• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The 2020-21 College Football Thread: Alabama Unleashes Bold Familiar Flavor on CFB !!

Yeah let's just omit the team that's lost one game (in close, controversial fashion) in 2 calendar years.

Vegas has tOSU favored over A&M by 11.5 on a neutral field, FYI. Assuming Florida would be slightly less but similar.

Last year does not matter. LSU was the best team by far last year, but that has nothing to do with this year's selection process.

tOSU has played 5 games. Everyone else under consideration will have played 10 or more. That matters.

tOSU may not play any more games before the BCS teams are selected. This was the risk when the Big 10 and Pac 12 decided to start their seasons late, when the second wave was expected. The Big 10 generally and tOSU individually would not be in this position if not for the decision to first not play, and then, to play a limited schedule with expected COVID cancellations. It was expected for tOSU or any Big 10 team to get in, things would have to go perfectly. That did not happen. As an aside, think its reasonable to wonder how good tOSU is based upon their limited schedule. They played one other team having a decent season, and needed a 4th quarter pick 6 to beat Indiana, who lit up the tOSU defense, and Indiana hasn't done that to anybody, even Rutgers score 27 against the Buckeyes.

FWIW, I kind of want tOSU to get in and play Bama in the semis. tOSU's defense against Bama's weapons is a total mismatch (and I hate Bama, but tOSU begging to get in falls into the "be careful what you wish for" category).

Last edited:
Last year does not matter. LSU was the best team by far last year, but that has nothing to do with this year's selection process.

tOSU has played 5 games. Everyone else under consideration will have played 10 or more. That matters.

tOSU may not play any more games before the BCS teams are selected. This was the risk when the Big 10 and Pac 12 decided to start their seasons late, when the second wave was expected. The Big 10 generally and tOSU individually would not be in this position if not for the decision to first not play, and then, to play a limited schedule with expected COVID cancellations. It was expected for tOSU or any Big 10 team to get in, things would have to go perfectly. That did not happen. As an aside, think its reasonable to wonder how good tOSU is based upon their limited schedule. They played one other team having a decent season, and needed a 4th quarter pick 6 to beat Indiana, who lit up the tOSU defense, and Indiana hasn't done that to anybody, even Rutgers score 27 against the Buckeyes.

FWIW, I kind of want tOSU to get in and play Bama in the semis. tOSU's defense against Bama's weapons is a total mismatch (and I hate Bama, but tOSU begging to get in falls into the "be careful what you wish for" category).

Worked out pretty well the last time those two teams played in 2014 as 1 vs 4. And that year, tOSU lost to VT at home. The same VT team Wake beat 6-3 in double OT (cue obligatory Beamer gif). You could also argue that Justin Fields and co. would be champing at the bit to play a Bama D that gave up 48 points and 647 yards to Joey Freshwater and Ole Miss. Both teams have the horses and I think it would be a good game, though I'd certainly give the edge to Bama with tOSU's secondary issues.

tOSU fans despise the B1G and the lunatic fringe wants to either go independent or join the ACC. Neither will ever happen.

it was a third quarter pick six and restored a 21-point lead; OSU had 300 yards rushing in the game and dominated time of possession, led by 28 early 3rd quarter and were hampered by Fields making some dumb throws

do agree that Alabama will light that defense up, but not sure that isn't the case against every college team

Yeah let's just omit the team that's lost one game (in close, controversial fashion) in 2 calendar years.

Vegas has tOSU favored over A&M by 11.5 on a neutral field, FYI. Assuming Florida would be slightly less but similar.

I think my other posts pretty clearly illustrate my thoughts on this.

I don't have a problem with Ohio State. I'd rather see an undefeated OSU in over A&M or some other clearly mediocre team like ISU. But I do have an issue with them playing about half the games of the other teams up for that slot.

That's why I said the best outcome (in my eyes) would be where you can justify those 4 other teams (Bama UF Clemson ND) while omitting Ohio State. I also said that it probably won't happen.

it was a third quarter pick six and restored a 21-point lead; OSU had 300 yards rushing in the game and dominated time of possession, led by 28 early 3rd quarter and were hampered by Fields making some dumb throws

do agree that Alabama will light that defense up, but not sure that isn't the case against every college team

And why isn't beating Indiana anything other than a really good win? If it was PSU or Michigan with Indiana's resume, it would be viewed differently I think.

And why isn't beating Indiana anything other than a really good win? If it was PSU or Michigan with Indiana's resume, it would be viewed differently I think.

Yup. I'd argue the victory over Indiana is comparable with Clemson's win over Miami (and Clemson has a loss).

