• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Taggart just got canned and starts the Coaching Carousel early

Went to WFU at Baylor in 2007 or 2008. It was an oven hot armpit of a place. The downtown was dilapidated. The campus was unimpressive. No tailgating (alcohol) was permitted in the university owned parking lots adjacent to the stadium. Syracuse is a close second, but Waco was the worst college football road trip ever.

Yeah that stadium was awful...just a shitty stadium in a shitty place far from campus. The new stadium on campus is much better.

I disagree with you on the campus though - although coming from Wake most campuses are unimpressive! With that said, there have been a lot of changes over the past decade.

Bears and Deacs, could you go over to the Panthers thread and give your thoughts about Matt Rhule?

Wazzu is hiring Hawaii's Nick Rolovich as its next head coach. Rolovich is leaving his alma mater, where he played QB. Apparently, Wazzu is using Miss State buy-out money to pay Rolovich $3 million per year.

So, now, the Hawaii job is open.

I could see Clawson taking this job but I don't think he likes poi.

Fuente is the leading candidate to replace Rhule at Baylor. I've gotten the impression VT may not be all that happy with him and wouldn't pay him enough to get him to stay. Is that the right read?

Fuente is the leading candidate to replace Rhule at Baylor. I've gotten the impression VT may not be all that happy with him and wouldn't pay him enough to get him to stay. Is that the right read?

If he leaves could help Wake's recruiting. They are considered the favorite for a 2021 ILB that might come to Wake instead, and would be a huge pickup for us. IMO I hope Fuente leaves, helps our recruiting.

I think we interviewed Billy Napier today as well. And we still have Joey McGuire on our staff - a lot of our players have been tweeting their support for him.

Went to WFU at Baylor in 2007 or 2008. It was an oven hot armpit of a place. The downtown was dilapidated. The campus was unimpressive. No tailgating (alcohol) was permitted in the university owned parking lots adjacent to the stadium. Syracuse is a close second, but Waco was the worst college football road trip ever.

Yes because in 12 years nothing changes. Magnolia Market, which takes up like 2 blocks of downtown, wasn't even there. The campus has undergone multiple renovations since then. I haven't been to Waco since 2017, so more things could be there for all I know. However, basing statements on information more than a decade old, acquired in 1 weekend, seems dubious.

If VT had won their last 2 games (with a reasonable loss to Clemson in the ACCCG in between) there would have been a lot of speculation about Fuente for those jobs. like Buzz Williams, he's a southwestern US guy and likely had good recruiting ties at Memphis to mine for MSU.

I kinda doubt it. He still has lousy baggage from last off season. Plus his recruiting has been very unVT like.

Fuente is interviewing at Baylor today according to the Roanoke Times.

He returns. All sobered up and back for more.
Ex-Louisville coach Petrino to Missouri State https://es.pn/30m4XI8
via @ESPN App http://espn.com/app
"Missouri State has hired Bobby Petrino as its new coach, the school announced Wednesday morning.
Petrino, 58, will be introduced Thursday morning at a news conference at JQH Arena in Springfield.
He last coached at Louisville in 2018, but was fired after a 2-8 start to the season. Petrino went 77-35 in two stints as Louisville coach and has an overall record of 119-56 as a college coach at Louisville, Western Kentucky and Arkansas. He spent part of the 2007 season as Atlanta Falcons head coach but left for the Arkansas job after a 3-10 start.

supposedly they were gonna announce Art Briles but now it's Petrino. Guess they have a type.

If VT had won their last 2 games (with a reasonable loss to Clemson in the ACCCG in between) there would have been a lot of speculation about Fuente for those jobs. like Buzz Williams, he's a southwestern US guy and likely had good recruiting ties at Memphis to mine for MSU.

I kinda doubt it. He still has lousy baggage from last off season. Plus his recruiting has been very unVT like.

Yes because in 12 years nothing changes. Magnolia Market, which takes up like 2 blocks of downtown, wasn't even there. The campus has undergone multiple renovations since then. I haven't been to Waco since 2017, so more things could be there for all I know. However, basing statements on information more than a decade old, acquired in 1 weekend, seems dubious.

The Show Pony was talking on Monday about some new hotel Chip & JoJo are building and how all a coach needed to do was to get a recruit's mom there for some of JoJo's biscuits and strawberry butter to seal the deal. Very funny but probably some grains of truth to it.

the selling point for Waco is two blocks of tv show-branded retail?

get me on that next flight

Been to Baylor's campus and it was nice.

Very hot (duh) and the grass was "burnt" like the landscape crew just threw up their hands and gave up, but it was nice.

He returns. All sobered up and back for more.
Ex-Louisville coach Petrino to Missouri State https://es.pn/30m4XI8
via @ESPN App http://espn.com/app
"Missouri State has hired Bobby Petrino as its new coach, the school announced Wednesday morning.
Petrino, 58, will be introduced Thursday morning at a news conference at JQH Arena in Springfield.
He last coached at Louisville in 2018, but was fired after a 2-8 start to the season. Petrino went 77-35 in two stints as Louisville coach and has an overall record of 119-56 as a college coach at Louisville, Western Kentucky and Arkansas. He spent part of the 2007 season as Atlanta Falcons head coach but left for the Arkansas job after a 3-10 start.

Stripper earnings looking up in Springfield.

The Show Pony was talking on Monday about some new hotel Chip & JoJo are building and how all a coach needed to do was to get a recruit's mom there for some of JoJo's biscuits and strawberry butter to seal the deal. Very funny but probably some grains of truth to it.

who or what is The Show Pony?

supposedly they were gonna announce Art Briles but now it's Petrino. Guess they have a type.

I think they wanted Petrino all along and threw out Briles as a smoke screen. By announcing it could possibly be Briles, people were relieved when it was "only" Petrino.

who or what is The Show Pony?

Nickname for Chris Childers. Sports talk show host on ESPNU radio. He is a bright kid. Cum laude grad from Middle Tenn State. Played football there. He works with Rick Neuheisel on the radio. Mostly talks about college football.

Fuente is interviewing at Baylor today according to the Roanoke Times.

He better hope he gets the job. I cant see how he steps foot back in Blacksburg after this. He just filled his staff a day or two ago.

Back