• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Bzzzz effect....

I'm hearing the same thing. The pressure has been there for several years with decreased athletic donations. However Ron was initially given a longer leash with [Redacted] likely due to increased money from the new ACC TV deal. However, the response to Wake Will isn't what they wanted it to be so far. This is likely multifactorial, but [Redacted] believed to be the primary factor. Hatch, the trustees and "academics" were tolerant enough of [Redacted] going wrecking ball on the basketball program and AD, but when it started to affect the general fund and their biggest project in a very long time, they dropped the hammer and told Wellman the game was over.

Of course, this response to Wellman's folly was completely obvious to anybody with a clue. They powers that be caused that themselves. Fire [Redacted] last March and Wake Will kicks off with a bang. Doesn't take a genius.

Of course, this response to Wellman's folly was completely obvious to anybody with a clue. They powers that be caused that themselves. Fire [Redacted] last March and Wake Will kicks off with a bang. Doesn't take a genius.

I'm not so sure about that. There were plenty of people on this board who strongly believed that contributions to the general fund should be viewed as completely separate from donations to athletics/Deacon club. I would speculate that initially there was a greater disparity between decreased athletic giving and decreased general giving. But as time went on the general giving likely started to take a larger proportional hit too...whether this be from frustrated alumni who had no other way to show their displeasure...or from progessive apathy.

I'm hearing the same thing. The pressure has been there for several years with decreased athletic donations. However Ron was initially given a longer leash with [Redacted] likely due to increased money from the new ACC TV deal. However, the response to Wake Will isn't what they wanted it to be so far. This is likely multifactorial, but [Redacted] believed to be the primary factor. Hatch, the trustees and "academics" were tolerant enough of [Redacted] going wrecking ball on the basketball program and AD, but when it started to affect the general fund and their biggest project in a very long time, they dropped the hammer and told Wellman the game was over.

Now THIS is quite the story that wakedeac98 has brought us.

So now we have internet reliable info that our hoops coach has single handidly submarined the entire WAKE WILL campaign....this is truely remarkable stuff folks !

zgg -

i was bowling during the first half and getting busy with my girlfriend during the second half. both of which i would have passed up on to watch wake basketball in the not too distant past.

Wait, did your girlfriend go bowling with you ? How many games did you bowl ? Do you have your very own Brunswick ball ? If so, what color ? Are you in a league with team t-shirts ? So after bowling, some gropin' / smoochin' and a Marlboro followed and then you actually broke free to catch the last 5 minutes of the game. Was that before or after a shower ?

But as time went on
Sure..as time went on the Bz issue turned into Bz + Grobe/football problems leading to a major WellmanOut campaign. Those are a lot of hits to the most visible connection to alumni. Fixing football was a start and maybe they thought that would be enough, but Wellman's festering problem was bball and that's been the marquee Wake sport. We'll see.

Last edited:
59 according to ESPN, too. That system is so flawed. If Wake somehow finishes 9-9 in conference, we will be squarely on the bubble. We already have five top-100 wins, and 9-9 would mean at least five or six more.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/rpi/_/page/1/sort/RPI

You are dreaming if you think we will be on the bubble at 9-9. Our projected RPI at 19-12 is 74.

22 is the magic number to get into the NCAA tournament.

Maybe 21, but I think that is pushing it.

Last edited:
i was bowling during the first half and getting busy with my girlfriend during the second half. both of which i would have passed up on to watch wake basketball in the not too distant past. i did catch the last 5 minutes and my mood went from a 10 to a 2 after just a few moments of watching buzzball. my celebration after the codi shot was pathetic compared to my reaction when chris beat state back in the day. i dont even feel like a fan anymore. fuck you, ron wellman.

At least you got laid.

You are dreaming if you think we will be on the bubble at 9-9. Our projected RPI at 19-12 is 74.

ov

Agreed. But a possible scenario could arise where Wake has no RPI sub-100 losses (home wins over Georgia Tech and BC plus a road win over Virginia Tech would all but guarantee this) and home wins over FSU and Duke (both likely RPI top-25 victories) along with nine or ten other top-100 wins. The lousy road/neutral performance (2-12 before the ACCT) and poor non-conference SOS would probably keep us out. A lot of what-ifs, but Wake would offer an interesting profile to the committee.

Last edited:
Now THIS is quite the story that wakedeac98 has brought us.

So now we have internet reliable info that our hoops coach has single handidly submarined the entire WAKE WILL campaign....this is truely remarkable stuff folks !

zgg -

Wait, did your girlfriend go bowling with you ? How many games did you bowl ? Do you have your very own Brunswick ball ? If so, what color ? Are you in a league with team t-shirts ? So after bowling, some gropin' / smoochin' and a Marlboro followed and then you actually broke free to catch the last 5 minutes of the game. Was that before or after a shower ?

your wife filmed everything in its entirety to rub off to later on..

Agreed. But a possible scenario could arise where Wake has no RPI sub-100 losses (home wins over Georgia Tech and BC plus a road win over Virginia Tech would all but guarantee this) and home wins over FSU and Duke (both likely RPI top-25 victories) along with nine or ten other top-100 wins. The lousy road/neutral performance (2-12 before the ACCT) and poor non-conference SOS would probably keep us out. A lot of what-ifs, but Wake would offer an interesting profile to the committee.

I'm not sure myself and others on the board would actually want this to happen for obvious reasons though...

One aspect of the bzzz effect for me is that I'm more interested in seeing if this is the year Clemson will finally beat UNC than I am in the outcome of any particular Wake game.

It's an awful way to be, but I'm just being honest.

One aspect of the bzzz effect for me is that I'm more interested in seeing if this is the year Clemson will finally beat UNC than I am in the outcome of any particular Wake game.

It's an awful way to be, but I'm just being honest.

Can't see it, Clemson even lost in Crapel Hill when UNC had had that terrible year back in the early 2000's.

Moot point- we're headed towards 15 wins or so and the end of this Bzzaster!

zqg -

My wife passed away 5 years ago.

Back to you....

probably something you should not say anytime to anyone.

probably something you should not say anytime to anyone.

obviously someone forgot to put the training wheels on your web browser. i don't think you understand how this whole internet thing works...

Living outside of ACC country, I use to seek out sports bars which would have a feed to a Wake game (I don't get ESPN3). Now, I seldom watch even the games which are broadcast on ESPN or ESPN2. I only watched the Carolina game (the Carolina game!) because we had a late change in our plans - I was disappointed in the change of plans.

And now when we win a game, I fear we will win just enough that our horrid coach keeps his job. How the universe has changed. Thanks Bzzzz...

Of course, I watched the UNC game wondering how we were going to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory - so some things never change....

Back