• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Texas To ACC?

I would love to have Texas in the ACC, only because expansion is inevitable, and if the ACC doesn't get Texas, it will just get a bunch of eastern BB schools and cease to have any relevance in football.

The conference needs to stay in the cash cow that is football.

Yeah I'd love this too. Trips to Austin would be awesome

Last year I worked out four 16-team BCS conferences which pretty much ended up being BigEast/ACC, SEC/ACC/BigXII, BigTen/BigXII, Pac10/BigXII mixes.

Seems like that's where we're headed...would be interesting.

I told her that Nebraska is in the plains, not the Midwest

Meanwhile they'd say they were from the midwest, and most of the BIG is from the Great Lakes.

Those two groups disagree vehemently on who is the "midwest". According to the US Census they are both part of the same geographic area defined as the "midwest", but they don't see it that way ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midwestern_United_States ).

Last year I worked out four 16-team BCS conferences which pretty much ended up being BigEast/ACC, SEC/ACC/BigXII, BigTen/BigXII, Pac10/BigXII mixes.

Seems like that's where we're headed...would be interesting.

Yea. It seems inevitable at this point. Swofford should really just call up his 4 favorite BE schools and hammer this thing out right effing now. Let's get him in here in time for 2012. Why wait, we all know what's coming.

I do not want much better teams I want teams we have a chance at beating in football every year.

Same here.
Financially and culturally, we have no business trying to compete with schools like Texas in football. Not saying we can't (though on a consistent basis I don't know if that's realistic), but at some point you have to figure out what your mission is as a university and if "big time college football" (which is getting closer to quasi-professional every year) is what we are about, or even want to be about.

I also see it shaking down to a group of 4 super conferences of 16 teams each. What troubles me is that the ACC is just going to wait and see what happens to the Big 12 before they do anything. With Maryland possibly going to the Big Ten, FSU, Virginia Tech and/or Miami maybe to the SEC, the ACC is going to be struggling to get to 16 relevant teams.
I've also got a gut feeling that Texas goes independent as well....

Texas is only using the ACC thing to pressure the Pac 12 to let them keep $$$ from the Longhorn Network. It will never join the ACC any more than Notre Dame will.

But the ACC will most def be in the market to add Syracuse, UCONN and Rutgers, and maybe Pitt or Villanova (assuming an upgrade to Div. 1 football). The ACC needs to do this to be one of the surviving superconferences.

Crazy but it is all driven by the $$$.

You can take a trip wo Austin whenever you want already and not have to see the Deacs get creamed.

lol. "you must spread some reputation around before giving reputation to heavypetter again."

go and enjoy SXSW, don't go and be depressed after a 50 point slaughter.

Lost in most of the talk is Pittsburgh. The Panthers have a solid tv market and would be a strong addition to the ACC.

It won't be long before Pitt, UConn, Syracuse and West Virginia are in the ACC.

It won't be long before Pitt, UConn, Syracuse and West Virginia are in the ACC.

Substitute Rutgers for WVU and you're probably right. It's all about the TV markets.

A wild card is Pitt, which is the most likely candidate to go to the Big 10, along with Missouri (and this assumes Maryland does not go to the Big 10).

I hope for our sake, the ACC is moving quickly to add teams to be one of the conferences left standing.

Four divisions:

North: Cuse, BC, Pitt, UConn
Mid-Atlantic: Maryland, UVA, VT, WV
Carolina: UNC, State, Duke, Wake
South: GT, Clemson, FSU, Miami

In football you play your own division every year and rotate among the other teams. I know the divisions aren't balanced, but I don't care.

In Basketball you play home and home with your division, and everyone else once for an 18 game schedule.

I hope for our sake, the ACC is moving quickly to add teams to be one of the conferences left standing.

Four divisions:

In football you play your own division every year and rotate among the other teams. I know the divisions aren't balanced, but I don't care.

In Basketball you play home and home with your division, and everyone else once for an 18 game schedule.

From a basketball perspective this would be awesone. You get the big four back together again. And the added benefit of the Cuse/UConn rivalry.

Four divisions:

Does anyone have faith Swofford will get something like this done? I think it would be awesome and would love if it played out like that. But I don't have much faith in the folks running the ACC.

Four divisions:

There's no way any of the North/MA/Carolina schools would go for that. No regular football games in either Georgia or Florida? That would be BRUTAL for recruiting. Not a chance that ever happens.

Back