• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The ACC - 2018-19 Basketball

Duke & UNC are putting up Instagram hype videos for every game with hashtags like #TheBrotherhood and #CarolinaFamily. This generation of kids eat it up and want to be part of it.

Ron still believes the internet is a fad. Occassionaly we get a black and gold still pic on Wake’s IGram reminding us of gametime and the location of the Joel.

Our alums laugh and say these little things don’t matter. That’s why their businesses suck too.

Apart from the totally unnecessary and ridiculous potshot about your fellow alumni's businesses, I agree with everything here and in the previous post.

That is in part because the Carolina basketball experience is a fun one. Wake's isn't. We play home games in front of 2-4K people in a stadium 5 times that size. Can you imagine how humiliating that must be for the players? I mean this is your big moment, the one you have practiced and dreamed of and no one is there.

Our AD has been checked out for 2 decades publicly and thinks he is a corporate suit. Yesterday we have graduation and a woman win an NCAA title. Hey, Ron, think it might be a good day to head up to the quad and take your picture with a few student athletes and put it up on twitter like every other AD in the country?

Playing in this environment just isn't good. We can't get players--and then we can't keep them. They would rather play for the Greensboro Swarm and not get a degree. It is that bad.

I mean it's always a lot more fun when you win. Carolina wins and Wake doesn't. That simple. It's not about stadium size, it's about coaching..... Get the right m'fer in here and see what happens.

Apart from the totally unnecessary and ridiculous potshot about your fellow alumni's businesses, I agree with everything here and in the previous post.

Yea, the gloves are most certainly off. I tried to be patient through a decade of horrific decisions. No more. Not causing a seen to fix this is squarely on us. It’s our team. Ron has to go.

I see after I called him out he somehow located that twitter password that had been missing for 6 months. Purely coincedental, I’m sure.

I mean it's always a lot more fun when you win. Carolina wins and Wake doesn't. That simple. It's not about stadium size, it's about coaching..... Get the right m'fer in here and see what happens.

Go through Zion Williamson’s twitter account. If you’re still thinking social media had nothing to do with his college choice then I really can’t help you.

Yea, the gloves are most certainly off. I tried to be patient through a decade of horrific decisions. No more. Not causing a seen to fix this is squarely on us. It’s our team. Ron has to go.

I see after I called him out he somehow located that twitter password that had been missing for 6 months. Purely coincedental, I’m sure.

Seen

That is in part because the Carolina basketball experience is a fun one. Wake's isn't. We play home games in front of 2-4K people in a stadium 5 times that size. Can you imagine how humiliating that must be for the players? I mean this is your big moment, the one you have practiced and dreamed of and no one is there.

Our AD has been checked out for 2 decades publicly and thinks he is a corporate suit. Yesterday we have graduation and a woman win an NCAA title. Hey, Ron, think it might be a good day to head up to the quad and take your picture with a few student athletes and put it up on twitter like every other AD in the country?

Playing in this environment just isn't good. We can't get players--and then we can't keep them. They would rather play for the Greensboro Swarm and not get a degree. It is that bad.

I agree our atmosphere and attendance has been sorely lacking - mostly because we haven't been winning. But, when is the last time we played in front of "2-4k" people? By all means make your point, but stop exaggerating...

I agree our atmosphere and attendance has been sorely lacking - mostly because we haven't been winning. But, when is the last time we played in front of "2-4k" people? By all means make your point, but stop exaggerating...

I would say we averaged about 4000 this year among the bottom 10 home games. We had 2500 for the Georgia Tech. I took a pic from the top at tip. Wish I knew how to post it. Abysmal.

If we double our attendance (we won’t), it would still look abysmal.

But what do I know? I want to win in men’s basketball. I’m clearly in the minority. Majority of Wake alums like chasing Olympic sport titles. Wrestling, hunting and such. Or whatever it was. Riveting.

Well, it is better than sucking at those sports too.

Sure it is. I’m damn proud of the debate team. Don’t see any staffers celebrating over them. Can’t blame them for seizing on any happiness. But the reality is the only sport that will ever matter at Wake is men’s basketball. I mean sliding in the El Paso bowl is fun and all. And I’m damn proud of Dave Clawson for his amazing work. But we aren’t going to the CFP ever. We can, however, get back to the Final 4. We can win in basketball.

The reality is we chose to invest in new home facilities for nearly every sport except basketball. The last time we built a home basketball stadium was 1935. The results have been predictable. The time has come.

More people need to realize that college basketball is a garbage product. Agree that we need a smaller arena for garbage product.

Isn't what the plans for the Joel are basically very similar to what we did with the football stadium? Starting renovations? Obviously we can't do anything as big as the Deacon Tower for basketball but the right renovations can probably make it really close ideal - aside from being on campus that is.

Bottom line for me is that you win basketball games and people will show up whether the arena is exactly what you want it to be or not.

I am sure that it was DR's criticism that got Ron Wellman to post on twitter and not the fact that Wake won an individual and team NCAA title in two days. A legend in his own mind.

I'm all for trashing Wellman, but I can't imagine he has all that much day-to-day interest in our social media channels/strategy. That's 100% on sports marketing and our coaching staffs.

Bottom line for me is that you win basketball games and people will show up whether the arena is exactly what you want it to be or not.

Your approach has certainly won the day at Wake. Many, many agree with you on this topic and have for decades.

And we've sucked for decades.

I'm all for trashing Wellman, but I can't imagine he has all that much day-to-day interest in our social media channels/strategy. That's 100% on sports marketing and our coaching staffs.

It's clear nearly every AD in the country disagrees. Can you imagine how much busier the job is at UNC than Wake? Check out Bubba Cunningham's twitter presence. The players love it.

If I was an incoming recruit I doubt whether the 70 year old AD is on Twitter or not will be a deciding factor. I'd be more worried about and involved with the coach and my future teammates.

Your approach has certainly won the day at Wake. Many, many agree with you on this topic and have for decades.

And we've sucked for decades.

So the arena is more important than winning? When we win, we pack the Joel. When we don't win, we don't pack the Joel. There are plenty of examples of this with just Wake Forest basketball the last 15 years.

Not saying a new arena wouldn't be nice, but with the same product it's not going to matter. People don't show up to watch losing teams.

lol, please show me examples of the basketball team LOVING Bubba Cunningham's Twitter presence.

Back