• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Terrific crowd at the Joel tonight!

Yea, that place was just dead when Jeff Capel hit that shot in February. Get real.

Haha, yeah they got excited for one shot.

As I wrote earlier, I went to several games that year. I borrowed a student ID and walked into the student section at game time. It was not an intimidating venue, because Duke was terrible. I also talked with many students that year that just had no interest in attending games, even though they were sports fans.

Out of curiosity, when is the last time you were even in the state of NC let alone Cameron?

I've been in NC in about the past ten years.

Cameron hasn't changed. If anything it's more yuppified. Any place that hands out cheat sheets for cheering has ignorant fans. A fan base that needs that is pathetic, has been and will be as long as the practice continues. If you don't when or whom to cheer or boo, you aren't a real fan.

Wakefan77 — I’m not just raising this now. I’ve raised it when we were good and our atmosphere was horrible as well. Good point on BC. Not a big fan base. They are fools for playing in such a big place as well. 600 is pretty rough. I’d like to see a picture of that. They reported 600 for our game against Houston in Lynchburg—I actually counted everyone there and it was like 130.

Yeah I get what you are saying. And I agree with you to some extent. The Joel is too big. The Joel is too big partly because Wake has a smaller fan base/alumni than a lot of schools but the Joel is too big right now because Wake is not very good in hoops. A 10,000 seat arena would suit me just fine but it would still be too big right now because Wake stinks. You ever notice that when Wake is good in basketball and they play Duke/UNC/State there are a lot less of the opposing fans in the seats? I know they still come but you get my point. When Wake sucks, the place is filled with both shitty blues.

My question to you (I think I know the answer;) ) is would the Joel be too big had Tim Duncan and co. won a title? Would it be too big if Dave Odom were still the coach and had won 3 or 4 national titles and had taken Wake to multiple Final Fours? People pull for winners. Who knows how the Joel would be if those things would have happened but I guarantee you that Wake would have picked up some fans along the way. DR I know you are passionate about this subject as am I. The reason I am passionate about it is because I truly believe (please don't laugh) if Wake ever had the right coach, people wouldn't make jokes about Wake Forest basketball anymore. No we don't have the history of Carolina/Duke. But we do have some history.

I've said this before but my 12 year old son who got to experience the Joel when it was rocking and he was a baby before and after Skip passed, obviously doesn't remember the Joel then because he was too young. He is a die hard Deacon fan. He is as passionate as I am about Wake sports. I hope I have not ruined him but that's what we share together. He wants nothing more than to come to the Joel and see a sea of students in the same shirts chanting and raising hell and the place rocking. You can bet your ass if Wake ever returns to those days again in basketball, my son and I will be there.

Last edited:
I appreciate the passion but I’m directly questioning your qualifications. Not because you aren’t smart but because you just haven’t seen it.

1) Allen Fieldhouse v Missouri
2) Iowa State when Kansas comes to town
3) Cole Fieldhouse against Dook
4) Reynolds Coliseum v the Heels
5) MaCArthur Court against UCLA

If you haven’t been to those five, you just don’t get it.

That Presbyterian game winner against UNCG the other night was as exciting as Capel's shot against Duke!

I appreciate the passion but I’m directly questioning your qualifications. Not because you aren’t smart but because you just haven’t seen it.

I agree we need a smaller arena, but not a small arena.

I’ve watched games in 2 of those 5. Also Carmichael (Brad Daugherty era) the Boston Garden (Bird, McHale), and Georgia Tech’s old gym (Tom Hammond). Been to Hinkle, but pretty sure it was for a HS game. Met Press and met Sean Miller and his dad - a phenomenal display of dribbling. Met Valvano, K, Odom and Skip, of course. Saw Duke, been to UVA.

Saw a Furman Paladin home game in 1978-1979 when they were good. That was special.

Been to Palestra, and no chance Iowa State outdoes the Palestra.

Reynolds Coliseum rocked the most, period.

And Cole rocked way more when Lefty took on Dean, than the bullshit concocted ESPN rivalry with Gary v. K.

Duncan’s senior year I sat about 15 rows from the top for every home game. My seats sucked. But the home crowds of that era, and a good portion of Prosser’s era were not disasters. Because we won or we knew we had a great shot to win.

So, I’ll take 10-11 K seats and yes that means some games like Illinois. But, we will be good again...and we’re gonna need those seats again.

Last edited:
These times are a far cry from what I fondly call the Dodge Neon years. I used to be charmingly self-deprecating instead of insufferable.

Anybody who hasn't been to three of these will never fully "get it," sorry folks.

What a steaming pile of elitist crap. And yeah, like Complacent, I've been to two of the venues as well for big games. Doesn't mean I "get it" any more than reasonable people who haven't.

Last edited:
Agree Complacent, Reynolds was the best away venue. Held 12-13,000 I recall. Shame they moved to PNC.

Curious to know if Duke still played to sellout crowds at Cameron toward the end of Gaudet's season filling in for K. I'm talking actual butts in the seats, not inflated attendance numbers.

I loved watching the faces of the Dook students at the games that year. A very pleasant memory.

Cool. I've never been to those venues and yes I'm far from qualified. I'm a non-college educated, factory working Deacon fan who's only college hoops experience has been Wake games at the Joel. Sucks to be me I guess but to say I don't get it is far from the truth. What I keep saying over and over is that the reason this is an issue is because Wake is not winning consistently. Period. Read my post above and the one before that. If Dave Odom produces multiple national titles and Final Fours and is currently the head coach while still winning, attendance in the Joel is not much of a problem. Do you not agree?

If you haven't been to The Palestra for a doubleheader that included a Big 5 game pre-Nova's first NCAA title, you don't get it. Perfect acoustics, 9000 real fans. What you didn't want to be was the non-Big 5 team in the opener. All three fan groups from the Philly teams would join together to blast the roof off.

The coolest things at The Palestra were how all five schools would band as a unit against outsiders. Then, they'd go nuts for their individual schools during the Big 5 game. Once the buzzer sounded, many of the players and fans of the Big 5 game would go out together.

They would have hated each other all week and during the game. But once it's over. It's over. You don't that many, if any, other places.

There are some great college football and basketball games today, but the best atmosphere in college sports tonight will be in Spry Stadium. #1 Wake vs #3 Stanford, a true rivalry after the past two years, with the winner going to the college cup. The crowd is going to be large and crazy.

How come #1 plays #3 in the Elite 8? That makes no sense.

Back