• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tennis

20230831_150549-01-01.jpeg

That was a lot of fun, thanks for the recs. I didn't expect it to be as busy as it was. By 1pm most courts reached capacity while there were still thousands just wandering around or eating/drinking. We ended up watching a lot of doubles matches on the smaller courts. Watched Huesler-Dure vs Mayneni-Karatsev then had front row seats for Miralles-Baena vs Krajicek-Dodig sitting next to the Spanish coaches. Very entertaining match. Saw a bit of Isner-Mmoh early on the grandstand but didn't bother to go back. I found the bigger stadiums much less entertaining and the pace sitting courtside on smaller courts was mind blowing. Would have liked to see the Warinka-Etcheverry match on 17 but it got to capacity before it even started. Saw some of Hsu-Norrie then finished front row by the coach/families of Kichenok-Ostapenko vs Gamiz-Tormo which was another fun match.

Isner had to go from losing in 5 sets then play with Sock in doubles almost immediately after. Sock went from that right into his doubles match with Gauff. Cant imagine their legs.

Gojo plays at 6 PM against another qualifier and is -300 to win (the guy is outside the top 400 in the world). If he wins today, he almost certainly gets Djoker in the fourth round

gojo is awesome: https://www.tennismajors.com/us-ope...ring-let-fans-cheer-during-points-709854.html

“I don’t mind the noise. I played college tennis, so for me it’s always – the crazier, the better. I am used to it. I like it when the atmosphere gets a bit tense, because tennis is an extremely boring sport. As a spectator – you have to stay silent… I would change that, look at the other sports. I come watch Hajduk (football team from his hometown) play and I have to stay silent? Come on!”

I never had any incidents with the fans, but there were a lot of heated moments in college, people throwing stuff at you for instance. Once, my teammate wanted to fight, so the police had to prevent things from escalating.”

“I feel tennis is a dying product and that we need more of that. I would change all the rules! Firstly, I would like for ball boys to bring the towels, because I have to walk every time. I would love if the players were allowed a shoulder bump or trash talk, a bit of provocation. We don’t have to fight, but I would like to be able to say something to my opponent. The way things are now – I say something and they call the police instantly, it’s so rigid.”

“Also, I would like for the spectators to be able to walk and talk. Some players have a problem with someone moving in the 77th row of the stands at biggest stadiums. ON outside courts everybody is walking, so what? I would allow for people to come and go as they please, so that they don’t have to wait for two games. I know how it feels from my time as a fan. Furthermore, I don’t see any reason why people shouldn’t cheer during points? OK, it might bother you at some point, but so what?”

"TENNIS!"

Last edited:
Gojo plays at 6 PM against another qualifier and is -300 to win (the guy is outside the top 400 in the world). If he wins today, he almost certainly gets Djoker in the fourth round

his opponent played a 4+ hour match, maybe he will be tired.

also funny from gojo's interview
"My head is burned from the sun, I don’t even know who am I playing next [Jiry Vesely]. In case I do play Novak, it would be an amazing opportunity," he said.

WEAR A HAT MY MAN

View attachment 5228

That was a lot of fun, thanks for the recs. I didn't expect it to be as busy as it was. By 1pm most courts reached capacity while there were still thousands just wandering around or eating/drinking. We ended up watching a lot of doubles matches on the smaller courts. Watched Huesler-Dure vs Mayneni-Karatsev then had front row seats for Miralles-Baena vs Krajicek-Dodig sitting next to the Spanish coaches. Very entertaining match. Saw a bit of Isner-Mmoh early on the grandstand but didn't bother to go back. I found the bigger stadiums much less entertaining and the pace sitting courtside on smaller courts was mind blowing. Would have liked to see the Warinka-Etcheverry match on 17 but it got to capacity before it even started. Saw some of Hsu-Norrie then finished front row by the coach/families of Kichenok-Ostapenko vs Gamiz-Tormo which was another fun match.

Isner had to go from losing in 5 sets then play with Sock in doubles almost immediately after. Sock went from that right into his doubles match with Gauff. Cant imagine their legs.
That's awesome, thanks for the update and picture! I find Ostapenko to be really entertaining, so watching her up close near family and coaches would be super fun.

View attachment 5228

saw a re-tweet complaining about too many grounds pass tickets

perhaps more crowded than usual this year

All three USA men (Shelton, Paul, Tiafoe) who’ve played today are through to the next round!

Just Fritz left to play today.

saw a re-tweet complaining about too many grounds pass tickets

perhaps more crowded than usual this year

I’ve been in 2019 and 2021. It definitely felt way more crowded this year.

The easiest place to notice it more objectively than “it feels crowded” is court 17. In the two previous years I had tickets, I can’t recall 17 being at capacity with lines waiting to get in. This year, it happened multiple times across multiple days.

For my two cents, 17 also happens to be the best place to watch a match. It’s small enough that you can feel the pace and energy of the players, but big enough that you get true crowd energy as well.

Back