• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The 100 Best Films of the 1990's (Slant Magazine)

WakeFanatic

Reaction score
Slant put together a really comprehensive list of the 100 best films of the 90's. A terrific list in my opinion, tons of great movies. Though I'm sure many on here will disagree with the top 2 :)

LINK

No Jurassic Park or Braveheart is complete and utter bullshit.

I can't believe they didn't include them two.

Yea that list is crap. No Shawshank. Saving Private Ryan. Was Schindler's list on there. American History X. Toy Story or Lion King.Clerks. Silence of the Lambs. Reservoir Dogs.

Y'all are taking this too seriously. Slate's entire raison d'être is to troll. Most of their articles are stuff like, "Blowjobs are overrated."

Y'all are taking this too seriously. Slate's entire raison d'être is to troll. Most of their articles are stuff like, "Blowjobs are overrated."

Perhaps you meant Slant, instead of Slate, but I think Slant is much better than that. No, their opinions and writings don't fall in line with popular opinion, but all these guys writing are film theorists and come at film from a different perspective than the average movie watcher. I think this list is terrific, and there are countless movies on here that most people probably haven't seen that I think they would really enjoy.

Hey-oh, my bad, saw the "sla", clicked the link and saw a bunch of foreign films, Eyes Wide Shut and Thin Red Line and just assumed it was another classic Slate troll job.

It got better as the list went on, but at the beginning there were so many movies I've never heard of or were entirely foreign made which just led to me having never heard of them.

I really don't get film critics...

Is this guy on some new hipster drugs? Eyes Wide Shut was terrible. One of the few movies of the 90s that was worse was Showgirls. Each was in his Top 20.

Stay away from whatever that was smoking or snorting.

Is this guy on some new hipster drugs? Eyes Wide Shut was terrible. One of the few movies of the 90s that was worse was Showgirls. Each was in his Top 20.

Stay away from whatever that was smoking or snorting.

It's written by a group of people, not just one person

That makes it worse. It shows that group has no clue.

From a person who watches movies like it's my 2nd job, that list is out of touch and sucks. Glad to see a couple of liberal arts douchebags who took a couple of film classes could fill a vague list with a bunch of art house flicks that nobody gives a shit about. Obscurity does not equal value.

Last edited:
From a person who watches movies like it's my 2nd job, that list is out of touch and sucks. Glad to see a couple of liberal arts douchebags who took a couple of film classes could fill a vague list with a bunch of art house flicks that nobody gives a shit about. Obscurity does not equal value.

No one knows about Starship Troopers (at #20)???! Fucking awesome movie.

The Last Days of Disco?

We rented that and it was absolutely dreadful.

I dug it, great list. Some obvious wtf curveballs that spice it up, but there are quite a few "main-stream" movies thrown in there (I mean, Groundhog Day is in there -- that's fucking awesome). Just because you haven't heard of it doesn't mean it is illegitimate, and they aren't criticizing your taste in any way. I think it's funny when people seem to take these things personally.

I loved seeing Bitter Moon and Husbands and Wives on there.

But I also actually really liked Eyes Wide Shut and Thin Red Line, though neither would have been near my top two I don't think.

Back