• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Taking a Look at Duke's FB Prgram

He's the head football coach at Pahokee now. Hopefully he'll send some players our way.

I thought I was taking a photo that no one would want to see of Duke's winning TD pass...then, Superman flew in from nowhere.

Smith%20pick%20OT%2003-L.jpg

Great Fucking Picture!!!!

For me, it's the fact that the coastal division has been down the last few years, allowing duke to get established. Put them in the Atlantic (where fsu and Clemson are top 10 teams) and there program doesn't have the same success.

Agreed with this and I still give Duke a lot of credit. They have definitely benefited from a down Coastal division.

If Wake plays in the tougher division they should be the tougher team having played Clemson and FSU over the years. The Wake bar is higher. We should be forced to recruit better and coach better to get to the top of our division. But it all looks like bullshit when we get beat by Duke. We used to be Duke's worst nightmare. It's time to begin another ten year beat down.

The lucky thing that Duke did was hire David Cutcliffe and then allow him to assemble a good staff with a good recruiting budget. It is not rocket science.

There success is based on playing us every year and not having to lose to Clemson and FSU every year.

Speaking of Lewis, it makes me think of Phonz coming out of nowhere to intercept his pass in OT in the 2008 game at BB&T. We had already kicked a FG on our OT possession. I watched that ball leave Lewis's hand, he had a receiver wide open in the end zone and for split second I thought it was over and then Phonz comes flying out of nowhere, leaped up and picked it off, game over! That and his 100 yard returned pick 6 against Maryland in the 4th quarter to spark the comeback against them in 2007, were probably my favorite Phonz plays.

But my favorite story about Phonz was the final exam and dartboard tale.

There success is based on playing us every year and not having to lose to Clemson and FSU every year.

Our success was based on playing Duke every year and not having to lose to Va Tech every year.

You are right we have been fortunate not having to play them annually, but we've been doing pretty well in the coastal that Coach Cut's got his recruiting classes fully in. It's weird; we were so god awful for years and years with zero, one and two win seasons and suddenly we're taking for granted that we should be in a bowl game year after year. It's still surreal. I'm optimistic now that Coach Cut is bringing in top 25 classes nationally. I know we'll never been CFP good, but compared to being the worst P5 program in football for almost twenty years, it's quite a sight to see.

It's not like Coach Cut deserves all the credit however. Several key boosters, along with AD Kevin White who took over in 2008, planned this out with a huge institutional commitment to Football facilities and training staff when he came in. Wallace Wade was embarrassing and we had worse practice facilities than a lot of high schools, but that's all changed. We'll never be able to compete financially with the Alabama's and USC's of the world, but there's definitely room for schools like us, Wake, Northwestern, etc, to be good with the financial resources at their disposal.

So, this guy named BKF is about to reply to your post Dukeson. Just ignore him.

And we were there, taking bowl-game seasons for granted, a la the '08 Eagle Bank Bowl season. But I'd give anything for a freezing cold December game in RFK at this point

The lucky thing that Duke did was hire David Cutcliffe and then allow him to assemble a good staff with a good recruiting budget. It is not rocket science.

And allow kids to get in school and not hamstring the entire athletic department with ridiculous admission standards where every private school kid is an exception like all those Bolles School kids we used to get. Until Dr hatch gets rid of Martha Allman or tells her to "lighten up Francis", it won't matter how much money we throw into athletics.

Just saw a Duke Football billboard on I-64 in Richmond of all places.

Duke has certainly benefitted from the best conference schedule imagineable over the past few years. Part of it is they get us every year but I don't remember the lash time they played FSU or Clemson (in the regular season) although I'm sure it's been somewhat recent

Reff,
Duke Basketball started the academic ease in Durham about ten years ago and football has gotten great benefits from it also.

2014 and 2015 is the first two-year period in a while in which Duke has avoided both Clemson and FSU. In the four years prior to that, they played FSU three times and Clemson once during the regular season. They lost all four game by anywhere from 30-40 points.

We lost to Va Tech on our Orange Bowl run...

Yes, but that game wasn't particularly important to us. Our running backs were banged up and the Maryland game (the next week) would decide the Atlantic Division champion.

Back