• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Electoral College

lol what? I watched snl this weekend. I saw the video. I don't know what you numbnuts are trying to say? Honestly I thought the video was not shocking. I expect this from SNL what is so hard to grasp.

Expect what?

The logical consequence of your position is that a pledge should also be unconstitutional insofar as requiring electors to give a pledge interferes with their free choice of who to vote for. Putting the merits of the original meaning argument aside (and I admit that there is something to that argument), given SCOTUS precedent and the long history of electors voting in accord with the popular vote of their state, it is just not very likely that the SCOTUS would ever strike down laws requiring electors to do so.

The pledge is arguably part of the "selection" process which is explicitly left to the state legislatures. In theory it doesn't infringe upon free speech because the state is not required to grant you that forum.

Once you have been selected for that forum, penalizing you (or threatening to penalize you) for speaking a certain way would seem to be problematic.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...op724pm:homepage/story&utm_term=.9703952f4f32

After Clinton wins Virginia, state Republicans try to change how votes are tallied

A bill advancing in the Virginia House of Representatives would end the familiar "winner take all" system of awarding the state's presidential electoral votes and replace it with a system to award electoral votes by congressional district, similar to what's currently done in Maine and Nebraska.

The goal is a noble one. Under the winner take all system, the votes of people who opted for a candidate other than the statewide winner are quite literally not counted when the electoral college convenes in December. If votes were allocated by congressional district, the final electoral vote tally could more closely represent the statewide popular vote mix.

In 2016, for instance, Hillary Clinton won 49.8 percent of Virginia's popular vote but 100 percent of its 13 electoral votes. Had those votes been allocated by congressional district instead, Clinton would have received only 7 while Trump got 6.

This may seem like a more fair outcome, until you recall that in Virginia, as in most states, partisan lawmakers decide how congressional districts are drawn. In many cases, lawmakers will draw them to give their own party an advantage at the expense of others, a process known as gerrymandering.

[This is the best explanation of gerrymandering you will ever see]

For an example of how this skews democracy, consider the case of Pennsylvania. In 2012, 51 percent of voters in the state voted for a Democratic House candidate. But because of the way the congressional districts were drawn, Democrats only won five out of the state's 18 House seats.

People who want the popular vote deciding it don't get that half the country can just move to one city and state then change the income tax to a national property tax and fuck everyone else.

There's a reason the system is in place, it's the best system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

People who want the popular vote deciding it don't get that half the country can just move to one city and state then change the income tax to a national property tax and fuck everyone else.

Because the president unilaterially passes tax law? Another Palma winner

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Because the president unilaterially passes tax law? Another Palma winner

Seems like this president can do pretty much whatever he wants

Seems is the operative word.

But he is the most powerful president of any of our lifetimes because he doesn't need to be diplomatic in domestic affairs. In fact he was elected because he's the opposite

His power is due to expanded executive authority rights and a congress of his party in power.

Yes there is a reason and the reason is slavery preservation.

Back