• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Taking a Look at Duke's FB Prgram

Duke thumped Army while we barely squeaked by. We still have some catching up to do.

Well, Duke didn't lose their QB early in that game and I think Army was playing with greased footballs because they couldn't quit fumbling, but yeah we've got some catching up to do. We'll find out how much come the last game of the regular season.

Surely Hatch and Wellman have to be looking at Duke, much the way they looked at us in 2006-08, and saying if they can be having success we've got to too.

You overestimate their desire for Wake Forest sports to succeed.

You overestimate their desire for Wake Forest sports to succeed.

Yeah, it makes you wonder doesn't it. I do feel pretty good right now though with the facility upgrades that are happening and the coaches we have of the revenue sports. Time will tell though.

The mishandled snap was compounded by the holder trying to make a play out of it and fumbling the ball into the arms of a Clemson defensive lineman who returned it for a TD. Watching that play was liking watching a car crash in slow motion.

Wake-Clemson%2073-L.jpg

Wake-Clemson%2074-L.jpg

It would've been fine with me, not to relive that with pictures. Swank should've tackled the holder himself. RIP Gaines Adams.

Cutcliffe's improvements showed as wins right away. He won as many games in his first year as Duke has won in the previous 4 seasons. They had one 4 win season in the previous 8 seasons.

It would've been fine with me, not to relive that with pictures. Swank should've tackled the holder himself. RIP Gaines Adams.

I never thought about Swank tackling the holder, for some reason. If he did, we move on to 6-0 very likely.

This is our 'Lorenzo Charles' moment, only the opposite.

True. In comparison to Carl Franks and Ted Roof, Cutcliffe worked miracles during his first four years. However, compared to an absolute standard of "a winning season and a trip to a bowl game," his record during his first four years did not excite Duke fans (or anyone) very much. Cutcliffe did not even beat LOWF until his fifth year (2012).

Obviously, I'm pointing this out to counsel patience to Deacon fans. Despite the fact that Duke had a much worse record under Franks and Roof than Wake did under Grobe, I think Clawson's rebuilding challenge is just as tough as the one that Cutcliffe faced at Duke.

Duke had to rebuild facilities as well. Wake already had much of that.

What's your point? Duke stunk during Cutcliffe's first 4 years. He built the program up to at least mediocre since.

Do you think Clawson took over a program in better shape that Cutcliffe when he got to Wake?

Duke also had a very nice on-campus football center in place when Cutcliffe got there. The Yoh football center was built in 2002.

What's your point? Duke stunk during Cutcliffe's first 4 years. He built the program up to at least mediocre since.

Do you think Clawson took over a program in better shape that Cutcliffe when he got to Wake?

Was Wake in 2013 in better shape than Duke in 2007? Yes.

Was Wake in 2013 in better shape than Duke in 2007? Yes.

In 2013 yes, but what was left from the 2013 team on the 2014 team is questionable I think. Clawson inherited a mess last year on the offensive side of the ball.

If you go by number of wins in the prior 5 years, sure. If you go by talent in the program, maybe not.

I don't remember Duke's rosters back then, so that may be the case. I just think Cutcliffe had a lot more program building and building fan expectations to do back then compared to Clawson now.

I don't remember Duke's rosters back then, so that may be the case. I just think Cutcliffe had a lot more program building and building fan expectations to do back then compared to Clawson now.

He certainly had a lot more program building from the standpoint of Duke stinking for so long and bringing them out of that deep hole. At least we had some recent success when Clawson got here, but from a talent standpoint, we were pretty bare last year on the offensive side. Didn't Cutcliffe inherit Thad Lewis? If so, at least he inherited a really good quarterback.

Yeah. He inherited Lewis.

Yeah. He inherited Lewis.

Speaking of Lewis, it makes me think of Phonz coming out of nowhere to intercept his pass in OT in the 2008 game at BB&T. We had already kicked a FG on our OT possession. I watched that ball leave Lewis's hand, he had a receiver wide open in the end zone and for split second I thought it was over and then Phonz comes flying out of nowhere, leaped up and picked it off, game over! That and his 100 yard returned pick 6 against Maryland in the 4th quarter to spark the comeback against them in 2007, were probably my favorite Phonz plays.

Back