• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Texas To ACC?

I hope for our sake, the ACC is moving quickly to add teams to be one of the conferences left standing.

Four divisions:

North: Cuse, BC, Pitt, UConn
Mid-Atlantic: Maryland, UVA, VT, WV
Carolina: UNC, State, Duke, Wake
South: GT, Clemson, FSU, Miami

In football you play your own division every year and rotate among the other teams. I know the divisions aren't balanced, but I don't care.

In Basketball you play home and home with your division, and everyone else once for an 18 game schedule.

Actually, at least the way things are right now, they are pretty balanced.
The North and Carolina divisions are strong in bball and the Mid-Atlantic and South are strong in football. The best teams should play each other regularly.

I hope for our sake, the ACC is moving quickly to add teams to be one of the conferences left standing.

Four divisions:

In football you play your own division every year and rotate among the other teams. I know the divisions aren't balanced, but I don't care.

In Basketball you play home and home with your division, and everyone else once for an 18 game schedule.

How do you do the football championship? 4 team ACC playoff?

How do you do the football championship? 4 team ACC playoff?

As it currently stands, four divisions in football would never work - you'd have to have two divisions with a championship game or you'd need the NCAA to pass a provision allowing conferences with 16 teams to have a mini-playoff. A more traditional North-South split would be better, as it would create a situation where you play the other 7 schools in your division every year and then two protected rivalry games (assuming that the conference would go to 9 games, which is almost a must at this point)

There's no way any of the North/MA/Carolina schools would go for that. No regular football games in either Georgia or Florida? That would be BRUTAL for recruiting. Not a chance that ever happens.

Tweak it a tiny bit then.

Go to a 9 game conference schedule and pull an NFL move. You play your entire division (3 games), play another entire division (4 games) and play the team that finished in the same place as you last season in the other two divisions (2 games).

Every team plays each other no more than three years apart, allows teams to play a southern team yearly and makes some geographic sense.

Only major issues are that it's unbalanced, and some teams have 4 home games, others 5 (the same issue the Pac-10 faced in its existence).

The more I think about it, the more that I'm starting to suspect that Texas is going to simply stand pat, let everyone else play their cards, then they'll re-shape the Big XII in whatever image that they want. Oklahoma, Ok St, Mizzu, Kansas, and Kansas St will all probably be able to find a new conference when this all shakes out, and Texas Tech and Baylor will likely do whatever Texas does, but Iowa State is probably going to get screwed over in all of this.

I could realistically see a Big XII after everything that looks as follows:
Texas
Texas Tech
Baylor
Rice
Houston
SMU
TCU
UTEP
Tulsa
New Mexico
Air Force
BYU

Same here.
Financially and culturally, we have no business trying to compete with schools like Texas in football. Not saying we can't (though on a consistent basis I don't know if that's realistic), but at some point you have to figure out what your mission is as a university and if "big time college football" (which is getting closer to quasi-professional every year) is what we are about, or even want to be about.

it's not and it can't ever be what WF is about unless we want to sacrifice most of the things the university has always stood for. there is an inverse relationship between football schools and high academics and integrity for the most part.

I think the future of a 16 team, 4 conference set up could be de facto 16 team playoff that includes 4-team playoffs within the conference before exams and a Final Four on New Year's Day with a championship game at the same time as now.

I think the 4 team pods with rotating matchups has a future becuase it keeps traditional rivalries and expands rivalries in an efficient manner.

So take Kitchin's 4 divisions:

One season, the North/Mid-Atlantic are an 8 team division and the Carolina/South are the other. Then it switches. Add in one random other cross-division game or establish 3 permanent out of pod rivalries (I'd prefer Tech, BC, and UVa for Wake) and have a 9 game schedule.

The more I think about it, the more that I'm starting to suspect that Texas is going to simply stand pat, let everyone else play their cards, then they'll re-shape the Big XII in whatever image that they want. Oklahoma, Ok St, Mizzu, Kansas, and Kansas St will all probably be able to find a new conference when this all shakes out, and Texas Tech and Baylor will likely do whatever Texas does, but Iowa State is probably going to get screwed over in all of this.

