• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The 2020-21 College Football Thread: Alabama Unleashes Bold Familiar Flavor on CFB !!

Gators coach Dan Mullen has become Donald Trump of college football | Commentary

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/spor...oga-story.html

The latest Mullen misstep came Saturday night at the end of the first half of a resounding 41-17 victory over Missouri. After Florida quarterback Kyle Trask was hit late after he released a Hail Mary, officials mistakenly did not throw a flag and an enraged Mullen charged across the field toward the Missouri sideline to scream at officials. Mullen (not wearing a face mask, by the way) had to be held back by coaches and law enforcement, escalating a situation that turned into a melee, with multiple players from both teams exchanging blows.

To make matters worse, Mullen actually had the audacity to say that he didn’t think his actions were inappropriate. Fittingly dressed in a Darth Vader costume at his postgame Halloween night news conference, Mullen told reporters, “I was trying to get our players off the field to make sure we didn’t have issues and have a whole bunch of guys suspended.”

Uh, Dan, I don’t know if you realize this, but the game was on television and there were actually cameras recording you and video showing you losing your mind. Why are you simply making up a story that is obviously untrue? It would have been much more acceptable if you had just simply said, “I got emotional and lost my cool momentarily after seeing our quarterback get hit with a cheap shot. I need to do a better job of keeping my composure.”

Mullen got off easy Monday when SEC Commissioner Greg Sankey reprimanded him and fined him a scant $25,000 — the same amount Ole Miss coach Lane Kiffin was fined recently for simply retweeting a critical comment about SEC officials. What Mullen did was much worse and should have merited a much heavier fine; if not a suspension. Of course, with the monumental Florida-Georgia game coming up this weekend, the SEC simply didn’t have the stomach to issue a suspension of UF’s head coach.

Wtf I assume that’s supposed to be a Halloween outfit? He looks like an idiot/lunatic though.

Maybe he's drinking from the same well that caused Jim McElwain to act a little oddly.

I had forgotten that Josh Gattis is the offensive coordinator at Michigan.
He, Harbaugh and the rest of the team are having a tough time.

Purdue at Wisconsin is cancelled. With it's 2nd game cancelled, I think the Badgers (the #2 rated Big 10 team) is on the brink from being eliminated from playing in the Big 10 CG, if any additional games get cancelled (and that would include if opponent is forced to cancel).

At what point do they just give up on Wisconsin and either make it a bye week or move around the schedule so teams get more games?

Don't understand how the Big 10 quarantine rules would not force another cancellation for the Badgers. As I understand the ultra-strict Big 10 COVID rules, positive players must quarantine for 21 days after testing positive. All of Wisconsin positive tests occurred after the Illinois opener; so, all of those players (and any additional players that tested positive)that were out for Nebraska last week and Purdue this week, will still be out next week against Michigan as well.

Purdue, Nebraska, and Northwestern be like:

tenor.gif

Two big games this weekend:

Florida-Georgia game features two top 10 teams. Georgia's defense is banged up. Richard LeCounte is out of the ICU but still in the hospital after a dirt bike accident last weekend. Bennett is ultimately going to have to make some throws or people are going to start screaming at Kirby. Jorts Nation is feeling pretty confident.

Clemson at ND with no Trevor Lawrence for most of the ACC marbles.

COVID's impact on college football seems to be on the rise. The following games set for this weekend have been postponed or canceled:

Purdue at Wisconsin
AF at Army
Tulsa at Navy
FIU at UTEP
LA Tech at N. Texas
L'ville at UVA
Washington at Cal

If the service academies, who largely live in a bubble by their nature, can't avoid COVID postponements, seems hard to fathom that schools with far less in-place restrictions can avoid the same fate.

COVID's impact on college football seems to be on the rise. The following games set for this weekend have been postponed or canceled:

Purdue at Wisconsin
AF at Army
Tulsa at Navy
FIU at UTEP
LA Tech at N. Texas
L'ville at UVA
Washington at Cal

If the service academies, who largely live in a bubble by their nature, can't avoid COVID postponements, seems hard to fathom that schools with far less in-place restrictions can avoid the same fate.

Cal v Washington appeared to be postponed because of 1 positive test. It seems they have very strict contract tracing. If that is the case then there is no way the Pac 12 completes a season.

[insert Breaking Bad half-measures monologue here]

Does a 4-0 USC team get in over an SEC or ACC team that played 11 or 12 games with one loss or even two losses? Wouldn't think so.

The BCS really f'd up when they refused to expand the playoffs this year, like other sports did for the pandemic. If there was ever a year to take each Power V conference champ, the best school from outside the Power V and two at-larges, this was the year with each league having completely unbalanced and different schedules. One of the main arguments for not expanding the playoff was that teams playing too many games. That concern is essentially the window with conferences playing shortened schedules.

Last edited:
Really ? What happens if you have 3 or 4 weeks of playoffs with 8 to 16 teams and a team gets sick ? Forfeit ?

I think it's safer this year to keep it at four teams.

Also, why should a PAC 12 team with four wins against shitty PAC 12 competition be playing in a national championship playoff against teams that played 11 or 12 games ? I really don't think they have any business there with a 7 game schedule to begin with. The biggest possible game of the year in the PAC 12 would be Oregon v USC in the PAC12CG with both teams undefeated at 6-0, and it's unlikely that either team is going to get six games with the way things are starting out there.

Biff,

Trying to throw your Dawgs a bone. They aren’t getting in with a 4 team playoff.

Who cares if a 4-0 PAC 12 team gets a bid? If they suck, they will get waxed in a quarterfinal. Give every conference a chance to show their merit or lack of merit.

Big game tonight for any hope of Wake winning out to make the ACCCG. We need State to pick up a third loss. It’s either Miami tonight or vs. FSU, Cuse, or Tech.

If Miami and Clemson win this weekend, we can win out to make the ACCCG. If not, we need unlikely help.

Miami at NCState. Shootout in Raleigh. Lots of offense.

Back