• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Coen brothers' best film

Pick one

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
real tough poll.

BEST film: Fargo

favorite film: Lebowski

Might could agree with you here. My favorite thing about Fargo wasn't about the movie, though. I went to see it with my girlfriend at the time, and it was a full theater. And as Marge approaches the house, and you hear the growing noise of a power machine, and the whole place is silent, my girlfriend excitedly says loud enough for everyone to hear, "It's a woodchipper!"

I'll go outside of the box and say Burn After Reading.

Holy necro, BSF.

I'm going:
1.) Fargo
2.) A Serious Man
3.) No Country for Old Men
4.) The Big Lebowski
5.) Miller's Crossing
6.) Blood Simple
7.) Burn After Reading
8.) Inside Llewyn Davis
9.) Raising Arizona
10.) True Grit
11.) O Brother, Where Art Thou?
12.) Intolerable Cruelty

I haven't seen Barton Fink, The Man Who Wasn't There, or Hudsucker Proxy, and I don't remember the Ladykillers.

That movie sucked, RSF is a just a hipsters hipster.

Pretty tough poll.

I think popular opinion would probably be Raising Arizona, Big Lebowski, and No Country.

I think I was one of about 4 people that really appreciated a Serious Man. Miller's Crossing is a popular movie amongst critics. I really enjoyed the Hudsucker Proxy when I finally saw it. O Brother is fun. Fargo is amusing.

I think it kind of depends on what mood you're in. I went Miller's Crossing.

never seen millers crossing but i agree with all this, with big lebowski slightly above all the rest. a serious man has some awesome, awesome subtle humor in it.

in a serious man...what does the opening with the dybbuk mean? it has to have some significance, coen bros wouldn't just put something random in without a deeper meaning would they?

in a serious man...what does the opening with the dybbuk mean? it has to have some significance, coen bros wouldn't just put something random in without a deeper meaning would they?

"sins of the father" allegory iirc

Anybody else see Inside Llewyn Davis? Coen Bros. best effort in a while, would be in my top 5.

I really liked it, loved it even. RSF was meh, said it was the same movie as "A Serious Man".

How strange. I was talking with somebody just yesterday about how I enjoy all the Coen brothers flicks, but none of them really strike me as rewatchable (maybe Fargo...never really got into Lebowski). Then I came home and was flipping through the channels and saw that No Country was on IFC and watched the entire damn thing through commercial breaks and all until 1:45am. I forgot that they did that flick.

Fargo, Lebowski and The Ladykillers are my top 3, not necessarily in that order though.

Been meaning to watch Barton Fink and Miller's Crossing, but just did a quick search on my phone and neither are available on netflix streaming anymore?

eta- Barton Fink is still on Netflix

Last edited:
Back