• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The 2020-21 College Football Thread: Alabama Unleashes Bold Familiar Flavor on CFB !!

Hopefully Harbaugh will get blamed and Gattis can thrive somewhere else. After Penn State, Bama, and Michigan, I'd like for him to end up at a program I willingly support.

https://sports.yahoo.com/jim-harbaughs-spiral-into-infamy-at-michigan-continues-with-worst-loss-yet-011801124.html

Buddy sent this to me re: Michigan. One of the most damning articles about a college football coach/program I've ever read. Yikes.

The B1G needs Michigan to be better, and college football is better overall when Michigan is good. OSU/Michigan has gone from the greatest rivalry in all of sports (in my biased opinion) to almost an afterthought for non-affiliated college football/sports fans.

I never have liked the notion that this team or that team needs to be good for the sport. Why does Michigan need to be good, college football has seemed to do just fine since Michigan hasn't been great. Same goes for the period of time Alabama wasn't that good or when Notre Dame wasn't that good or when USC wasn't that good, was good again and then wasn't good again. Did college football suffer when Ohio State went through a down period?

I'm fine with Michigan football sucking. Saying college football is better when Michigan is good is almost as bad as saying the college basketball is good when UNC or Duke are good.

UNC sucked last year, and I loved it. Whenever UNC or Duke sucks, college basketball is better IMO.

When a traditional football power struggles and their self entitled fanbase gets to feel like 90% of the other college football fanbases feel, that is always a good thing.

Sounds like Harbaugh is headed to the NFL.

I never have liked the notion that this team or that team needs to be good for the sport. Why does Michigan need to be good, college football has seemed to do just fine since Michigan hasn't been great. Same goes for the period of time Alabama wasn't that good or when Notre Dame wasn't that good or when USC wasn't that good, was good again and then wasn't good again. Did college football suffer when Ohio State went through a down period?

IMO, it's mostly about the rivalries. I love good rivalry matchups. Alabama/Auburn and Alabama/LSU have been MUCH more intriguing than The Game in recent years. Hell, OSU/PSU has as well.

I also miss USC/UCLA, Miami/FSU, FSU/Florida, Pitt/WVU, among others being big/meaningful games most years.

And yes, the casual college football fan is going to pay a lot more attention if tOSU or Michigan is good and winning the B1G than if Northwestern (for example) randomly has a good year and makes the Rose Bowl (who remembers this happened in 1995?).

The 2020 College Football Thread: Football has a Bold New Flavor !!!!!!!!

Imagine being a Wake fan and posting on a Wake message board that college football is better when the big time programs dominate and it sucks when the lesser programs make a major bowl.

Last edited:
Imagine being a tOSU fan and posting on a Wake message board that college football is better when the big time programs dominate and it sucks when the less programs make a major bowl.

Fixed.

IMO, it's mostly about the rivalries. I love good rivalry matchups. Alabama/Auburn and Alabama/LSU have been MUCH more intriguing than The Game in recent years. Hell, OSU/PSU has as well.

I also miss USC/UCLA, Miami/FSU, FSU/Florida, Pitt/WVU, among others being big/meaningful games most years.

And yes, the casual college football fan is going to pay a lot more attention if tOSU or Michigan is good and winning the B1G than if Northwestern (for example) randomly has a good year and makes the Rose Bowl (who remembers this happened in 1995?).

Actually I remember that very well. It was probably one of the Rose Bowl games I was most interested in outside of the Natty title games, because Northwestern was such a good story that year. Now, I understand I'm speaking for myself and may be in the minority, but that's how I felt.

Interesting conversation I heard on the radio this morning that BYU and Cincinnati should schedule a game against each other to position the winner for a potential playoff spot. Plenty could still go wrong and they could be denied, but both teams look to be cruising toward undefeated seasons against a bunch of bad opponents, followed by being shut out of the playoff.

Interesting conversation I heard on the radio this morning that BYU and Cincinnati should schedule a game against each other to position the winner for a potential playoff spot. Plenty could still go wrong and they could be denied, but both teams look to be cruising toward undefeated seasons against a bunch of bad opponents, followed by being shut out of the playoff.

I like that idea, but could Cincy do it, since they're playing in a conference that has a title game? It would be great for BYU, I think they're only playing 8 games this year against mostly poor competition.

Would make sense and would put pressure on the selection committee. BYU could be really good, but they play nobody.

Actually I remember that very well. It was probably one of the Rose Bowl games I was most interested in outside of the Natty title games, because Northwestern was such a good story that year. Now, I understand I'm speaking for myself and may be in the minority, but that's how I felt.

Not to mention Wake beat Northwestern in Winston the next two years after their Rose Bowl appearance.

I love when smaller programs succeed. And I typically almost always pull for teams to upset the blue blood programs. However, when those programs have prolonged periods of national irrelevance, I don't think it's as good for the sport. I'd like there to be 10-15 programs with a realistic shot at a national championship each year. That number seems to be shrinking more and more (and is 3 this year, IMO). Aren't y'all tired of almost the same playoffs every year?

Not to mention Wake beat Northwestern in Winston the next two years after their Rose Bowl appearance.

2 of Caldwell's best wins probably.

I think it was the first win over Northwestern that the fieldhouse was being rebuilt and the players excited the field through the parking lot and I remember slapping guys on the back after that win. Didn't Desmond Clark make a catch in the corner of the endzone to win it?

Last edited:
I like that idea, but could Cincy do it, since they're playing in a conference that has a title game? It would be great for BYU, I think they're only playing 8 games this year against mostly poor competition.

AAC could play its championship game on 12/12 and BYU & UC could play on 12/19, which is the date of the other championship games.

Texas A&M was also included in this dscussion, as they could wind up 9-1 with their only loss coming at Alabama, but I don't see the SEC allowing an OOC game. They've also got five games left against reasonably decent competition.

Last edited:
2 of Caldwell's best wins probably.

Those were good wins. Think his best win was over #14 Georgia Tech in 1999. That GT team had been in the top 10 for most of the year (they were #14 when WF beat the Jackets); GT beat UGA the next week. The win over GT clinched a Aloha Bowl bid for the Deacs.

I agree. It's the whole BS argument that the ACC is down when FSU or Miami or VT are.

I love when smaller programs succeed. And I typically almost always pull for teams to upset the blue blood programs. However, when those programs have prolonged periods of national irrelevance, I don't think it's as good for the sport. I'd like there to be 10-15 programs with a realistic shot at a national championship each year. That number seems to be shrinking more and more (and is 3 this year, IMO). Aren't y'all tired of almost the same playoffs every year?

Agree that it's great when a non-traditional program breaks through, but seems like that sentiment conflicts with the idea that it has to be another traditional power that breaks through. Would like to see another team, outside of tOSU win the Big 10, it just doesn't have to be Michigan.

Dan Mullen is obviously suffering some sort of mental breakdown due to COVId and his wife making out with all of the players.

Dan Mullen is obviously suffering some sort of mental breakdown because he finally realized that he's Dan Mullen.

Those were good wins. Think his best win was over #14 Georgia Tech in 1999. That GT team had been in the top 10 for most of the year (they were #14 when WF beat the Jackets); GT beat UGA the next week. The win over GT clinched a Aloha Bowl bid for the Deacs.

Agree, that GT win was the best. GT was #14, we were coming off a bad loss at Duke when a win could've got us bowl eligible, that W was a shocker.

Back