• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The 100 Best Films of the 1990's (Slant Magazine)

I mean, I don't think Showgirls should either, but I still enjoyed the list.

When your #2 movie sucks and your #1 movie rarely reaches anyone else's Top 15, your list flawed. Much of the rest of the Top 10 is about how eclectically cool they want to be.

I'm with El Chupe. I think it's pretty well established that the best American movies of the 90s will include the Tarantino films, the Coen Bros films, Goodfellas, Rushmore, Boogie Nights, Schindler's List, LA Confidential, Toy Story, and Hoop Dreams. BORING. So basically if you want to make a list that anyone will want to click on and discuss, you need to mix in some unorthodox choices. For this site, they tossed in a billion foreign films (most of which I haven't seen and am in no position to criticize), every David Lynch & David Cronenberg movie, some little seen indies (Last Days of Disco - nice little movie, but please), and random picks like Showgirls. Voila, the list has a thread devoted to it on the Wake Forest Sports message board. Mission accomplished. Nothing to get worked up about.

Last edited:
Lol one of my boys writes for Slate. Wonder if he contributed to the list.

For every list like this, I mainly just look to see if they included any underrated movie that I like. This one had Babe 2: Pig in the City. The AV Club list last month had Out of Sight in the top 10. I love those movies.

Lol one of my boys writes for Slate. Wonder if he contributed to the list.

Lol yup he does. Has multiple writeups, looks like. Unsurprised he wrote up the Godard flicks too.

Different doesn't necessarily mean good. It would be different to wear a KKK robe/hood in Bed-Stuy. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be a good idea.

Showgirls is on most Ten Worst Movies of the 90s lists. Eyes Wide Shut is as well.

Safe is another movie that most critics didn't like very much and "citizen reviewers" didn't like much either.

Different doesn't necessarily mean good. It would be different to wear a KKK robe/hood in Bed-Stuy. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be a good idea.

Showgirls is on most Ten Worst Movies of the 90s lists. Eyes Wide Shut is as well.

Safe is another movie that most critics didn't like very much and "citizen reviewers" didn't like much either.

Yeah, but I think this is more like a black guy walking around with a rebel flag lapel pin, being ironic.

Oh snap, my bad guys, I actually haven't seen Husbands and Wives -- I was thinking Crimes and Misdemeanors. My b, my b.

Starship Troopers at 20 are you kidding me? Where are Forrest Gump, Saving Private Ryan, Legends of the Fall and Tombstone? Shawshank Redemption not being on there is unforgivable.

Eyes Wide Shut is a masterpiece, plain and simple. Show me a "Worst Movies of the 90's List" that has it on it and makes a legitimate case for why it is bad. Anytime the general public absolutely loathes a movie that usually means it has something to it, some sort of undercurrent that people find upsetting, and that hits too close to home. The scene late in the movie that takes place in the shopping mall is one of the great scenes of the past 20 years.

Starship Troopers at 20 are you kidding me? Where are Forrest Gump, Saving Private Ryan, Legends of the Fall and Tombstone? Shawshank Redemption not being on there is unforgivable.
Not to be a dick, but all these movies are hokey as shit, and pretty damn bad. I believe most people on that site really hate Shawshank Redemption.

I hated Eyes Wide Shut the first time I saw it, but like everything Kubrick, subsequent viewings make me appreciate it more and more.

Side note: My brother just had an article published on the site. Here's a link to it. And yes, I am whoring out myself so I can get my bro more clicks on his article.

I befriended Jordan Cronk when he was a writer at cokemachineglow, and I used to send him emails critiquing his writing style and we struck up a friendship. He is probably "pretentious" by this board's standards, but he is a tremendous writer. Like this list and like him.

Not to be a dick, but all these movies are hokey as shit, and pretty damn bad. I believe most people on that site really hate Shawshank Redemption.

I like Heat a lot, but I know people that think the movie is completely ridiculous. I will give you Forrest Gump, but would totally disagree with you on Legends of the Fall and Tombstone.

Back