Clemson also will have played double digit games, and they won't get in if they don't beat ND on a neutral field, which would be the best win of any team in the country this year.

Indiana has a damn good team this year, Penn State and Michigan would kill to be as good right now.

Clemson also will have played double digit games, and they won't get in if they don't beat ND on a neutral field, which would be the best win of any team in the country this year.

What's the evidence for the idea that beating ND is an elite win? Because they've beaten ACC teams?

That all may be correct (I tend to think it is) but it assumes that running through an ACC schedule means something. Without the conferences playing non-conf games, we don't really know.

We have 3 SEC teams in the top 6 and the evidence they're all really good is because they've beaten other SEC teams, or each other. Again, it might be absolutely correct but it's still just an assumption based on historical biases and eye test. And of course, it's the same reason why OSU is in the top 4.

What's the evidence for the idea that beating ND is an elite win? Because they've beaten ACC teams?

That all may be correct (I tend to think it is) but it assumes that running through an ACC schedule means something. Without the conferences playing non-conf games, we don't really know.

We have 3 SEC teams in the top 6 and the evidence they're all really good is because they've beaten other SEC teams, or each other. Again, it might be absolutely correct but it's still just an assumption based on historical biases and eye test. And of course, it's the same reason why OSU is in the top 4.

Notre Dame has been massively overrated several times in the past, but I actually think this ND team is pretty legit. I don't know if they'll win the playoff, but barring getting embarrassed by Clemson in the ACC title game, I think they belong in.

The only evidence that teams have is the games that they have played. That's the problem with the Big 10. They haven't played enough games. Sorry, but if ND had 5 wins over one good ACC team, and 4 middling to bad teams, I would be leading the charge to keep them out. tOSU has played 5 games. When other teams have played twice as many or more, they have built up more data points to confirm how good they are. It appeared that Wisconsin was good, maybe elite, after 2 games, but playing games exposed them. I generally defend the Big 10 when from SEC attacks, but it's hard to give any team credit when they've only played 5 games. WF was 5-0 last year. Would that have been enough of a resume to get in the BCS playoff if WF had not played any other games? Of course not.

Last edited:
FWIW, the Big 10 changed its rules and allowed tOSU to play in the Big 10 CG. Here is the stated rationale:

"The decision was based on a competitive analysis which determined that Ohio State would have advanced to the Big Ten Football Championship Game based on its undefeated record and head-to-head victory over Indiana regardless of a win or loss against Michigan," the conference said.

Or, put another way, "we know tOSU hasn't played enough games to be a legit candidate for the BCS playoff, and we really want a team in the BCS payoff, so we changed the rules." BTW, not only does tOSU get to play in the Big 10 CG against NW, but they get a week off to prepare while NW has to play Illinois this week.

FWIW, the Big 10 changed its rules and allowed tOSU to play in the Big 10 CG. Here is the stated rationale:

"The decision was based on a competitive analysis which determined that Ohio State would have advanced to the Big Ten Football Championship Game based on its undefeated record and head-to-head victory over Indiana regardless of a win or loss against Michigan," the conference said.

Or, put another way, "we know tOSU hasn't played enough games to be a legit candidate for the BCS playoff, and we really want a team in the BCS payoff, so we changed the rules." BTW, not only does tOSU get to play in the Big 10 CG against NW, but they get a week off to prepare while NW has to play Illinois this week.

tOSU was a 30 point favorite, basically playing a mid-tier MAC team this week. Yet they could have lost by 30 and STILL gone to the B1G championship, had the game been played. But people are bitching because they arbitrarily changed a completely arbitrary rule that was haphazardly made by an ineptly run conference.

tOSU missed one game due to their own COVID issues. The B1G is the real enemy here.

tOSU was a 30 point favorite, basically playing a mid-tier MAC team this week. Yet they could have lost by 30 and STILL gone to the B1G championship, had the game been played. But people are bitching because they arbitrarily changed a completely arbitrary rule that was haphazardly made by an ineptly run conference.

tOSU missed one game due to their own COVID issues. The B1G is the real enemy here.

In previous years the Irish were supposedly punished by the committee for not having 13 data points like conference champ. I guess we will see if data points remain a point of emphasis.

In previous years the Irish were supposedly punished by the committee for not having 13 data points like conference champ. I guess we will see if data points remain a point of emphasis.

when was a deserving Notre Dame team left out of the playoff?

these are fun arguments because everyone is structuring their arguments without any consideration toward its impact on their preferred team or conference

LSU is self imposing a 1 year bowl ban for 2020-2021. How...opportunistic...of them.

Probably not a bad idea for every program to do. Do a protected bowl ban for everything except NYD and CFP bowls.

Back