• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The 2020-21 College Football Thread: Alabama Unleashes Bold Familiar Flavor on CFB !!

Another question revolves around the seedings. If Clemson beats ND, Bama beats Florida and tOSU sneaks in, do Clemson and ND play again in the semis? Would be weird to have ND and Clemson play consecutive games against each other. Then again, it would be messed up to have a tOSU team with 5 wins (against middling Big 10 teams) seeded ahead of another team in the playoff.

Yeah, that's what I suggested a few posts ago. I think the third Clemson/ND game is what you'll get even if tOSU is undefeated, which just shows that they're being judged on an incomplete body of work and given the benefit of the doubt.

Iowa State disqualified itself with loss to Louisiana. Coastal Carolina BEAT Louisiana on the road. Iowa State lost to Louisiana at home, and it wasn't close: 31-14. Coastal will play Louisiana again in the Sun Belt CG. If Coastal wins that game, there simply is no rational basis to rank them below any Big 12 team. The Sun Belt went 3-0 with the 3 road wins against the Big 12. If actual game outcomes are to have any meaning, ranking Iowa State ahead of Coastal Carolina defies any logic.

Clemson or Alabama will beat the living shit out of Ohio State.

Having watched Bama give up 48 to Ole Miss, and 24 to a Stetson Bennett led Georgia, I feel confident that OSU's offense would find a way to score enough points to be competitive with the juggernaut that is Bama.

Iowa State is currently #8. Coastal is #13. While only the top 4 matters, if they are going to rank 25 teams, there should be a rational basis for the placement of teams, no reasonable defense to those rankings.

Why do the computers (FPI, Sagarin, etc) love tOSU so much? Serious question.

I think the best outcome would be for UF to beat Alabama in the SEC Championship and Clemson to beat ND in the ACC Championship... Then those 4 can mix it up in the semis - UF/ND & Bama/Clemson.

Probably won't happen, but it seems like a nice tidy outcome where we can just omit OSU altogether.

Eo0JLi8XYAA9VJJ

One error on this graphic is that Florida should actually have two Top 25 wins (Missouri).

Yeah, that's what I suggested a few posts ago. I think the third Clemson/ND game is what you'll get even if tOSU is undefeated, which just shows that they're being judged on an incomplete body of work and given the benefit of the doubt.

This assumes Clemson beats ND in Charlotte next week, correct? Tigers lose again, and they are out.

This assumes Clemson beats ND in Charlotte next week, correct? Tigers lose again, and they are out.

For sure. With that said, if Florida loses too, I am not sure who should get in. Texas A&M was destroyed by Bama by 28 (and it wasn't that close), and have a narrow home win over Florida just before the Gators went into COVID shutdown. The rest of A&M's resume is not impressive. They beat an awful Vandy team by 5, struggled to beat LSU, Arkansas and Auburn. UGA gave Bama a game for 3 quarters, but they have looked ordinary lately. Iowa State lost to Louisiana by 17 at home. Indiana has been winning with smoke and mirrors. Northwestern's offense is terrible. USC is completely counterfeit, even their fans will admit that. Miami has chance to go 9-1 if they beat UNC, but Clemson drilled them. Really don't know what you do if ND beats Clemson. I would like to see Cincy or Coastal get in if either finishes the season undefeated, but that is not happening.

seems like it would have been the perfect year to trial an expanded playoff pool

I think the best outcome would be for UF to beat Alabama in the SEC Championship and Clemson to beat ND in the ACC Championship... Then those 4 can mix it up in the semis - UF/ND & Bama/Clemson.

Probably won't happen, but it seems like a nice tidy outcome where we can just omit OSU altogether.

Yeah let's just omit the team that's lost one game (in close, controversial fashion) in 2 calendar years.

Vegas has tOSU favored over A&M by 11.5 on a neutral field, FYI. Assuming Florida would be slightly less but similar.

In a season where you don't have non-conference games (or very few), we're all just guessing as to the relative strength of the conferences. It is more than ever a completely subjective analysis as to who are the best 4 teams. Some of that is the eye test and some of that is the inherent bias we have for name programs.

Which is of course why OSU in the top 4 having played only 5 games, and why the SEC has 3 in the top 6 based on wins over only conference opponents.

Back