• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The 2020-21 College Football Thread: Alabama Unleashes Bold Familiar Flavor on CFB !!

Awful coach? Or awful person?

Have no idea what he's like in person but he's far and away the best coach in the SEC East. However he's falling back to the pack as long as he continues to employee Todd Grantham.

Mark Stoops would be #2 with Drinkwitz close behind at #3. Big gap to #4 (Kirby) with an even bigger gap to #5 (Pruitt).

Shane Beamer and Vandy's hire are currently N/A.

More of just a clown human. I don't even follow/dislike Florida but this year he has:

1) Blamed his first loss on too many fans in the stands at A&M
2) Demands a full Swamp the following week in the middle of a pandemic
3) He and his entire program get COVID that same week
4) Runs 30 yards out onto the field yelling at officials and opposing players after a late hit on his QB, inciting a brawl
5) Comes back out of the tunnel after the brawl to pump the crowd up
6) Blames the schedule for 2 losses and said maybe they should have just played less games
7) Tries to legitimately argue that throwing a shoe after a play is over is a football move

Unclear if his wife still kisses his players on the mouth though. Perhaps that's why COVID spread.

More of just a clown human. I don't even follow/dislike Florida but this year he has:

1) Blamed his first loss on too many fans in the stands at A&M
2) Demands a full Swamp the following week in the middle of a pandemic
3) He and his entire program get COVID that same week
4) Runs 30 yards out onto the field yelling at officials and opposing players after a late hit on his QB, inciting a brawl
5) Comes back out of the tunnel after the brawl to pump the crowd up
6) Blames the schedule for 2 losses and said maybe they should have just played less games
7) Tries to legitimately argue that throwing a shoe after a play is over is a football move

Unclear if his wife still kisses his players on the mouth though. Perhaps that's why COVID spread.

In fairness, I'm pretty sure #6 was not actually making excuses. It was more along the lines of "We should've won those games so we wouldn't find ourselves in this position."

Dan Mullen is batshit crazy and a caricature of the hard-nosed, ultra-competitive old school football coach that has mostly become a relic (probably deservedly).

Having said that, he's also very good at his job and will likely keep Florida in the hunt for SEC & National Championships for as long as he doesn't cross a line that gets him fired.

As of yesterday:

Alabama with six 5-stars in the early period. Looks like they're not going to suck anytime soon. Ohio state with only four or five, including the #1 RB.

Georgia gets 5-star Brock Vanadgriff (#2 Dual Threat QB behind Caleb Williams to OU) and the #3 class

UGA followed by LSU, Clemson, Oregon, Florida, ND, Michigan?, and Oklahoma.

UNC-CH gets Drake Maye, #2 Pro QB out of Charlotte. #1 Pro QB is Sam Huard to UW.

There apparently are ongoing discussions about moving the College Football Playoff semifinal game out of the Rose Bowl. California is not allowing any fans at games. CFP Committee wanted at least players' families to be allowed to attend.

Pretty much guarantees Deacs to Charlotte. Looks like Clemson and ND to playoffs, UNC will get the OB(gross), NCSU to Gator, Miami to that Orlando bowl(cheezits?) and that leaves us to Charlotte and whoever else didn't ops out will go to that shitty Tampa bowl

The streak ends. VPI opts out of bowl consideration.

it's probably buried somewhere in this thread, but what's Wake's bowl status looking like? I know UVA and BC opted out (schools which value academics) and VPI and Pitt have now opted out as well.

I see people have us in the SERVPRO First Responder Bowl at Gerald J. Ford Stadium (Dallas) which I believe is SMU's home field

I'm always interested in seeing us play out of conference opponents, but if we lose to FSU and are sitting at 4-5 I really do feel like we aren't deserving of a bowl. At 5-4 I'd love to see us playing for 6-4 in a bowl though, especially against a great power 5 or one of the elite non-power 5 teams.

