• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Taking a Look at Duke's FB Prgram

The point of my post was that you never know what you have when you make a hire, so sometimes you luck out and I think in this instance Duke did. Much like Wake did with John Mackovic, or Cal Stoll, we just did not commit to them as we should have to keep them here and with resources to continue winning.

The point of my post was that you never know what you have when you make a hire, so sometimes you luck out and I think in this instance Duke did. Much like Wake did with John Mackovic, or Cal Stoll, we just did not commit to them as we should have to keep them here and with resources to continue winning.

I think Cutcliffe was a great hire for Duke, I thought so before he ever started having success there. He was a well known name, had ties to the "first family of football," and the reputation of being a really good coach. Seems like I remember Bob Davies name was tossed around during that search as well, Duke definitely went with the right one there.

Will South Carolina come calling for Cutcliffe??

I would be kind of surprised if SC hired another coach that far into the back 9 or their career. I think Cutcliffe is perfectly happy to spend the rest of his career at Duke.

Cut did well at Ole Miss. The only reason he got shitcanned there was because expectations got ramped up in Eli's senior year when they nearly made the SECCG by barely losing to eventual-champ LSU, then Eli left and they naturally fell off a bit the next year.

And his offensive bona fides are unquestioned. It was way more than a lucky hire

Anything is possible, but Cut is 61. Despite his success, think his age probably excludes him from being a target of football superpower. FWIW, I think Cut is fine with that. He has found a nice niche. Expectations are reasonable at Duke, the school has made a commitment to football, and it is easier than ever to recruit big time players to academically oriented private schools (Stanford, Northwestern, to a lesser extent TCU and Baylor all have proven that you don't need to be State U to compete on the highest levels of college football).

Let's be honest -- the only reason Duke is recruiting well is because they were good in the '60s

Let's be honest -- the only reason Duke is recruiting well is because they were good in the '60s

You know they were a football power 50 some years ago. Heck they even hosted a Rose Bowl game there, leather helmets and all.

I'm surprised that Duke v. Army game last Saturday wasn't ABC's primetime game over FSU-Miami game, I mean Duke and Army were powers several decades ago.

Last edited:
SC hired Spurrier at 61. I think they're more likely to hire an established coach than other jobs who will likely be fighting for the same up and comers.

Agree with your edit. We also had a lot of bounces go our way that year.

In 2006, the state of the acc was slightly different. Wake played #23 Ga tech in the ACC championship game in 2006. Duke played #1 Florida State, eventual national champion, in the ACCCG in 2013. Big difference in opponent.

They are taking advantage of having an average team in a terrible division with an awful OOC schedule. Duke beat 8 teams last year with a losing record. They have yet to play a team that will have a winning record this year. They last time they played Clemson and/or FSU was 2012 and they lost by a combined 77 points.

#20 Northwestern at 5-1 says hello.

Notify me when they win an ACC championship. They aren't FSU, Clemson, GT, or VT. Who gives a flying fuck? Stop trying to make them out to be more than they are. They're mediocre at best. The end.

Notify me when they win an ACC championship. They aren't FSU, Clemson, GT, or VT. Who gives a flying fuck? Stop trying to make them out to be more than they are. They're mediocre at best. The end.

We have lost multiple recruiting battles the last few years to Duke for the type player that both programs covet. And for us to be bowl eligible over the next few years(realistic ceiling of 6-7 wins until Clawson gets the program to the "next level",,,baby steps) we need to get back to beating our "cross-division rival" on a regular basis again.
I still think we have a higher ceiling than Duke; look no further than a nice fall day vs. top-25 Northwestern and maybe 23K are in the stands. We have much more alumni and local support than Duke for our football program to build on.

Another interesting piece of trivia regarding Wake BC and Duke BC games. The last time Duke won a game 3-0 was.....vs WF in 1978....

We have lost multiple recruiting battles the last few years to Duke for the type player that both programs covet. And for us to be bowl eligible over the next few years(realistic ceiling of 6-7 wins until Clawson gets the program to the "next level",,,baby steps) we need to get back to beating our "cross-division rival" on a regular basis again.
I still think we have a higher ceiling than Duke; look no further than a nice fall day vs. top-25 Northwestern and maybe 23K are in the stands. We have much more alumni and local support than Duke for our football program to build on.

Paging bkf.

For me, it's the fact that the coastal division has been down the last few years, allowing duke to get established. Put them in the Atlantic (where fsu and Clemson are top 10 teams) and there program doesn't have the same success.

Duke thumped Army while we barely squeaked by. We still have some catching up to do.

For me, it's the fact that the coastal division has been down the last few years, allowing duke to get established. Put them in the Atlantic (where fsu and Clemson are top 10 teams) and there program doesn't have the same success.

I'm not going to piss on Duke too much, they've got a nice run going, Cutcliffe has improved that program by leaps and bounds and honestly I'm not sure it doesn't help our program. Surely Hatch and Wellman have to be looking at Duke, much the way they looked at us in 2006-08, and saying if they can be having success we've got to too. As long as we were still beating Duke every year they could say, hey we're still better than our closest peer, not so now.

Back