I could realistically see a Big XII after everything that looks as follows:
Texas
Texas Tech
Baylor
Rice
Houston
SMU
TCU
UTEP
Tulsa
New Mexico
Air Force
BYU

That would be a joke of a conference, but Texas might want that as long as they can keep BCS conference status. Good luck complaining to voters though when one loss teams are ahead of you in the polls after dusting through your own schedule unbeaten.

I think it's gonna be independence for Texas. Maybe the PAC 12, but Scott looks unwilling to budge off the network thing. If Texas takes the PAC 12, it'll be them, Taco Tech, OU, and OSU. If not, look for OU, OSU, KU, and a 4th team TBD...maybe Mizzou...maybe TT...maybe KSU.

That would be a joke of a conference, but Texas might want that as long as they can keep BCS conference status. Good luck complaining to voters though when one loss teams are ahead of you in the polls after dusting through your own schedule unbeaten.

I think it's gonna be independence for Texas. Maybe the PAC 12, but Scott looks unwilling to budge off the network thing. If Texas takes the PAC 12, it'll be them, Taco Tech, OU, and OSU. If not, look for OU, OSU, KU, and a 4th team TBD...maybe Mizzou...maybe TT...maybe KSU.

I don't think Texas will care about whether the conference is a joke or not if they can keep their TLN money and still get an outside shot at the BCS (and that's one reason that adding BYU makes sense, since BYU wants to be able to do the same thing with their own network). If the quality of opponents is a question they can certainly upgrade by keeping out a Texas schools and including a Boise St. Ideally Texas would keep as much of the existing Big XII in place and add the best pieces of the CUSA West, Mountain West, and the WAC in terms of both market and competition.

I think BYU has kind of blown off the BXII. If the BXII could add Boise, BYU, and somebody else that doesn't suck and isn't in the state of Texas, it might be worth salvaging.

I don't think Texas will care about whether the conference is a joke or not if they can keep their TLN money and still get an outside shot at the BCS (and that's one reason that adding BYU makes sense, since BYU wants to be able to do the same thing with their own network). If the quality of opponents is a question they can certainly upgrade by keeping out a Texas schools and including a Boise St. Ideally Texas would keep as much of the existing Big XII in place and add the best pieces of the CUSA West, Mountain West, and the WAC in terms of both market and competition.

Agreed. Take out Tulsa, add Boise St

Would the ACC ever bite the bullet and add ECU? Maybe include S Florida, UConn and Syracuse on top of that? I know that ECU's academics is a little lower than what the ACC wants, but who are we kidding. This isn't about education at all.

I think when the dominoes start to fall, there will be major changes. I am hoping for the ACC to read the writing on the wall and proactively add schools.
The ACC will be lucky if no schools are poached. I think they need to look into Syracuse, UConn, and/or a couple of teams to bolster our standing.

The Pac-12, Big TenElevenTwelve, and the SEC are going to pick the teams they want. The ACC can be that fourth conference to remain standing, rather than the Big 12 or the Big East.

and I got a gut feeling that Texas will be independent. They have that TV contract in place. It would be a step backwards going to the Pac-12.

Would the ACC ever bite the bullet and add ECU? Maybe include S Florida, UConn and Syracuse on top of that? I know that ECU's academics is a little lower than what the ACC wants, but who are we kidding. This isn't about education at all.

ECU's sports are a little lower than what the ACC wants, too.

No split of the divisions would work that doesn't have Maryland and Duke playing twice a year, as that is the biggest basketball rivalry in the ACC...

ECU's sports are a little lower than what the ACC wants, too.

Back in the 90s, their athletics were worth mentioning but they have really fallen off the path in football recently as well. I just don't see this happening. Maybe they can get into the Big East though.

No split of the divisions would work that doesn't have Maryland and Duke playing twice a year, as that is the biggest basketball rivalry in the ACC...

Ummm. Duke vs UNC.... That's only one of the top 5 rivalries in all of sports according to ESPN. Like em or not it's a huge TV game and is important for the conference.

Sarcasm.

That said, if there was an ACC that had UNC, Duke, Maryland, and UConn, you bet ESPN would make sure they all played each other twice a year.

Back