ETA - Saw this journal article weighing their options.
https://journalnow.com/sports/colle...cle_9beb87b8-3f11-11eb-8701-934044eae34f.html

it's probably buried somewhere in this thread, but what's Wake's bowl status looking like? I know UVA and BC opted out (schools which value academics) and VPI and Pitt have now opted out as well.

I see people have us in the SERVPRO First Responder Bowl at Gerald J. Ford Stadium (Dallas) which I believe is SMU's home field

I'm always interested in seeing us play out of conference opponents, but if we lose to FSU and are sitting at 4-5 I really do feel like we aren't deserving of a bowl. At 5-4 I'd love to see us playing for 6-4 in a bowl though, especially against a great power 5 or one of the elite non-power 5 teams.

https://journalnow.com/sports/colle...cle_9beb87b8-3f11-11eb-8701-934044eae34f.html

We'll end up in Charlotte. against BIG 10

We've been to bowls at 6-6 with two wins against cupcakes.

Pretty much guarantees Deacs to Charlotte. Looks like Clemson and ND to playoffs, UNC will get the OB(gross), NCSU to Gator, Miami to that Orlando bowl(cheezits?) and that leaves us to Charlotte and whoever else didn't ops out will go to that shitty Tampa bowl

I think that you are right. But this could be the year that we go to the Gator and State to Charlotte. They haven't been their in 5 years and the Gator has made it clear that they don't want to take Wake in most normal years. But with attendance not really a factor this season, they might want us so they can say that they have taken us recently.

Of course if ND beats Clemson, then we are looking at ND to the playoff, Clemson to the Orange, UNC to Orlando, NCSU to Gator, and Wake to Tampa.

I think that you are right. But this could be the year that we go to the Gator and State to Charlotte. They haven't been their in 5 years and the Gator has made it clear that they don't want to take Wake in most normal years. But with attendance not really a factor this season, they might want us so they can say that they have taken us recently.

Of course if ND beats Clemson, then we are looking at ND to the playoff, Clemson to the Orange, UNC to Orlando, NCSU to Gator, and Wake to Tampa.

I'd almost prefer this if it keeps UNC outta the OB.

Wake won the first Gator Bowl and hasn't been invited since. Undefeated!

So, in years they go to a bowl academics don't matter? Academics have nothing to do with the opt-outs this year. The players just want to get out of their bubbles and be around family.

So, in years they go to a bowl academics don't matter? Academics have nothing to do with the opt-outs this year. The players just want to get out of their bubbles and be around family.

Academics matter at Wake. In some bowl years, Wake has not had practice days because of academic and exam schedules. This year Wake has finished exams, so nothing in front of the players except football until January.

There apparently are ongoing discussions about moving the College Football Playoff semifinal game out of the Rose Bowl. California is not allowing any fans at games. CFP Committee wanted at least players' families to be allowed to attend.

I'll start the campaign, bring the Rose Bowl back to Wallace Wade!

1 Alabama beats 7 Florida (likely to happen). Florida is out with a 3rd loss.
2 Notre Dame beats 3 Clemson (possible). Clemson is out with 2 losses.
14 Northwestern beats 4 Ohio State (not likely to happen). Ohio State is out with just 1 loss because it only has 5 wins.

Do 5 Texas A&M and 6 Iowa State (assuming a win over OU) claim the last 2 spots? Hard to see Georgia or Cincinnati jumping Iowa State if ISU just won their conference. But then you have a team in the playoff that lost to the Ragin' Cajuns.

I'm all for seeing some fresh faces in the playoff. Even if Bama would absolutely destroy Iowa State.

The mental gymnastics used to include the blue blood schools is ridiculous. Let's just make it a tournament of conference champions already. Eight invites to top conference champions. If your conference is not among the top 8, then you are a big fish in a small pond. The CFP was supposed to eliminate this controversy. Tournament of conference champions finally does that. The Cincy's and former UCF's are happy, and conference title games become meaningful again. If your conference has two top 8 teams, then the conference title game becomes very important.

Back