• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Electoral College

i'll eat a strip of bacon for every new thread started by moonz today

ah yes, enlightened democracy. you know, where we reinforce that the elites don't want actual democracy

I stopped reading after this huge pile of shit:

"The negative views of today's academics are starkly at odds with the universal admiration for the system at the time it was created. Alexander Hamilton, for instance, publicly deemed the Electoral College "excellent.8 Other delegates at the Constitutional Convention agreed with him: They viewed the Electoral College as one of the new Constitution's great achievements. Today's unenthusiastic views would almost certainly surprise these early patriots."

Oh, shit, the dudes who created it thought it was awesome at the time they created it. Helpful!

I stopped reading after this huge pile of shit:

"The negative views of today's academics are starkly at odds with the universal admiration for the system at the time it was created. Alexander Hamilton, for instance, publicly deemed the Electoral College "excellent.8 Other delegates at the Constitutional Convention agreed with him: They viewed the Electoral College as one of the new Constitution's great achievements. Today's unenthusiastic views would almost certainly surprise these early patriots."

Oh, shit, the dudes who created it thought it was awesome at the time they created it. Helpful!

As would: cars, planes, computers, cruise missiles, nukes, pluto's existence, the red wedding, etc

ah yes, enlightened democracy. you know, where we reinforce that the elites don't want actual democracy

Freaking elitist Framers. Too bad our nation wasn't founded by a more enlightened group. Just having trouble coming up with an example of one right now.

you do realize that the framers were basically all aristocrats who limited voting right out of the gate, right?

you do realize that the framers were basically all aristocrats who limited voting right out of the gate, right?

Yes I do. Now put aside your disgust with the fact that they were 18th century aristocrats who didn't have your 21st century sensibilities, can you name a greater document of governance ever written?

Yes I do. Now put aside your disgust with the fact that they were 18th century aristocrats who didn't have your 21st century sensibilities, can you name a greater document of governance ever written?

so you agree with me that the Right is hypocritical, cool

re: governance documents. i dont' know, the Magna Carta is probably more important than the US Constitution. Hammurabi's Code is probably a good candidate. the Code of Justinian.

All frameworks that lasted longer than the US (so far).

Can we agree that it is a great gotdam governance document but the EC part sucks now and should be update/changed?

Representation needs re-calibrated.

The EC is working very well. It just prevented the disaster of electing Hillary Clinton. The founders got it right, especially as far as the last election is concerned.

The US has helped set up many constitutional regimes since WWII. We haven't given anyone our system of government. :thinking emoji:

Back