• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The 2020-21 College Football Thread: Alabama Unleashes Bold Familiar Flavor on CFB !!

Exhibit one. Coaches matter. Danny Manning says Hi.

It really does. Look at Alabama, they were struggling (relative their history) pre-Saban. Look at Clemson, the period between Danny Ford and Dabo, and Dabo comes along and has done what he has done. Look at USC, look at Texas, look at Tennessee a lot of the big-time programs struggle despite having all the resources and every advantage until they find the right guy.

It really does. Look at Alabama, they were struggling (relative their history) pre-Saban. Look at Clemson, the period between Danny Ford and Dabo, and Dabo comes along and has done what he has done. Look at USC, look at Texas, look at Tennessee a lot of the big-time programs struggle despite having all the resources and every advantage until they find the right guy.

John Cooper at tOSU
Brady Hoke at Michigan
John Zook at Florida
Randy Shannon, Al Golden and Mark Richt at Miami
Charlie Weis at Notre Dame
Charlie Strong and maybe Tom Herman at Texas

and, although its college hoop, Matt Doherty at UNC all agree.

While it's easier to coach at some schools versus others, any program can be torpedoed by a crappy coach.

John Cooper at tOSU
Brady Hoke at Michigan
John Zook at Florida
Randy Shannon, Al Golden and Mark Richt at Miami
Charlie Weis at Notre Dame
Charlie Strong and maybe Tom Herman at Texas

and, although its college hoop, Matt Doherty at UNC all agree.

While it's easier to coach at some schools versus others, any program can be torpedoed by a crappy coach.

Don't forget Rich Rod at Michigan as well.

Most of those were good hires who had success at other institutions. It's hard to do what Bowden, Dabo, Saban, Spurrier, Urban, Tressel, and others have done.

I don’t know anybody who doesn’t like Bobby Bowden. Obviously time has shown that winning at FSU wasn’t as easy as he made it out to be.

I met him as a kid a couple of times and he could not have been a nicer guy.

While Cooper may not have lived up to the expectations of tigerswood, he had a six-year stretch where tOSU went 62-12-1 and won the Big Ten three times. And I would also point out that in the 8 prior years under Earle Bruce, the Buckeyes lost at least 3 games every single year.

While Cooper may not have lived up to the expectations of tigerswood, he had a six-year stretch where tOSU went 62-12-1 and won the Big Ten three times. And I would also point out that in the 8 prior years under Earle Bruce, the Buckeyes lost at least 3 games every single year.

tOSU versus Michigan under John Cooper: 2-10-1. Since John Cooper left tOSU: 17-2.

During Cooper's 13 years as tOSU coach, the Buckeyes finished the ranked in the top 10 three times, and in the top 5 twice. In the 19 years since Cooper left, they have finished in the top 10, fifteen times, and in the top 5 thirteen times.

I didn't say he was great, just that he wasn't awful.

The best thing about Kirby Smart is that he beats Florida, Auburn, and Ga Tech on a very consistent basis.

Was raised on Cooper. He was too chill of a dude, and tried to win with talent, primarily defensive talent, alone. Tried to view The Game just like any other regular season matchup, which tOSU fans despised. Made fans love Tressel and Meyer even more re: how much emphasis they placed on beating Michigan.

Yeah, Kirby hates Florida with a passion, which is great.

The UF/UGA rivalry looks ready to heat up over the next few years, as both teams should be top 10 for the foreseeable future.

I'm excited about that.

Trivia question (no cheating through internet searches):

What FBS team currently has the longest winning streak in college football?

Back