• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

That thing that never happens is happening again...

Sgt Hulka

Board Big Toe
Reaction score
http://www.nationalreview.com/article/375021/dems-voter-fraud-denial-john-fund

"Kim Strach, the new director of North Carolina’s Board of Elections, disagrees. She just searched a database that comprises about half the registered voters in the U.S. and found 35,750 voters in her state whose first and last names and full date of birth match with someone in another state who also voted in the 2012 election."

I knew this would get posted here. Saw this earlier. Pretty large numbers all things considered.

Sounds like this is trumped up.

BUT, in the US there are nearly 47,000 people named John Smith. It's logical to think there are many born the same day.

How would voter ID address this issue?

How would voter ID address this issue?

If it's good enough to gain entry to foreign countries and then return to U.S. soil, it's probably good enough to reduce any strange issues with voting irregularity.

1. Every specific incident mentioned in the National Review article was either (a) an absentee voting scam or (b) an act of fraud by an elections official. I completely agree that we should crack down on absentee voting fraud. Strangely, the Republicans running the show in NC disagree and want to make it easier. (b) is already a crime and gets punished fairly harshly when discovered.
2. Here is more comprehensive discussion of the NC situation. http://www.wral.com/state-elections-officials-seek-tighter-security/13533579/ I don't understand the import of this database search that shows some NC voters have the same names and birthdates as voters enrolled in other states. The mere fact that 35,000 people have doppelgangers in other states doesn't mean much without context, and it certainly doesn't mean that 35,000 people committed felony voter fraud in NC (which is the conclusion the Republican running the committee immediately jumped to, naturally). If 5,000 (or even 500 or 50) of them were all the same name and same birthdate, that might mean something sinister. Just the fact that there are 35,000 one-to-one matches does not necessarily mean anything. In a country of 300,000,000 + people there are bound to be a lot of matches of this kind.

To see what I mean - just search your name on facebook. I just did a search for my first and last name on Facebook and it came back with more than 1,000 hits. My name is not all that common or uncommon, I bet a guy named Smith or Jones would get multiples of the hits. I scrolled down the list a bit and just from the photos, most of those dudes are within 10 years of being my age. That's just dudes on Facebook. Furthermore, I googled "number of babies born in [my birth year]" and divided by 365 - there were more than 8,000 kids born on the same day as me. The chances of there being a registered voter with my name and birthdate somewhere in this country outside NC are pretty good.

I'm in favor of IDs for voting but no system is infallible. Whatever system is put in place requiring ID, whether it's driving or flying or buying beer or voting, will always have ways to get around it. It's nothing new but people need to ask what goal they're hoping for with IDs. To say it would reduce the incidence of fraud is logical and certainly reasonable.

1. Every specific incident mentioned in the National Review article was either (a) an absentee voting scam or (b) an act of fraud by an elections official. I completely agree that we should crack down on absentee voting fraud. Strangely, the Republicans running the show in NC disagree and want to make it easier. (b) is already a crime and gets punished fairly harshly when discovered.
2. Here is more comprehensive discussion of the NC situation. http://www.wral.com/state-elections-officials-seek-tighter-security/13533579/ I don't understand the import of this database search that shows some NC voters have the same names and birthdates as voters enrolled in other states. The mere fact that 35,000 people have doppelgangers in other states doesn't mean much without context, and it certainly doesn't mean that 35,000 people committed felony voter fraud in NC (which is the conclusion the Republican running the committee immediately jumped to, naturally). If 5,000 (or even 500 or 50) of them were all the same name and same birthdate, that might mean something sinister. Just the fact that there are 35,000 one-to-one matches does not necessarily mean anything. In a country of 300,000,000 + people there are bound to be a lot of matches of this kind.

To see what I mean - just search your name on facebook. I just did a search for my first and last name on Facebook and it came back with more than 1,000 hits. My name is not all that common or uncommon, I bet a guy named Smith or Jones would get multiples of the hits. I scrolled down the list a bit and just from the photos, most of those dudes are within 10 years of being my age. That's just dudes on Facebook. Furthermore, I googled "number of babies born in [my birth year]" and divided by 365 - there were more than 8,000 kids born on the same day as me. The chances of there being a registered voter with my name and birthdate somewhere in this country outside NC are pretty good.

I showed there are nearly 47,000 people in the US named John Smith.

I'll never stop enjoying watching this poster destroy weak shit like this thread topic with with power of a jackhammer and the grace of an old country gentleman.

Man, I got 192. The joys of being named Harris J. Friedlander I guess.

Actually "There are 1 or fewer people in the U.S. named Rick Karl....." :)

What a shock! I am unique.

So my last name is Black, there are lots of me. Anyway, where it lists "famous people with that last name" there is 1 Sirius Black in the US.

There used to be a Charity Muff and a Delicious Bush.

I just posted this as a rebuttal to the "it never happens" folks; not as a pimping of voter ID (although I don't think that is a bad thing). And FWIW, I think that absentee ballots are just as abused as other voter fraud cases.

Another thing about voter suppression (and as it relates to Ohio reducing the number of early voting days from 35-28).

In Dem controlled states like Connecticut, NY, etc. there is NO early voting (with rare exception), yet the dems are not up in arms about voter suppression because they generally win those states.

http://www.longdistancevoter.org/early_voting_rules
CONNECTICUT

No. In-person early voting is not allowed.

MICHIGAN

NEW JERSEY

NEW YORK

Yes, but you'll need to provide a valid excuse. Valid excuses are the same as those for by-mail absentee voting. You may vote early if you are:

unavoidably absent from your county on election day
unable to appear at the polls due to illness or disability
a patient in a Veterans’ Administration Hospital
detained in jail awaiting Grand Jury action or confined in prison after conviction for an offense other than a felony

OREGON

No. Not applicable - Oregon is by-mail voting only.

Please draw your own conclusions.

check this out

http://howmanyofme.com/search/

You can search "how many of me" there are in the US. There are 874 of me. 45,961 John Smiths. But only 3 Rick Karls. And only 1 Jeff [name redacted] so if that fucker voted twice in 2012 I hope they put him in jail.

Website says there are two of me, but I know of at least 3 of us just in the city I live in. And all of us are in the military.

Back