• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The ACC - 2018-19 Basketball

Not ACC, but we're probably playing them next season.

In fairness, Luke Maye is never going to be an NBA player and nobody thought he was actually going to leave.

Doral Moore made a bad decision.

We’ll see which path Bryant Crawford chooses.

In fairness, Luke Maye is never going to be an NBA player and nobody thought he was actually going to leave.

Luke Maye just opened up a spot for him! His odds have improved!

There are plenty of college players who aren’t NBA players and nobody think they’ll leave. UNC gets them to stay.

Not ACC, but we're probably playing them next season.

The Mountaineer faithful agree that Sags is not a great pro prospect (yet) due to inability to guard on the wing (he's only 6'6") and lacking wing offensive skills. If we play them in November, he will have a field day if Crawford and Childress try to drive on him. Huggins has done a good job of compensating for his deficiencies. He is a fun player to watch. Attitude-wise, he reminds me of Chas McFarland. He's just nasty.

Is that dude really only 6'6? He sure as hell seems at least 6'8-6'9 while watching him play.

Is that dude really only 6'6? He sure as hell seems at least 6'8-6'9 while watching him play.

My Mountaineer fan next door told me this and I had the same reaction. His wing-span is closer to that of a 7 footer.

Midnight May 30 is the witching hour for Crawford to withdraw from the NBA draft and return to school.

Many Wake alums achieved this generation.

As stewards of Wake basketball, we failed. 30 more years of failure. The only debate is why.

Pilchard: “The answer is that a small campus arena plays no direct role in building an elite program. You can have a craptastic program with a cozy intimate arena, and you can have a National Champion at a small private school playing in massive off-campus NBA arena. On the list of things that need to change for WF to rebuild its basketball program, building a Cameron knock-off is not and should not be high on the list (or really even on the list)”

This is Wake Forest’s obvious conclusion as well. Can a team win out of a shack or a palace? Of course. Does that mean that the perfect home court isn’t critical? Of course not.

The following disagree with Wake Forest’s and their alums conclusion that the home court advantage isn’t important: recruits, players, coaches, commentators, and any number of others who actually college basketball games in 10-15 gyms a year.

Those who agree with Pilchard’s conclusion: those who come to the Joel on occasion

It’s clear after 60 years, the Wake Forest way has failed with regard to men’s basketball. It’s time to change Wake Forest’s path or we will continue to fail.

That's good and all, but Maye is a great college player and he's staying. Doral more was never going to be an NBA player either, yet he left and didn't come back. At this point, it will be shocking if Crawford returns. I think he's as good as gone too.

Since this is an ACC thread, and this wasn't posted, I thought I would add it. Since the OP started this, Virginia has added two players to its roster. Francisco Caffaro, a 7'0", 233 lbs. center from Argentina, by way of the NBA Global Academy in Australia will be a true frosh next year. UVa also accepted Alabama transfer Braxton Key, a 6'8", 225 lb forward. Key will sit next season, and he will have two years of eligibility remaining in the fall of '19. Key was originally recruited by Bennett in the summer of '15, but when De'Andre Hunter committed, Virginia quit pursuing him. Conventional wisdom says Hunter will enter the draft next spring, so Key should help fill that void. Also, not noted earlier, Frankie Badocchi, 6'7", 185 lbs (last summer) will be a redshirt first year next fall.

Since this is an ACC thread, and this wasn't posted, I thought I would add it. Since the OP started this, Virginia has added two players to its roster. Francisco Caffaro, a 7'0", 233 lbs. center from Argentina, by way of the NBA Global Academy in Australia will be a true frosh next year. UVa also accepted Alabama transfer Braxton Key, a 6'8", 225 lb forward. Key will sit next season, and he will have two years of eligibility remaining in the fall of '19. Key was originally recruited by Bennett in the summer of '15, but when De'Andre Hunter committed, Virginia quit pursuing him. Conventional wisdom says Hunter will enter the draft next spring, so Key should help fill that void. Also, not noted earlier, Frankie Badocchi, 6'7", 185 lbs (last summer) will be a redshirt first year next fall.

All that matters at UVA is can the recruit play pack-line defense. They hang their hat as a school on games where they win 54-47 .... exciting. Obviously the fans enjoy the wins, but as a player I'd be bored out of my mind.

All that matters at UVA is can the recruit play pack-line defense. They hang their hat as a school on games where they win 54-47 .... exciting. Obviously the fans enjoy the wins, but as a player I'd be bored out of my mind.

Many players would rather win 54-47 than lose 98-91.

And if "all that matters at UVA is can the recruit play pack-line defense," you have to wonder why Bennett chased Keyshawn Woods so hard.

The pack-line defense doesn't make UVA boring, it's their 28 second offensive possessions...which like Alpha said, I'd take winning 9-8 right now.

Back