeably about the specific incident on campus, but I can understand both arguments, especially that her apology was inadequate. Having said that, I don’t think she deserves her name to be slandered and certainly don’t think her job should be in jeapardy.

Technical point: That’s not Benson. Didn’t exist then.

Good point. I was thinking it was Benson because it’s right by KA. Steps by Reynolda then right? Benson was built like 1989 or 90 I think. It was pretty new first time I visited campus.

Looks to me like the steps between Reynolda and Davis, leading up to the quad.

The photo was taken on the steps between Davis and Reynolda. That was right outside the KA entry. The pictured flag is much bigger, and appears to be held at the top of the stairs by some of the KA brothers for the picture.

At that time the KA entrance was in the bottom of Davis Dorm, in the corner closest to Reynolda Hall. They had a smaller confederate flag flying beside their entry daily. It was almost impossible to go to the Pit or to many classes without seeing the KA confederate flag. There was no Benson blocking the view from the front of Tribble to the KA entry flag. That end of Reynolda was the primary entry to the Pit, unless you came into Reynolda from the quad and went down the steps.

The photo was taken on the steps between Davis and Reynolda. That was right outside the KA entry. The pictured flag is much bigger, and appears to be held at the top of the stairs by some of the KA brothers for the picture.

At that time the KA entrance was in the bottom of Davis Dorm, in the corner closest to Reynolda Hall. They had a smaller confederate flag flying beside their entry daily. It was almost impossible to go to the Pit or to many classes without seeing the KA confederate flag. There was no Benson blocking the view from the front of Tribble to the KA entry flag. That end of Reynolda was the primary entry to the Pit, unless you came into Reynolda from the quad and went down the steps.

Yep.

Ya. My freshman suite was Davis 310. Right above the entrance to the KA house. This was 1986...used to walk by the confederate flag every day.

I think if we had a do-over on the Civil War the South would win easily.

I think if we had a do-over on the Civil War the South would win easily.

That’s like saying Alabama or Clemson would win the national champion without black players.

Why else would someone pose with a Confederate flag?

Why else would someone pose with a Confederate flag?

We've already answered this 5 pages ago.

BC they were kids, BC more than likely they just didn't think about it, or just didn't care. A passive stance that most of them probably regret now, but just didn't have the worldview or maturity or enough meaningful interactions with african-americans to appreciate the implications of their actions in 1980. It's certainly fair in 2019 to ask 'why did you do that?' or 'what is your stance on the flag now?' and then listen to their explanation.

Just like if we went back and looked at 19 year old PH in the yearbook, posing outside the sociology building in a black Green Lantern Tee, Zubaz pants, clunky horn rimmed glasses, and Karl Malone LA Gear hightops, we might ask....'Were you an giant dork then?' or 'Did no one ever teach you how to dress?' or 'Did you have any friends that were not virgins?' and then we might then follow up with questions on how you've changed like 'Have you learned how to dress like an adult?' or 'Do you let your wife purchase and pick out your clothes now?'

The reason they did it was in the 70s KAs were openly racist and proud of it. The flag represented segregation and worse and they knew it. Don't give a group a pass who made no bones about not wanting people of color to be part of their club.

You can bury your head in the sand all you like and try to rationalize anything. The reality was the KAs of the 70s and before were stridently and proudly racist.

The reality is that in all likelihood you didn't personally know a single one of them and you have proven to be constantly full of shit and aggressively wrong for over a decade of posting history now, so, no one cares what you think.

You have no clue about me or anything. You are being totally defensive about something you don't know anything about.

But it's easier to hate and be lazy. You prove this all the time.

My point in posting that quote is that it wasn't until 2001 that the ADULTS in charge of KA told the kids to knock it off. Prior to that, it's what KA's did at parties for 100 years.

Easy Jesus Juice. The KAs at Wake were not displaying confederate flags at wake in 2001 or a long time before. Please tell us more of your geedy adventures though.

Anyone else surprised that more old photos of current officeholders in blackface haven't cropped up? Northam and Herring can't be the only politicians with that particular skeleton in the closet. Maybe the opposition research guys are holding their powder for October surprises.

Easy Jesus Juice. The KAs at Wake were not displaying confederate flags at wake in 2001 or a long time before. Please tell us more of your geedy adventures though.

I'm guessing you weren't even alive in the 70s much less had any clue what was going on at Wake at the time.

My bad, your boundless arrogance and omniscience leads you to know more than those who were there.

TAB is the lectro of this thread.

Feel free to read my original post again, which was making the point that as recently as 2001, there were plenty of people who thought that displaying the flag was no big deal. It took actual mature adults until then to decide that the flag shouldn't be part of KA across the country, so it's not surprising that college guys (who are generally not known for their thoughtfulness) didn't take this step on their own. My fraternity was rude too, and as a 19 year old I didn't care; just wanted to get drunk and have fun.

When I was at Wake in the 90s, plenty of people had the confederate flag on their wall, in their window, etc. If you think that no KAs were displaying the confederate flag on their wall in the 90s, you're kidding yourself.

Back