• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The 2012 Official MLB Baseball Thread (Mother's basement edition)

avalon, you can break out your shirzee now

Matt Gelb ‏@magelb
Domonic Brown has been scratched from triple-A Lehigh Valley's lineup for noon game. He'll be coming up.

Has MLBTR's mobile page really been done for about a week or did my phone bookmark just magically stop working?

What have you done with RJKarl? RJKarl would never cite a statistic that is not RBIs for position players or W's for pitchers.

OPS is reasonable....for longer than you have been alive I've said OBP is more indicative than BA. Now WAR is a parlor game and RBI are important (some guys just have a knack wherever they play). BA RISP has always been important, but some of the other new ones not so much.

Done - Phils get Lindblom and Ethan Martin

Seems like a solid return, Martin was a 1st round pick in 2008 and has decent numbers this year in AA

Seeing people mention Cubs are asking for Olt from the Rangers for Garza. Would have to imagine Vitters would be included. That would be awesome.

Seeing people mention Cubs are asking for Olt from the Rangers for Garza. Would have to imagine Vitters would be included. That would be awesome.

Zippy chance the cubs will get Olt for Garza. I saw Olney tweeted something that a team better have confidence in their docs abilities to read an MRI, if they trade for Garza.

So the Phillies traded Victorino to the Dodgers to convince the Giants they needed to trade for Pence? That's awfully sneaky. Seems like they should've gotten more than a middle reliever and a 23 year old AA pitcher who can't throw strikes, though.

So the Phillies traded Victorino to the Dodgers to convince the Giants they needed to trade for Pence? That's awfully sneaky. Seems like they should've gotten more than a middle reliever and a 23 year old AA pitcher who can't throw strikes, though.

Was just reading up on Martin - supposedly he is getting it together and more of a Marmol type, high K rate, high BB rate. You should let him work with Ryno and the Lehigh Valley ManBearPigs - Ryno can cure all ills.

You got a 1b/C named Tommy Joseph - BP has him rated as their 4th best prospect in the giants system

Also, thank god this charade is over - good news is we probably got less than nothing out of it

JIM BOWDEN ‏@JimBowdenESPNxm
Dodgers getting Dempster.....final dotting of i's and crossing of t's being worked on......

Gary Brown or Tommy Joseph perhaps for Pence. Id like to get belt somehow, but I live in a world where there is no concept of prospect value.

From BP

2. Tommy Joseph, San Francisco Giants
Tommy Joseph isn't a blue-chip prospect, and for that reason, he'll likely stand out from the other prospects selected by the Baseball Prospectus crew for inclusion in this week's Lineup Card article. Joseph failed to land on our very own Kevin Goldstein's Top 101 Prospects list. Kevin wasn't the only prospect guru to exclude Joseph from his top prospect rankings, as he also missed Baseball America's Top 100 Prospects list and didn't make the cut for Keith Law's Top 100 Prospects list, either. That's not to say he's a bad prospect; he landed at fifth on the Giants Top 11 here at BP, Baseball America ranked him second in the organization in the 2012 Prospect Handbook, John Sickels of Minor League Ball ranked him third amongst Giants prospects back in January, and Jason Parks ranked him as the third-best Giants prospect in his running What Could Go Wrong in 2012 series.

I chose Joseph as the prospect that most interested me in the minors for a few reasons, the first being that he's a Giant, and as a fan of the team, that makes him stand out a bit from the pack. I also chose him because he's a unique prospect to the organization. The Giants are often lauded for their ability to develop power arms, and for good reason, given their recent track record. They haven't been able to develop that same type of firepower for the lineup. That's not to say they haven't developed quality hitters—Pablo Sandoval and Buster Posey are doing just fine thank you—but they haven't developed a true masher in quite some time. One possible, if not probable, contributing factor is their choosing not to spend many picks in the first couple of rounds of the draft over the last decade on a player that projects to be a slugger. In fact, one could argue Joseph is the only player they've spent that high a pick on in the last decade with that profile.

With the days of multiple 50-home-run hitters a season a thing of the past, power is at a premium to a certain extent, and the Giants’ ability to develop Joseph could yield a cost-controlled bopper. As Kevin and Jason discussed on a recent Up and In Podcast (Episode 95), it is highly unlikely everything will come together and result in a middle-of-the-order bat, and a more likely projection is that of a low-average power hitter that slots sixth in a lineup. That shouldn't be read as a slight, as few prospects do have it all come together, and if Joseph hits his more likely projection, Giants fans should be pleased. If his bat hits that projection and he's able to remain behind the plate, all the better, as that's a package most teams would gladly sign up for. His stats aren't anything special this season, but as a 20-year-old in Double-A, they aren't especially troubling, either. I'll be closely monitoring his development and hoping for the best. —Josh Shepardson

Knowing nothing about the guys used in these trades, I just don't know who the Dodgers have left to give. They were a fairly weak system to begin with this year, and they seem to be shipping out people left and right.

Knowing nothing about the guys used in these trades, I just don't know who the Dodgers have left to give. They were a fairly weak system to begin with this year, and they seem to be shipping out people left and right.

Looks like it is Dempster for Juan Uribe and Jerry Hairston Jr.

Back